Some possibly helpful information for ports

Luker

Hey there,

I recently returned from a multiple month trip overseas with 5 back to back cruises (HAL and Princess) that were all over Asia (starting in Japan). I remember how hard it was to find out information about ports, transportation and cities. I created a personal travel blog with information and lots of photos from many of the Asian countries (China, Vietnam, Japan, Korea and more). I actually have a lot more to add, but so far there's enough posts that it should be helpful. There is a drop down menu on the sidebar where you can find "Port information for.." and there's lots of regular posts also. Anyway, it's at http://www.LutherBailey.blogspot.com Enjoy, and post a comment on the blog if it was helpful.

Thanks, Luther

• 2 weeks later...
Hello! I added a new post and some photos of Singapore. It's more information than story, but it might give you a better idea of what it looks like there.

Luther

http://www.LutherBailey.blogspot.com :)

Hi Luther;

You mentioned that you went downtown and then to the bird park. We disembark in Singapore and will be there for 2 days. I was considering the possibility of storing our luggage at the cruise terminal the first day, heading out to the bird park, then pick up the luggage on the way downtown later in the day. Would that be of any use or would it just make things more difficult? I believe that from the cruise terminal, Jurong is in the opposite direction of downtown, is that correct?

Also, is it feasible to take luggage on public transit? We'll each have one of those large suitcases on wheels. I know the transit system is pretty crowded and I don't want people snarling at us!

Finally, do you have a hotel recommendation in Singapore? I was kind of hoping to stay in the Marina area. However, we do not have a Raffles budget :)

Thanks a bunch (again);

Chris

Hi Luther;

You mentioned that you went downtown and then to the bird park. We disembark in Singapore and will be there for 2 days. I was considering the possibility of storing our luggage at the cruise terminal the first day, heading out to the bird park, then pick up the luggage on the way downtown later in the day. Would that be of any use or would it just make things more difficult? I believe that from the cruise terminal, Jurong is in the opposite direction of downtown, is that correct?

Also, is it feasible to take luggage on public transit? We'll each have one of those large suitcases on wheels. I know the transit system is pretty crowded and I don't want people snarling at us!

Finally, do you have a hotel recommendation in Singapore? I was kind of hoping to stay in the Marina area. However, we do not have a Raffles budget :)

Thanks a bunch (again);

Chris

Hi Chris!

Well, it would actually be out of your way a bit to leave your luggage at the port then to backtrack. It's not impossible to do that, but with the extra cost and time, it might make more sense to get to your hotel, check in and then head out. Either way, it will take some extra time. There is a good subway map at this link. http://subway.umka.org/map-singapore.html

Depending on what time you get to Singapore (or get off the boat), it shouldn't be a problem to take some luggage on the train. The train cars are pretty big, and other than cruise passengers, it shouldn't be too crowded at the start point in the terminal. I imagine this would be your best bet, again, as long as you don't have 10 suitcases. LOL

As far as a hotel, I would click on this link and read some reviews. I've always had luck with Tripadvisor and people are pretty honest and upfront. Hotels in Singapore are not cheap and you should expect to spend $160-$225 per night, unfortunately. (p.s. scroll down the page on tripadvisor to get to the cheaper hotels) http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g294265-oa20-Singapore-Hotels.html#ACCOM_OVERVIEW

I'm probably not being a lot of help here, but hopefully it will send you in the right direction. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Hey there,

I recently returned from a multiple month trip overseas with 5 back to back cruises (HAL and Princess) that were all over Asia (starting in Japan). I remember how hard it was to find out information about ports, transportation and cities. I created a personal travel blog with information and lots of photos from many of the Asian countries (China, Vietnam, Japan, Korea and more). I actually have a lot more to add, but so far there's enough posts that it should be helpful. There is a drop down menu on the sidebar where you can find "Port information for.." and there's lots of regular posts also. Anyway, it's at www.LutherBailey.blogspot.com Enjoy, and post a comment on the blog if it was helpful.

Thanks, Luther

Hi Luther - thanks for your website information, which was very helpful. I was wondering if you know anything about Phuket port. Our Azamara cruise docks there next month and whilst we've been to Patong before, I gather that the port is actually no where near this part of the island.. Do you know anyhting about the port area/transportation etc..

many thanks

Therese

Hi Luther - thanks for your website information, which was very helpful. I was wondering if you know anything about Phuket port. Our Azamara cruise docks there next month and whilst we've been to Patong before, I gather that the port is actually no where near this part of the island.. Do you know anyhting about the port area/transportation etc..

many thanks

Therese

Hi there Therese! Thanks for the note! :)

Unfortunately, I've not been to Phuket. However, I might be able to offer some helpful information to consider. The main port for Phuket is about 12km from town. It's not walkable. From what I understand, this is where most of the main large cruise ships dock and then people take taxis or tours into town. That being said, there is also a possibility of tendering. It seems that a few of the smaller ships do tender at Patang Beach on occasion. Also, since it's not Monsoon season until May, this effects the porting/ docking possibilities for the better. During the Monsoon, it apparently changes.

If I had to guess, I would say that you will tender at this port due to the size of the ship, but you know how things change with cruises. From what I've read, most of the taxis want you to hire them for the day, they don't like to just take you into town. Apparently, if you walk just outside the gate of the cruise terminal (if you dock there) then you get can a better taxi fare for a tour. It was recommended to bargain, or they will overcharge you.

There was this link which might be helpful also. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=960334

I'm sorry that I couldn't be of more help. If I find out anything else, I will post on here. Recently, I was looking at the cruise you are going on...so jealous. I just didn't have time at the moment to book it. Have a great time! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Luker:

How is the port transportation at Pusan? I learned it from my friend who just returned from RCCL Vision of the Seas. He said at Pusan there was free shuttle from the port to two locations: the fish market and a local temple. There were English speaking university students volunteering to help. My friend is not sure if the service is RCCL service or Korean port service.

Any idea??? I am planning to spend my few hours in the fish market and the shopping streets.

Hi Luker:

How is the port transportation at Pusan? I learned it from my friend who just returned from RCCL Vision of the Seas. He said at Pusan there was free shuttle from the port to two locations: the fish market and a local temple. There were English speaking university students volunteering to help. My friend is not sure if the service is RCCL service or Korean port service.

Any idea??? I am planning to spend my few hours in the fish market and the shopping streets.

Hi Peelboy!

I was on a HAL cruise and there were shuttle buses from the port to downtown. It's impossible to walk, due to the distance. Pusan is very safe and comfortable to walk around in the town area. The Fish Market is huge. I did a write up on it in my blog. There is also a great subway that goes quite a distance in Pusan, but not from or to the port. There were a number of people who spoke English. For some reason, the Korean people don't smile much, but they were very, very kind and helpful. Just always remember to be polite and smile. I went to a temple on the mountain, but I had to take the subway out about an hour. There is also a post on that in my blog. Hope this help! :)

Luther -

I thoroughly enjoy your photos and information. Was wondering - which watertown did you go to outside of Shanghai? Maybe it was mentioned and I just missed it.:rolleyes:

I'll double check your info for Okinawa, Nagasaki and Taiwan. Those three stops are the toughest for me to come up with things to do when our cruise stops there in September.

Thanks again!

Neal

Luther -

I thoroughly enjoy your photos and information. Was wondering - which watertown did you go to outside of Shanghai? Maybe it was mentioned and I just missed it.:rolleyes:

I'll double check your info for Okinawa, Nagasaki and Taiwan. Those three stops are the toughest for me to come up with things to do when our cruise stops there in September.

Thanks again!

Neal

Hi Neal!

The Watertown that we went to was about an hour outside of the city. I will double check the name, but I think it was Zhujiajiao. I remember the name had something to do with "The family of...." in Chinese. Some friends and I hired a private guide for the day, and it cost about $60 per person, which included lunch. I will look up the info when I get a chance and post it on here for you.

Edited: I found the link to the tour we took for the day. It is Zhujiajao, and it get's pretty cheap if you can get a few people together from the boat. It's quite easy to talk a few cruise mates into going. The link is

http://www.beijingservice.com/shanghai/tour/shanghaionedaytour-8.htm (This company was fantastic, we used them in Beijing as well. Great prices for a group of ten, and they will even help you to fill up a van on whatever tour you want for the day). Hope that helps!

Luther

Thanks! Luther

Hi Luther,

I was looking at your blog and you have some great information on it. We are going to be cruising in Asia next February/March and will definitely use your blog for tips, etc.

One thing I wanted to get your opinion on is the day in Beijing. We only have one day there and I am worried about the travel time to and from the port. We would like to use a private tour company but after reading what you've said and hearing about the traffic, I thought I'd get your opinion. If the traffic isn't too bad, we'd probably be OK, but it's bad we could have a problem. I felt we'd get to see more if we took a private tour.

Thanks,

Sondra

Hi Luther,

I was looking at your blog and you have some great information on it. We are going to be cruising in Asia next February/March and will definitely use your blog for tips, etc.

One thing I wanted to get your opinion on is the day in Beijing. We only have one day there and I am worried about the travel time to and from the port. We would like to use a private tour company but after reading what you've said and hearing about the traffic, I thought I'd get your opinion. If the traffic isn't too bad, we'd probably be OK, but it's bad we could have a problem. I felt we'd get to see more if we took a private tour.

Thanks,

Sondra

Hi Sondigreen!

I would say that one day would be very, very tough to accomplish. It can easily take three to four hours each way, even without bad traffic. It seems strange that a cruise line would only be there for one day, due to the travel time. What I would suggest then, would be to check out the cities by the port. I'm having amnesia off hand, but the city that starts with a "T", is not much of a cab ride, and I'm sure the cruise line would offer some sort of day tour for it. It's not a great city, but it's big enough for a short time.

Everything else between the port and Beijing is mainly farmland. HOWEVER, If your boat is leaving at say 9 or 10 PM, then you might be able to make a quick trip to the Great Wall and back, in one day. I believe the same tour company that I wrote about provides a day trip as well and they're quite nice and easy to work with. I hope that helps a bit.

Luther :)

Hi Luther,

Thanks so much for your reply. I see that the ship offers tours both to Beijing and to the Wall, stating that the drive is 3 hours each way.

I have been in touch with a tour company who said that they use the new high speed bullet train to get into Beijing as it's faster and that way one doesn't have to worry about the traffic. They also said that fog can be present at that time of year as well and affect traffic, but not the train. Do you have any experience with the train. I couldn't find much info on it. It doesn't seem to leave from close to the port, but maybe it's new.

Thanks again,

Sondi

Hi Luther,

Thanks so much for your reply. I see that the ship offers tours both to Beijing and to the Wall, stating that the drive is 3 hours each way.

I have been in touch with a tour company who said that they use the new high speed bullet train to get into Beijing as it's faster and that way one doesn't have to worry about the traffic. They also said that fog can be present at that time of year as well and affect traffic, but not the train. Do you have any experience with the train. I couldn't find much info on it. It doesn't seem to leave from close to the port, but maybe it's new.

Thanks again,

Sondi

HI Sondi!

I did speak with some people on the trip who took the train, successfully. If I remember correctly, they did take a taxi to the station. It's still best to use a tour guide to the Wall though, even if they guide you on the train in. If you took the train by yourself, getting to Wall would be a bit of a challenge. The closets part of the Wall is a 20 minute drive outside of the city. Sounds like you found a good company to work with. When I was there, it wasn't foggy, but it did get quite cold and windy at the GW. I would certainly recommend taking a good coat with you. :)

Luther

Archived