Question re: the large TV screens on deck...

MamaParrotHead

It's been kind of a tradition to get our picture taken on embarkation day with the name of the ship in the background (which in the past has been near the main pool, in front of the whale tail). Obviously that's where the big screen TV is on the newer and refurbished ships.

Did they move that, or is it just gone?:(

Thanks.

It's been kind of a tradition to get our picture taken on embarkation day with the name of the ship in the background (which in the past has been near the main pool, in front of the whale tail). Obviously that's where the big screen TV is on the newer and refurbished ships.

Did they move that, or is it just gone?:(

Thanks.

Check the deck on the opposite side from the big screen. While you might not get the Whale Tail, you might get the ship's name.

We do the same thing-my husband goes to the railing with the ship's name and I snap the picture. Kind of schmaltzy, but definitely a tradition.

What do the Carnival regulars feel about the big screen? We have cruised twice on CCL but before the ships were retrofitted with the screens. We are considering the Magic to Europe, which obviously has one of the big screens. Does it detract from the "ambiance" of the pool deck? Do they still play live music on the pool deck? I know they show movies during the evening, but what about during the day? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

What do the Carnival regulars feel about the big screen? We have cruised twice on CCL but before the ships were retrofitted with the screens. We are considering the Magic to Europe, which obviously has one of the big screens. Does it detract from the "ambiance" of the pool deck? Do they still play live music on the pool deck? I know they show movies during the evening, but what about during the day? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

As long as they give me the remote I don't care.;)

Oddly enough, this topic can be nearly as divisive as a smoking or smuggling thread.

Some folks hate it... some folks love it. I happen to love it.

I don't think it does a thing to detract from the environment on the Lido Deck and certainly has no impact on the rest of the ship.

:)

Oddly enough, this topic can be nearly as divisive as a smoking or smuggling thread.

Some folks hate it... some folks love it. I happen to love it.

I don't think it does a thing to detract from the environment on the Lido Deck and certainly has no impact on the rest of the ship.

:)

I am with you on this one Mach, I love it!:) And you are correct about the love/hate angle on the big screen.....and you can tell it is really going to get nasty when the bickering over the charge for popcorn comes up;)

It may detract slightly, but yes, they still have a steel drum band (well. . .down to two guys and a synthesizer now). We have always looked forward to the night movies, as we do a similar outdoor theatre when camping, but unfortunately have not been able to partake on either cruise. The evening offerings were not child friendly. Just one night out of 7, please show something that is not a concert and not rated R!

They did show a couple of family movies during sea days around 1pm on the Valor a few weeks back, but of course they failed to check my port schedule beforehand! ;)

We happen to hate the big screen.

Our first and only experience was on Liberty in 2008. Every morning, television shows were broadcast. We had the "pleasure" of watching Myth Busters, Animal Planet, and other loud shows from early until noon. Then, a two-person band performed for about an hour. It definitely detracted from our sunbathing. We found nowhere that we could escape the noise.

If we wanted to watch tv, we would have stayed home.

I was told, though, that music is now played in the morning. But I have no first-hand experience of the change.

The movies at night, however, were very cool. We sat on the lounge chairs, covered with our beach towels, drinks in hand, watching movies under the stars.

We are a bit leary of what our experience will be on Splendor next year. But we will go with open minds and hopes of tropical music. And our mp3 players, just in case. ;)

We happen to hate the big screen.

Our first and only experience was on Liberty in 2008. Every morning, television shows were broadcast. We had the "pleasure" of watching Myth Busters, Animal Planet, and other loud shows from early until noon. Then, a two-person band performed for about an hour. It definitely detracted from our sunbathing. We found nowhere that we could escape the noise.

If we wanted to watch tv, we would have stayed home.

I was told, though, that music is now played in the morning. But I have no first-hand experience of the change.

The movies at night, however, were very cool. We sat on the lounge chairs, covered with our beach towels, drinks in hand, watching movies under the stars.

We are a bit leary of what our experience will be on Splendor next year. But we will go with open minds and hopes of tropical music. And our mp3 players, just in case. ;)

On our cruise in January..the few brave ones were

sitting/laying as close as possible with their s/o

wearing hoodies, beach towells and a blanket or two.

I never saw a full movie/concert or anyting..just bits and pieces

here and there. The only thing I remember by name was Michael Jackson's "This Is It"

I really wouldn't have minded seeing a good Buffett concert,

but I am sure that is off limits. Unless he gets some money for it.:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

I went on Conquest before the big screen and after. I enjoyed watching movies at night- that was fun. HOWEVER..... I do not think the screen should be on ALL the time (ok, so, it's not in the middle of the night). The videos they play don't match the music playing out of the speakers that play. Let me rephrase... there is music playing on every ounce of the deck all the time. AT THE SAME TIME, the big screen is going with videos (some NOT AT ALL appropriate for kids- like some madona video and some video talking about "don't you like my ......ego". Mind you, i had no kids with me on my vacation, but if i had....). So, don't look at the big screen and go "hey! that's my favorite video!" and think you're going to "hear" the song that goes with it. To me the screen should be on for certain things- family movies, nighttime movies, the concerts and anything interesting going on in the world that is good..... such as the Olymics- which happened to be going on while I was on Conquest. They could have shown those. Maybe have a theme day that they show movies from certain genres or time periods. Perhaps show video of the culture, nature, etc from the ports we were in. Some music videos could be fine too. BUT, if you're going to do that, turn off the ship radio speakers.

As far as the "ship's radio" music- there is a variety.... which is good. But, it's on all the time, on every inch of deck. Many times, depending on where you sit, you'll hear a music mix. Not so bad if it was one song at a time... but no, it's when you hear the country music from one speaker and the pop music from the other. Sure, I could have moved, but I didn't want to. What'd I do? focus on which type of song I liked and let the other one just fade to the background. Or even play tropical music.

But honestly.... my first impression was I'm on vacation. I don't watch that much tv at home, so i dang sure didn't want to see that big screen all day! Also, I didn't need music all day. To me it was overstimulating and loud when all I wanted was peace.

Haven't been on a cruise for a solid 6 years, but can tell things have changed a bit. Reading about some, I look forward to the band playing by the pool deck. I can only imagine that the cruise lines are listening to feedback, or going by trends etc.... At the end of the day, the cruise lines that are available, and ships all cater to segments and tastes that differ in activity and stimulus levels.

What kind of movies do they play at night on Carnival..... lately? anyone?

Archived