Currency in French Polynesia.

Tanderra

I do hope you will bear with me for what is probably a mundane problem.

We are first time cruisers and are wondering what currency is needed on the Islands of French Polynesia....Tahiti, Bora Bora, Raiatea and Moorea.

I thank you so much for any advice given :)

Bindi.

French francs (I think they were called) in Tahiti. But they had no problem taking credit cards.

Be prepared everything is very expensive. I paid $3 for a glass of iced tea, and $3 each for two refills. I ended up paying more for my iced tea than I did for the grilled cheese sandwich. Different customs in different countries.

French francs (I think they were called) in Tahiti. But they had no problem taking credit cards.

Be prepared everything is very expensive. I paid $3 for a glass of iced tea, and $3 each for two refills. I ended up paying more for my iced tea than I did for the grilled cheese sandwich. Different customs in different countries.

Thankyou so much :)....that is a lot of money for the iced tea and each refill :eek:

We did read somewhere that they will accept U.S dollars, which we got from 'Travelex' here in Australia, but someone did tell us that we will need local currency.

Thankyou once more :)

It actually is called the French Polynesian Franc, the French Franc is what they had in France until they changed to the Euro.

Everything is so expensive in F.P. since they have to import almost absolutely everything, and most of it from France which on the other side of the world.

Thankyou so much :)....that is a lot of money for the iced tea and each refill :eek:

We did read somewhere that they will accept U.S dollars, which we got from 'Travelex' here in Australia, but someone did tell us that we will need local currency.

Thankyou once more :)

French Polynesia is outrageously expensive. I never had anyone there willing to accept American Dollars, but I suppose someone may. Use the French Pacific Franc.

Have a great trip; it's a beautiful part of the world, especially Bora Bora.

French Polynesia is outrageously expensive. I never had anyone there willing to accept American Dollars, but I suppose someone may. Use the French Pacific Franc.

Have a great trip; it's a beautiful part of the world, especially Bora Bora.

Thankyou all :)....yes we will definately enjoy it, so looking forward to it.

It was our neighbours who told us we could U.S dollars as they did the same cruise only in reverse....Honolulu to Sydney.

I have no idea where we can get the local money from but it does sound like it might be handy. Maybe try Travelex again :confused:

It is Bora Bora that I am really looking forward to :)

Thankyou all once more.

Archived