Panama Canal ~ Please Tell Me All About It

We are just back from our first cruise (western caribbean on the Mariner of the Seas) and ready to go again. This time we are thinking doing the 10-day Panama Canal on the Brilliance of the Seas. Can anyone tell me about their experiences on this cruise? How about the ship ~ how will it compare to the Voyager class MOS? And what exactly happens in the Panama Canal ~ the port of call that day is listed as "Panama Canal (cruising" ~ what does that mean. Thank!!

Guest THE EDS

Just returned from the Panama Canal cruise Dec 20. The canal is truly one of the wonders of the world a must do, sailed on the Coral Princesss which I would not recommend for a few reason although personal choice is terrific. Have not sailed RCCL yet but will be sailing July on Enchantment of the Seas so I can't be of any help there. Any Panama Canal cruise is worth the effort

THE EDS

We have been on the short canal cruise twice and enjoyed it both times.

The ship goes through the Gatun Locks and enters Gatun Lake to sail around for awhile. Then the ship turns around to go back throuigh the locks and there are some shore excursions available. Those participating in the shore excursions get off the ship and then the ship continues through the locks and stops at Colon where you may get off and do some sightseeing or shop in the new shopping area right next to the pier. On our cruises, we also made a stop at the San Blas Islands which was very interesting. The islands are inhabited by the Cuna Indians and they have many crafts stands there where you can purchase items that are hand made by the Cuna's. When we were there we bought an item that they make called "Molas" which are cloth items about 12" or so square and are embroidered with all sorts of colors and designs. Anyway, the bottom line is that this is a very intertesting and informative cruise and I would reccommend it to anyone.;)

We sailed on the Serenade this past October thru the Panama Canal and it was one of the most enjoyable cruises we have taken. Yes, it is an amazing wonder to see. We did the 12 day from San Diego to San Juan and stopped at many places along the way. It is an opportunity you shouldn't miss (that and Alaska).

If you continue to cruise, there are so many places to go and people to meet. Just try to take advantage of all the places available. You can't get bored and you have so much to enjoy.

We sailed on the Brilliance this past December through the Panama Canal. The ship itself is beautiful. Our asst. waiter told us she is going into drydock this spring for new carpeting, etc. so she will look even better. The canal experience is basically what howard6933 said it was. You go through the locks, anchor in Gatun Lake while those that have shore excursions booked get off, and then sail back through the same set of locks. Panama does have a fun little shopping area at Colon that has the basic 'flea market' items.

If you have the opportunity to sail the Panama Canal, by all means do it. It is a real engineering marvel.

Hi there,

My husband and I are going on the Serenade of the Seas in October to Panama. We'd love to hear any info you would have. Please spare no details. I am so excited about going to Panama.:) :)

Thanks in advance and take care,

Peggy

Mringenoldus, we only booked one excursion, that was to see the Cliff Divers in Aculpulco (nice but too hot). We did everything else on our own, because so many things were way too long for us (6- 8 hrs). My hubby was having difficulty with his circulation in his leg and did not want to go for that long of a time. We went to the beach in Aruba, my sister did the parasailing. We did shopping and sightseeing on our own. There were 4 of us so we just took cabs. We did not get off in Panama, as only those that booked an excursion could do so. I am sorry I can't recommend excusions, but one thing I can say is that they must make sure they always have a bottle of water with them as it is so hot.

Your parents will love it, the Gatun lake was beautiful, just sailing thru it, sitting on the balcony was so peaceful.

I AM CURRENTLY ON PRINCESS CORAL NOW AND AM LEAVING IN 2 HOURS DUE TO THE RUDE, OBNOXIOUS TREATMENT OF THIS STAFF AND BORING BOAT EVER ON!!!!!!!!!!!! MY HUSBAND TOOK ILL AND BECAUSE OF THEIR LEGAL BULL**** THEY ARE KICKING US OFF THE BOAT -- I AM SENDING THIS OUT TO ANY ONE OUT THERE CONSIDERING CRUISING THIS PIECE OF CRAP BOAT!

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND CARNIVAL/ROYAL CARIB BEST BOATS OUT THERE -- PRINCESS IS SNOTTY, BORING AND RUDE! I AM NEVER NEVER CRUISING ON THEM AGAIN -- THEY STINK! :mad:

Guest THE EDS

I agree with the above posting, why isn't the post concerning the Coral Princess posted on the Princess board??????????????

THE EDS

Hi there,

My husband and I are going on the Serenade of the Seas in October to Panama. We'd love to hear any info you would have. Please spare no details. I am so excited about going to Panama.:) :)

Thanks in advance and take care,

Peggy

Here's our review from October 2004 aboard Radiance of the Seas from San Diego to Miami through the Panama Canal.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=7522

It was a very enjoyable and relaxing 14 days, the 14 days really spoliled us, we are going on a 7 day Cruise in about 3 weeks, not sure how we are going to like going back to JUST a 7 day cruise.

After you read our review if you have any other questions we would be happy to answer.

Took a ton of pictures also

http://community.webshots.com/user/jimbochap

Jimbo & Diz

222088129ilGbRd_ph.jpg

We've done two 14-day trans-canal cruises on Infinity San Diego to Ft. Lauderdale (both in early December 2002 and 2003)....Absolutely wonderful cruises. Agree 14-day has spoiled us for "just" 7-day cruises - but, oh well: I'll take any thing I can get that will get me on a ship! Just wish RCCL or "X" would home port a ship on the Scioto River here in Central Ohio:D :D .

Would NOT hesitate to book a trans-canal on any Celebrity or Royal Carribean ship....you'll have a great time.

Oh, yes: We hired a cab at the pier in Acapolco(sp? sorry I'm tired) and for about $50 (tip included) we got about a 4 hour tour of the area including the Cliff Diving area (although we weren't interested in staying for the show our driver did encourage us to stay). Felt we saw a lot for the price.

The only ship's tour we took was in Costa Rica: We did the coffee plantation tour and lunch. The ride up into the mountains / volcano was beautiful (if you could look beyond the poverty) and the plantation tour was excellent. Lunch was not.

Archived