Extra Pounds ?

Interrogation Room

I am on the small side - so every single pound is exaggerated on me. I have a few more pounds to lose (my "winter" weight) - and will eat what I want on the cruise. I won't eat a TON - but will certainly order the chocolate melting cake each night. I take a knife and cut it in half - and eat no more than half - and WITHOUT the ice cream. I eat a bagel and fruit for breakfast - but I do splurge on lunch. I eat fries with jalapenos and that horrible melted cheese (that I can't WAIT to pig out on). I would NEVER touch that stuff around home - but I hit it every day on the ship.

We also do the stairs - but that's more from impatience than exercise;).

As far as the drinks - hubby and I will bring on our own diet coke (and we also purchase the soda card) - and will order rum (Malibu) from bon voyage. Rum and diet coke is really not too-too bad on the waste line.

My husband, who eats and eats and eats and never gains weight gained 8 pounds on our cruise! My son didn't gain any, but then again he is 5 and says, "If you eat after you're full you will get fat as a hippo." I don't know where he got that idea from! I didn't gain any weight either, woohoo, but then again I also got sick :( Wednesday-Friday and was barely able to swallow anything but water and chocolate milk.

I actually lost weight on my first cruise last year. But we did active things while in port: cave tubing where we walked a 20 min to get to the river, ziplining, snorkeling. It also helped that we would eat breakfast before port days, bring a few snacks but not eat lunch and then eat dinner. We also walked the ship almost every night bc its beautiful under the stars.

Everyone else I was with gained weight though. lol. I am a little nervous about our next cruise bc we have one less port and our excursions are not as active as last time.

I am also carrying a few more pounds than I would like(I LOVE the term 'FLUFFY'!) I always try to watch what I eat at home and eat as healthy as possible. HOWEVER... I REFUSE to diet or deprive myself of something I want on a cruise. (can you say BACON and CHEESE?) That being said I have never gained more than a couple of pounds on a 7 day! As every one else has said, the secret is to take the stairs and walk, walk, walk! On the Dream our cabin was at the very rear of the ship and I don't know how many times we walked the full length! I did not gain a single pound! Woo Hoo! :)

Just got off the Dream and the food was excellent!! DH gained 2 and I gained 4:(.

We walked everywhere and was active on most excursions, but that darn food was soooooo good!

I took off 7 lbs. after Christmas only to have to take 4 off again. Starting tomorrow!!

Great job!! I may lose another 5-10 lbs before my cruise..It's a little more than a month away..

I lost 61 pounds with ww and a LOT of excerising. It will be one year in MAY that I have kept it off. I weigh myself every morning and give myself 3 pounds up or down. (123 - 126)This has worked great for me. I also still do my treadmill (best investment I have ever made)

Keep up the good work. :D

The last 4 cruises I have gone on have all been 4 night cruises. It fits my schedule better. I have gained exactly 7 pounds on each of the 4 cruises I went on. The pounds come off pretty fast once we are back home. When I am on the cruise it seems like I either have a fork or a beer in my hand much of the day. Hey, I am on vacation. Since I don't do this at home, it comes off without too much difficulty. It sure is fun puttin' it on though. We are going on a 7 night cruise in 2011. I am not sure I could keep that up for 7 nights, but I will give it the ol' college try.

Our first cruise I came home 7# heavier. I don't eat anywhere near the amount of food that I do on a cruise. I can graze all day.

We have since booked a aft cabin, not for that reason...and the walking we do, including taking the stairs burns off whatever I eat. Last year I gained 1 pound. That works for me.

I got off the ship saturday and when I got home that evening I had gained 10 lbs.:eek: As of this morning, less than 2 days later 6 of those have gone away!:D. So I am convinced, for me that it is a lot of fluid retention, because I peed like crazy yesterday!! I see those 4 lbs. going away very quickly.

On our 4 day cruise, dh gain 7 lbs, I gained 0. We only took the stairs (used elevator once) and since I am gluten-free, it limited what I could eat. Generally, as long as I don't eat gluten, I can eat whatever I want (within reason) and not gain any weight. A week post cruise, dh is almost back to his normal weight.

On our honeymoon (12 day) cruise, I gained about 10lbs, my wife gained 3 or so. While we were very active on the ship and in ports I did not work out much on the ship and ate like I was going to the electric chair. Mind you the weight easily dropped once I got home and back into my regular routine.

We're leaving on the Spirit for a 12-day Hawaii to Vancouver cruise in just over three weeks. My goal is to lose weight on the cruise.

Over the past 10 months, I've lost 112 pounds on Weight Watchers. For the first time, I'm healthy enough (and under the weight limit for) many of the excursions I've had to miss out on during previous cruises. We're planning to hike Diamond Head, go snorkeling in Kona and go zip lining in Maui.

I never want my weight to prohibit me from living my life again. So I'll enjoy the wonderful food in moderation, take the stairs everywhere and work out every day. And I'll keep reminding myself nothing tastes as good as healthy feels! I've still got weight to lose, so there's no point in undoing my hard work just because I'm on vacation.

Has anyone ever put on a "few" extra pounds while on a cruise?:confused:

My weigh is about 230 pounds. Don't want to end my first cruise with more than that:eek:

I think it depends how much you eat and drink. I've never cruised before (First cruise 4/25/10!!!), but we have stayed at the all inclusive resorts. Depending how "active" I am that week depends on the amount of weight gain. I've come home from 10 days of drinking and eating and lost weight, and other times I've come home 5 pounds heavier. Always take the stairs :)

Has anyone ever put on a "few" extra pounds while on a cruise?:confused:

My weigh is about 230 pounds. Don't want to end my first cruise with more than that:eek:

The wife and I will shortly be 69 and 70. We eat whatever sounds and looks good on board. BUT, we use the stairs as much as possible. And we walk the deck a few times after EVERY meal. We return from cruises at about the same weight or DOWN a pound or 2. Not uncommon for me to drop as much as 7 lbs. and her to drop 3 or 4. We are not inactive at home, but cruises just keep us going all day and night.

I've only been on two prior cruises but lost a few pounds on both. I'm not a big drinker so that helps. A lot depends on how active you'll be as well, I eat more food than usual but with all the walking and swimming those extra calories easily get burned off.

I agree with dan40 we also use the stairs as much as possible. Most ships have an outdoor track so even just taking a walk while on board will help prevent any addiotnal poundage.

• 3 weeks later...

We usually lose 2-5 lbs on a cruise because we are more active on a cruise than @ home. Somehow we manage to keep off those few lbs. we lose after we come home. For us a cruise is weight loss vacation that's why we have to do at least 2/yr :D

On our last 7-day cruise, I came home after 10 days to find that I'd gained about 5 pounds. I was surprised and disappointed. I can see why people gain weight. The food is available almost 24/7 and some people seem to take the approach that if it's "free", they should get as much as they can. Or maybe they eat that much all the time. The amount of food on some people's plates was ridiculous.

I was surprised by the weight gain because I stuck to my regular three meals per day (and I have read about passengers with a late seating dinner who eat breakfast, lunch and then a meal in the late afternoon and then dinner as well). After thinking about it a while, I decided that the weight gain had two causes. First, yes, I was only eating three meals and I don't think the breakfasts and lunches were too crazy compared to usual. But the dinners were something else. First there's bread, then an appetizer, then the entree, then dessert. I took a pass on the dessert a couple times. But our waiter was very "tsk, tsk" about that and seemed to be doing his best to make it uncomfortable for passengers to make smart meal choices.

Another factor was beverages. I didn't buy an alcoholic drink on the ship, but between the soda and champagne we brought, plus the ship's lemonade, which is absolutely delicious, it was a lot of high-calorie beverages. And, of course, because we were in a hot climate, we were drinking a lot more than usual.

Finally, it is very difficult to truly exercise on board. I either run or play intense sports three times a week. I ran one 10k on the running track on one "sea day". But that's totally impractical on a port day (unless you choose to skip the port). There really isn't time on the first and last days. And to truly exercise, you need an hour of exercise, which probably means two hours out of your day for prep, exercise, recovery, shower, etc. Not only are you taking your time, but you're taking time away from your family that you've set aside to be on vacation together.

Ultimately, I think the solution is to really focus on eating less (not because you're over eating otherwise, but because you don't have the time to exercise regularly) and to drink water rather than sugary beverages.

As for taking the stairs, it is a nice idea, but you could take the stairs up and down five decks 20 times a day, every day for a week and I doubt you'd even lose 200 calories, which would be the equivalent of, what, one ounce of weight? Taking the stairs is a great part of an active lifestyle. But it's not keeping your weight down.

Archived