Yankee Trails bus from Newburgh, NY

SnowshoeCat

I was planning on taking the train to NY, but someone here mentioned Yankee Trails Cruise Express. Thank you! Seems like the way to go. The stop in Newburgh is at the Wal-Mart and I can leave my car there for the week. Has anybody done that? Aside from driving through and using its airport once or twice, I don't know much about Newburgh. I know there are no guarantees, but in general, does it seem okay to just leave my car there?

It looks like you are on the Gem?? Not sure, but from your posts, it appears you were looking at Amtrak? If you are NOT aware- Metro North is a far cheaper option than this bus, and runs hourly. At $28 round trip to Grand Central, with $25/week parking in Poughkeepsi. A cab is about $12 each way to the ship. But, I always take the 42 bus and walk to the pier- $2.25 each way.

I'm still deciding ;) I just looked into Metro North yesterday out of Beacon. Definitely the cheapest way to go, and I don't need a reservation. I was concerned about Grand Central, but according to a post I just read on the NCL board, the pier is at 48th, not 55th St (like I thought). I'm leaning towards MN. I just like trains better than busses. But on the bus, I can meet some fellow travelers. And yes, it's the Gem.

Where do I pick up the 42 bus (would that be the 42nd St bus?)? I usually take the subway, but cross town is tricky. Thanks for the input!

Budget Queen! I just saw you're in Syracuse! Me too. So is Metro North your preferred method of transport?

I'm still deciding ;) I just looked into Metro North yesterday out of Beacon. Definitely the cheapest way to go, and I don't need a reservation. I was concerned about Grand Central, but according to a post I just read on the NCL board, the pier is at 48th, not 55th St (like I thought). I'm leaning towards MN. I just like trains better than busses. But on the bus, I can meet some fellow travelers. And yes, it's the Gem.

Where do I pick up the 42 bus (would that be the 42nd St bus?)? I usually take the subway, but cross town is tricky. Thanks for the input!

Budget Queen! I just saw you're in Syracuse! Me too. So is Metro North your preferred method of transport?

Yes, I take Metro North all the time, but Beacon has very limited parking, unless you are coming in on a weekend. Otherwise, you are best to get there early, so to "follow" someone leaving getting off from the northbound train, then get the train when it comes back.

Yes, 42 ST. Bus, there are no subways to the pier. You get the bus, right outside Grand Central- on 42st St. IF you don't have a Metro Card, stop at the lower level subway station and buy a card. Otherwise- you need all coin- no bills.

I've done this many times with NCL. I pack light, have quality rolling bags, and have no problem walking to the ship from the bus stop on 12th.

On 42 St, be certain to board a bus marked as route "M42" destined for "42 St / 12 Av (42 St Pier)." There are also buses marked as route "M104" destined for "West 129 St / Amsterdam Av," and route "M42" destined for "Jacob Javits Convention Center," but neither of these routes will directly serve the terminal at the westernmost end of 42 St. The last stop will be on the west side of 12th Av, between 41 and 42 Sts. The Manhattan Cruise Terminal is on the west side of 12 Av, at 48 St (Pier 88), 50 St (Pier 90), and 52 St (Pier 92).

Thanks for the bus info. I think I have a Metro Card lying around, but if it hasn't expired, it may only have 50 cents on it. Really, if it's a nice day, I may just walk (at least part way). I pack light and I've walked my luggage all over. After being on a train (or plane, or bus) I like the exercise. It's nice to have options!

Oh, and I'll arrive at Beacon early Saturday morning. That should be okay, right?

It is not a "short" walk between Grand Central Terminal and the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, but it is not excessive either. I would probably take the bus in most cases, but if it is a nice day, I have the time, and I'm not unduly burdened I would certainly consider making the walk. Leave Beacon early on Saturday morning and allocate sufficient time to walk. It is approximately 1.7 miles on the most direct route, just over half an hour to walk at a normal speed.

Thanks for the bus info. I think I have a Metro Card lying around, but if it hasn't expired, it may only have 50 cents on it. Really, if it's a nice day, I may just walk (at least part way). I pack light and I've walked my luggage all over. After being on a train (or plane, or bus) I like the exercise. It's nice to have options!

Oh, and I'll arrive at Beacon early Saturday morning. That should be okay, right?

As I mentioned, you can easily fill your Metro Card, on the down ramp at 42 St. in Grand Central at the subway entrance- no stairs.

Yes, you will not have any problem with parking. Be sure to note your parking spot number, you will need it at the parking fee machine. Enter your total days, including the one you arrive, through the day you leave. It's automatically calculated, free weekends.

Archived