Rum and Rum Cake Lovers

Roses2

About a year ago we stopped at Grand Cayman on a Western Caribbean cruise and found you could get a $20 Bluebeard Rum cake free by buying $20 of booze.

We stopped in Cayman again last week and were surprised to find the same deal is still available.

If you like rum cake this is a great deal. Besides we found that the Appleton VX Estate rum was less expensive in Cayman that even St. Thomas.

About a year ago we stopped at Grand Cayman on a Western Caribbean cruise and found you could get a $20 Bluebeard Rum cake free by buying $20 of booze.

We stopped in Cayman again last week and were surprised to find the same deal is still available.

If you like rum cake this is a great deal. Besides we found that the Appleton VX Estate rum was less expensive in Cayman that even St. Thomas.

Where exactly did you find this deal?

Where exactly did you find this deal?

There was a little t-shirt shop down the street from the Kirk Freeport store on Cardinal Ave., to the right of the tender area. The store is down a flight of stairs. They have Blackbeard's and Big Black Dick rum - DW and I liked Blackbeard's better. After purchase (which they deliver to your ship) they give you a coupon for free rum cake. Cake stand is across the street. We got banana flavored rum cake and it was delicious.

There are two liquor stores that have the promotion. One is as described above (we bought our Appleton Estate VX there). The other is a small store in the same mall where you pick up the rum cakes. It is the same mall that is home to Jimmy Buffet's Margaretaville.

The lady who sells the rum cakes is very helpful and she had lots of cake out for tasting.

We prefer the Blackbeard's Rum Cake to the more famous Tortuga brand.

The invoice reads Blackbeards Duty Free Liquors. One shop is in in the Pirate's Grotto in the basement of the Landmark Building. This is just across the street from the other that is Dick's Liquors that is located underneath Margaritaville, in the Island Plaza where you pick up the rum cake.

We think the deal is the best we have seen in the Caribbean. Of course we like the rum cakes so much for us and as gifts that we buy a bunch more of them too.

I love rum cake (even more than actual rum). Thanks for the info. I'll be there in April and make sure to stop and pick up both.

we were on Grand Cayman for a week last year and were told that they decided to change the name. There might be a bottle or 2 floating around in a supermarket but not at the DF shops in town. I did see a bottle in a DF store on either St. Martin or Grand Turk earlier this month.

• 3 weeks later...
we were on Grand Cayman for a week last year and were told that they decided to change the name. There might be a bottle or 2 floating around in a supermarket but not at the DF shops in town. I did see a bottle in a DF store on either St. Martin or Grand Turk earlier this month.

We bought some in January in St. Martin and were looking forward to getting more in Grand Cayman. We will ahve to check out the new stuff.

• 5 months later...

and they still had the promotion. Big Black Dick rum is again available but I have no idea where it is made. Tortuga is bottled by Appleton in Jamaica but Blackbeards and Big Black could be bottled anywhere but I don't think on island.

i LOVE rum cake, but i just couldnt get over the fact that those little tiny rum cakes were so expensive. so when i got home i googled a recipe and have been making rum cakes ever since. i suggest using just regular old cheap spiced rum. if you use bacardi the rum flavor can be a little over powering, plus, no one is gonna know if you use cheap stuff or expensive stuff. ive made lots of variations. vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, pina colada, etc. i'm not a baker, but this is the only cake i really make. now my friends and family expect it whenever i got to a picnic or party.

<LI class=ingredient>---Cake---<LI class=ingredient>1 cup chopped, toasted pecans or walnuts (i like nuts, but have never made the cake with them because alot of people dont like them)<LI class=ingredient>1 18-1/2 ounce yellow cake mix<LI class=ingredient>1 1-3/4 ounce (4-serving size) instant vanilla pudding mix<LI class=ingredient>4 eggs<LI class=ingredient>1/2 cup water<LI class=ingredient>1/2 cup vegetable oil<LI class=ingredient>1/2 cup Bacardi dark rum

<LI class=ingredient>---Glaze---<LI class=ingredient>1/2 cup butter<LI class=ingredient>1/4 cup water<LI class=ingredient>1 cup sugar<LI class=ingredient>1/2 cup Bacardi dark rum

Cake: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan. Sprinkle nuts on bottom of pan. Combine all cake ingredients. Beat for 2 minutes on high with electric mixer. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour. Cool in pan. Invert on serving plate. Prick top with fork. Drizzle glaze over top of cake. Use brush or spoon to put extra dripping back on cake.

Glaze: Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in water and sugar. Boil 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in rum. Note: The rum will cause steam. Be careful not to burn yourself.

Notes in the Margin: I have made this cake many, many times. It not only is the perfect dessert, but I've had house guests who wanted it for breakfast. My husband keeps threatening to use it for French toast. I personally think that it'll never get dry enough as it stays moist a long time. The longer this cakes sits, the better the taste. This cake freezes beautifully.

when making flavors other than vanilla or chocolate, just use whatever kind of pudding mix you think will go. with strawberry i usually use vanilla.

Archived