best ship for western caribbean cruise?

racknlube

my husband and I are celebrating our 40th anniversary by taking our 2 kids (and their sig others) on a cruise. We have been to the eastern and southern caribbean, so figured the western would be a good choice. This will be in July or early August of this year. Some of the western cruises stop in Haiti - wonder if they still stop there after the earthquake? Any ideas, tips, different cruise ideas?

Thanks.

I always wonder at these questions. You don't name what ships you have already been on, what you like/are interested in/want to avoid, price range, etc.

Highly recommend you visit a TA that specializes in cruises to get started and see what's out there. Then you can come back and ask more specific questions. Have fun planning and congratulations on your anniversary.

We have been to the Eastern, Southern and Western all several times. The Western route allows you to go to Mayan ruins if that is something that would interest you. It was the reason we did the Western route for our first cruise. We were able to see Mayan ruins at two of our ports. Costa Maya, Cozumel and Cancun are Mexican stops that would allow Mayan ruin visit.

Many Western cruises stop at the Cayman Islands. It is a good place for beach or snorkel time. But it has no dock so all ships have to tender in their passengers which can limit the time you end up having ashore.

Since you mention stops in Haiti I am going to assume you are thinking about RCL or Celebrity which I believe are the only two lines that go there. They are still visiting their private beach area in spite of the earthquake and dropping off relief supplies at every port visit.

Roatan is another great beach and snorkel stop that has become popular with the Western route.

There is less shopping than the Eastern route with no stops in the USVI or Puerto Rico to get the extra liquor allowance that is allowed when ships stop there.

Some ships stop in Key West which is a nice way to allow people who haven't ever been there to at least have a short visit and see if they would be interested in coming back.

I'm not sure if this is the kind of info you are looking for so I will stop running on and on.

Have a great next cruise and happy anniversary.

the Mayan ruins would be something different and interesting - we have been to St Thomas, St Croix, St John, St Marteen, Nassau, BVI, - we love to snorkel, really don't like to shop. We do love to eat, drink good wines and beer, and enjoy a good show. We could do without kids running around, and don't need any kiddie activities. It has been awhile since we've cruised, and I would like to know which cruise line has the better ships, food, and ports.

Thanks for all your well wishes - it's been an easy 40 years!

my husband and I are celebrating our 40th anniversary by taking our 2 kids (and their sig others) on a cruise. We have been to the eastern and southern caribbean, so figured the western would be a good choice. This will be in July or early August of this year. Some of the western cruises stop in Haiti - wonder if they still stop there after the earthquake? Any ideas, tips, different cruise ideas?

Thanks.

Celebrity has removed Haiti from its itinerary for the remainder of 2010.

In July and August 2010 it looks like when you eliminate Carnival, which I would recommend, your choices seem to be Celebrity, RCL, Princess and NCL. We have never been on NCL so I won't suggest them. I only looked for 1 week cruises.

The Celebrity ship is the Solstice. Princess has the Emerald Princess. RCL has the Liberty of the Seas and the Freedom of the Seas.

They all have slightly different itineraries.

Take a look at them and see which one might be more interesting to you.

Have a great next cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

why would you eliminate Carnival? That was originally my thought, but the Triumph is the only one that leaves from New Orleans, which might be an interesting place to spend an extra day. Since it has been so long since we've cruised, any info from those like you who have cruised recently, repeatedly, and on different cruise lines is appreciated.

Also, for those who suffer from sea sickness, is it better to get a cabin in the back or middle of the ship, as compared to the front, and are the decks further down better for that ailment? I will get them patches/pills, but want to make their sail as easy as possible.

In July and August 2010 it looks like when you eliminate Carnival, which I would recommend, your choices seem to be Celebrity, RCL, Princess and NCL. We have never been on NCL so I won't suggest them. I only looked for 1 week cruises.

The Celebrity ship is the Solstice. Princess has the Emerald Princess. RCL has the Liberty of the Seas and the Freedom of the Seas.

They all have slightly different itineraries.

Take a look at them and see which one might be more interesting to you.

Have a great next cruise.

I would disagree about Carnival. My wife and I cruised recently on the Liberty on a Western Caribbean sailing. We had an awesome time! While I'm not suggesting that the OP limit their search exclusively to Carnival, I would suggest not ruling them out. I was very apprehensive about Carnival before we sailed with them because of posts like the one above. However, my experiences were very positive. The Liberty was a very clean, well appointed, and comfortable ship. The crew was exceptional, and the price that we paid made it an overall great value. In addition, my fellow passengers were of the same class of people that we experienced on Royal and Disney (we loved those cruises too!).

As far as the OP's original question, I would suggest making certain that any ship you sail includes visits in the ports of Cozumel and Grand Caymen. These are such beautiful ports and I'm sure that everything that they have to offer will go a long way in making your anniversary special.

BTW, we are cruising again to the Western Caribbean in August of this year, so I am somewhat familiar with pricing on the major cruise lines. IMHO, there are fantastic deals to be had on the Celebrity Solstice summer sailings. In addition to being a great value, the Solstice makes 4 port calls which seems to be one more than the norm.

Archived