Extra Pounds ?

Interrogation Room

Hi, Good thread...How are you guys losing the weight besides WW...? Thanks

I have lost 60 pounds since August. I simply do it the most basic way possible...count the calories.

I used a program called Nutribase (do a google search) and I simply enter my intake foods, and it calculates the calories for me. Oh, and for you WW people, it will also caculate the points.

It is avaialbe from a simple basic program to a professional dieticians level.

Stay away from the EZ version, it is not updated.

Awesome job.. I made the mistake of telling my personal trainer my cruise is coming up soon...So now the torture sessions are harder than ever...lol

That was pretty much what I had decided on before I went in November. I've been doing WW since July, and I didn't want to throw it all in the trash!

I'm down 45 so far, and hoping for a few more by April.

Congrats to both of you on your awesome losses so far!!!:)

Despite taking the stairs everywhere, walking tons in every port, not drinking soda or alcohol much, I still gain about 1lb a day.

Given how quickly it goes away once I'm home (within a week or two) I think most of it is water retention from all the sodium.

I do however tend to have trouble staying away from all the available food - grab some ice cream here, some french fries here, a burger here, pop by the buffet for a snack, enjoy a melting cake after dinner, try to apps at dinner, etc. I couldn't eat like that all the time but for 5-7 days it's fun.

I'm cruising pregnant this time and I'm really trying not to go overboard with weight gain this pregnancy so I may need to be extra cautious about my choices - lots of fruit and veggies and limit my melting cakes or share them with the family!

10 pounds a cruise?:eek:

:) its not as bad as it sounds. Im usually around 245lbs with about 6-9% bf( depending on time of yr.) Im usually on a strict diet most of the year so when cruise time rolls around I let lose and eat and eat and eat :) . I always lose it all once im back in the gym and back on a steady diet/\.

• 3 weeks later...
Gained weight on a cruise? Is this a joke question? Have you ever noticed at the first of the week the elevators say "occupancy max 15 person" and then by the last few days it is changed to "occupancy max 12 person". That is telling me the ship knows you are gaining weight with each passing day.

OMG:eek: Is This Ture?:eek:

I eat sensibly, three good meals a day and the occasional snack in between. I can safely resist the urge to eat eat eat eat and eat some more. I lso can't sit still for too long, with the exception of the shows in the theater. I tend to walk and walk, and walk, and walk some more each and every day. I do several circuits of the ship on a daily basis. Thus, I tend to not gain weight on a cruise.....

I have no clue what the gym looks like on any of Destiny class and larger ships with the exception of the Splendor, but even then I only went in it cuz of the spa tour.....I'd walk past it everyday while going to the Thalassopool and watch them working out while in the thalassopool...

I have lost 40 lbs. in recent months and have been a bit worried about the upcoming cruise.

I have decided to not obsess about it. I will for the first time on any cruise, exercise in the gym and take the stairs often. Our room isn't near the elevators so the walking will help.

I know that any weight gained will come off quickly when I get home, partly because of water retention from salt and partly because my body will think that it is just starting a diet again, lol!

It will help that there are many good choices on board, but will have a dessert once in a while.

I know that even before I started to lose weight that I wouldn't normally eat dessert with lunch and dinner, and I wouldn't eat meat, eggs and pastries at breakfast, but I did on a cruise. This is the reason that I think many gain weight on a cruise.

Just don't try to eat the "cost' of the cruise.....food is simply "fuel" for your body...you don't need to overeat just because it's available.....it's available at home, and you don't eat non-stop...right?

Just eat to fuel yourself....don't eat until you can't!

We don't snack much during the day and we take the stairs so never had any problems gaining on board. However I have problems with the altitude change on the drive back home and about 1/2 way start swelling insanely bad. Takes several days before I can wear tennis shoes again. But it's so worth it.

This year I am finally almost at my goal weight. Have about 27lbs to go. Not bad since I started with over 100 to lose. We've taken a cruise the last 2 years and have another in a couple of months so there's no reason a cruise has to ruin your diet. Yeah it can set you back but in the long run it doesn't matter, you'll get there as long as you get back on track when you get home and don't binge on board.

4 cruises,, no more then 1 per each one. I concur with everyone,,no elevators and walk. My 4 cruises so far have been with HAL,,they have a promonade deck that on most ships anywhere form 3 to 4 laps is a mile. Walkers going all day..and no not the metal ones,,,actual people walking.

I actually lose weight and I believe it's because the food is already prepared,lots of fresh salads, fruit and it's just easier not having so much junk food around. I absolutely detest the desserts on Carnival, so those have absolutely no appeal. On a 7 day cruise I never eat a single dessert and the ice cream everybody raves about is just cheap soft serve, nothing of quality, so it's not even worth the calories.

We don't snack much during the day and we take the stairs so never had any problems gaining on board. However I have problems with the altitude change on the drive back home and about 1/2 way start swelling insanely bad. Takes several days before I can wear tennis shoes again. But it's so worth it.

This year I am finally almost at my goal weight. Have about 27lbs to go. Not bad since I started with over 100 to lose. We've taken a cruise the last 2 years and have another in a couple of months so there's no reason a cruise has to ruin your diet. Yeah it can set you back but in the long run it doesn't matter, you'll get there as long as you get back on track when you get home and don't binge on board.

Congratulations on your weight loss!! 100 more to go for me :p

Very nice,,,good for you.

Thank you both. You'll get there redsoxcrystal.

I am really looking forward to formal night this year. Can't wait to dress up. I also don't like the majority of their desserts but I do like the soft serve. Nice and simple. Although this year I'll probably stick mostly to the fruit. I don't really eat any sugar now and I don't want an ice cream buzz LOL

:) its not as bad as it sounds. Im usually around 245lbs with about 6-9% bf( depending on time of yr.) Im usually on a strict diet most of the year so when cruise time rolls around I let lose and eat and eat and eat :) . I always lose it all once im back in the gym and back on a steady diet/\.

It is bad as it sound. 10 pound is too much to gain on a 1 week cruise:eek:

I was on the Spirit 2 weeks ago. Jan 2009 I joined Weight Watchers. I lost 85 pounds, 5 pounds extra. On the ship I ate everything I thought I wanted (especially Choclate Melting Cake). I didn't drink very much alcohol, but drank lots of water. I took the stairs every time I needed to go anywhere. By the end of the cruise I could fly up those stairs! I took a couple of walks around the upper deck. Bottom line, I ate a LOT and gained 5.6 pounds.

My SIL is heavier and had been on Nutrisystem for two months. She ate dinner from the Spa menu, fruit and cereal for breakfast and salads for lunch. She drank more alcohol than I did and went dancing most nights. She didn't gain any weight at all.

So....you can make good choices and not gain or even lose weight. The hard part is the salad bar in the buffet always seems to have the longest lines.

After losing 60lbs this year I plan on eating pretty much the same as I do at home and using the gym everyday. I've worked too hard to backslide even on a cruise...

:D

that's how I feel! I actually opened this thread to see if there were any tips :)

I had 2 babies in 2 years, so for the past few months I've been working my butt off to get the baby weight off. I'm not going to throw that all down the crapper just because I'm on vacation. I'm planning on taking the stairs everywhere (we have a cheap cabin on the 1st deck), eating not TOO terribly (probably not the 1550 cal/day diet I'm on now, but not dessert at every meal + snacks either.), and walking a lot on the ship. We have a couple of active excursions planned, and now I'll be adding lots of dancing to the itinerary ;)

I forgot to add, I plan on eating lots of Spa options- they are all low calorie and low fat. I decided that if the Spa option sounded good, that's what I would order- if not, I'll get something else, but I've seen sample menus and a lot of days the Spa option sounds really good!

First cruise I gained 5 pounds which were totally gone by day 2 off of the ship. I was retaining water in a horrible way on the ship, and it all flushed out of me once off of the ship. This was also the cruise that we went on not long after I had lost 97 lbs doing Weight Watchers, and trust me when I say that I didn't watch a thing that I ate on board. I went to the fitness center and we walked alot, on and off of the ship

Second cruise, I took Dirurex (sp) to help ease the water retention, and once again without watching anything I ate, I lost 3 lbs. Do to a degenerative spinal issue, walking is now rough for me, but we still walked when I could and it really helped.

I took my first cruise in February, after losing 50 pounds the previous year and earning my lifetime membership in December. I was pretty worried about the cruise, since at home I prepare most of my own food with all healthy/low calorie ingredients. However, I made it through a six day cruise (8 day vacation with the two travel days added in) gaining 1/5 pound which I lost within two days of getting home.

Basically, I took the stairs everywhere and still hit the gym daily for 50 minutes. I also tried to pick more active activities at port, walking in Key West, swimming in the Cayman Islands, and climbing the falls in Ocho Rios. I did eat what I wanted, but stopped when I was satisfied. I had dessert every night, mostly melting cake. For the appetizers I usually started with fruit, then had whatever chicken offering the had for the main course. Since we had the late seating, I was never in the mood for the midnight buffet or late night snacks, which helped. Now that I know it is possible to cruise without gaining, I will be less anxious next time.

Archived