Amtrak question please help

wild0826

Has anyone evr taken amtrak as opposed to flying. I am sailing on LOS on aug. 29th. I was thinking about taking amtrak because of all the hastles of baggage fees etc. with flying. Is the miami amtrak station far from the port? Does anyone know what a cab may charge betweent he port and the amtrak station? And finally what is the earliest I can get off the ship when I return on Sep 5th so I can make sure I make the amtrak departure back to NY Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Hey Wild,

Can't answer your specific questions directly but did want to just comment on Amtrak in general. I work at a resort which provides pick up service for guests arriving via train. In the four years I have been here I can count the number of guests who arrived or departed as scheduled with Amtrak on one hand. Sometimes only an hour or two and sometimes 10, 12 even 18 hours behind schedule. Never has a train arrived or departed early. I'm not saying don't use the train if it is convenient for you but definitely allow extra time to ensure you make the ship! Have a great cruise and maybe come back and let us know your experience if you do use Amtrak. Take care,,, Jim

My mom takes the train all the time to Maimi from Boston. She doesn't fly. She typically takes off ealy morning from Bosston and arrives 36 hours later (the day before the cruise). We're sailing in Feb and she'll be arriving around 6pm the night before we sail. One bit of advice....Amtrak is consistently late by anywhere from 1-3 hours. Also, she typically gets off the boat as early as possible (takes her own luggage) and is able to make the train in no time. Many times though she'll get off and stay a day in Maimi. If you'd like to email her directly to get more info, emial me and I'll have her get in touch wiht you to discuss her experiences. She's been doing it for decades.

She did just mention to me that rather than take a pricey cab to her hotel, she could take the metro mover or some other means of transportation to get ot her hotel. Perhaps she can shed some light.

heffa511@verizon.net

I have been using Amtrak for 18 years to get to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale, in fact leaving this Wednesday Feb 24th for liberty of the Seas Sailing Feb. 28th. You can go to Amtrak.com for all their schedules but my best advice Never ever arrive on the actual day of the Cruise, they are always late from 2 to 8 hours or more sometimes on time but never count on it, a lot can happen. So if you do this, you will be paying quite a bit of cab fare and you must stay overnite at a hotel motel night before, Right now my return train is near noon on disembarkation so I will be the first off and wait at train station. Amtrak in Miami is off the beaten path and plan on 25.00+ cab rides. Sorry to not sugar coat but I don't want you to miss a Ship. Hope this helps, I leave Philly to Miami

Has anyone evr taken amtrak as opposed to flying. I am sailing on LOS on aug. 29th. I was thinking about taking amtrak because of all the hastles of baggage fees etc. with flying. Is the miami amtrak station far from the port? Does anyone know what a cab may charge betweent he port and the amtrak station? And finally what is the earliest I can get off the ship when I return on Sep 5th so I can make sure I make the amtrak departure back to NY Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I would price out the difference (even with baggage fees) between Amtrak and flying. We were thinking of taking Amtrak (from DC/VA) to FL but the cost was about the same as flying (and added almost a day).

Thanks for all the help. I have been researching the costs between flying driving and taking the train. Flying at this time after baggage fees was way up there. I guess it is because when we return on Sep 5th to NY that would be Labor Day Weekend. Here in Brooklyn where I live there is a huge Carnival Parade that happens every year and attracts people that are originally from all over the West Indies, so flights are expensive. Taking Amtrak and Driving are only a few dollars apart after parking charges at the port, gas, and tolls. Driving is looking alot better because between me and my husband we can share the driving and leave with enough time that we get there on time. Also this way I get to stop in Orlando and see my god daughter that I have only seen in pictures since she was born 1 year ago.

Thanks again everyone

I can only agree with what most have said. If you are going to take the train leave plenty of time. Amtrak is just notoriously behind schedule. I used to ride fairly frequently and still ride between RI and Boston or RI and NYC fairly frequently. It just seems like so many things go wrong. Once we the train was 3 hours late because they could not get a draw bridge closed. Another time a car broke an axel and had to be removed from the middle of the train. The list can go on and on. Sometimes it seems like they are late just because.

I actually like riding trains but not when I am on a tight schedule or have to be somewhere at a certain time.

I think driving is a Great choice for you, I use Amtrak because I do not want to fly but I could write a book about what can happen and what did happen, when you are driving you have complete control and can enjoy it with a few stops. Having said that, The Liberty of the Seas is a great ship, we have done back to back before on this Ship and will be doing the same next week, btw My Hubby flies, I take the luggage and I will say this Amtrak Redcaps are Super and I do have a sleeper and a few extra days in Miami, this works for us, My Amtrak trip complete costs more than the Cruise. but think your choice to drive is the best for you. We are really Veteran Cruisers and last week of June will be sailing out of your neighborhood (Brooklyn) on the Caribbean Princess, So whatever it takes to get on these Great Ships, it's worth it. Happy Planning!!!

We took the train on a non-cruise trip last year, and we thought it was a great option. Judging from other people's posts, our experience may've been unusual, but our train ran on schedule. One co-worker laughed at me when I talked about our upcoming trip and warned me that the train is "only slightly faster than traveling by covered wagon". Be that as it may, we enjoyed the trip.

Details about our trip: The seats were more comfortable (and larger) than those on a plane, and we each had an electrical outlet next to us, which was convenient. We could get up and walk around without difficulty. The conductors were pleasant and took good care us us first-time riders. Negatives: The bathrooms became progressively more filthy as the trip moved on, and the food was both expensive and bad (for the return trip we bought sandwiches and snacks before boarding the train, which is allowed). The price was LOW, and I'd absolutely take the train again -- in the right circumstances.

Having had that good experience, I looked into Amtrak for our upcoming cruise . . . but in this case, I rejected the idea of train travel. Why? Because train we'd have to take leaves at 9:00 at night and the trip is 20 hours (compare that to 14 hours driving -- even with gas stops and breaks to stretch our legs, that's a big difference). With four tweens/teens girls to watch over, I wouldn't feel comfortable sleeping on the train, nor do I want to arrive exhausted from staying up all night. Because of the timing, we'd have to leave home two days in advance. We looked into the cost of those little sleeping rooms, but the cost is outrageous (flying is cheaper).

The price was absolutely right! If I remember correctly, it was going to be something like $400-450 (can't remember exactly -- it's been a while since I compared) ROUND TRIP for the SIX OF US. That would fly two of us round-trip. When you include the high cost of parking, this was right on par with driving -- except that we wouldn't have to do the driving. The ONLY REASON we didn't go with the train was that horrible schedule. I will investigate train travel for future trips, but the timing is just all wrong for our particular cruise.

Notes: If you have AAA, that takes 10% off your cost. For every adult ticket you buy, you can buy two children's tickets for half price. Children are defined as under 16. Train ticket prices go up as the date grows closer, so it's wise to buy as early as possible.

I was considering taking the train because with my AAA discount it would be a great price. I would leave two days before the actual cruise. But with expecting delays I rather control my timing and drive if necessary. Also when checking the times to return the only departure times from Miami was 8:40 am and 11:40 am. I would opt for the 11:40 am to be safe, but the trip would take 31 hours back to NY. I do not think I could travel for so long. Also I run a daycare and I open back up for the term on the 7th. That train wouldn't arrive until almost 8pm Monday and that is with no delays. I cannot take the chance. I will monitor the airline fares closely. If there is a good price then I will fly with my husband and son. If not then we will drive.

I guess our experience with the train is a little different from everyone elses. Granted our trips our shorter. We have taken the train at least a dozen times between Niagara Falls NY and NYC. The train has always run on time. I think the latest arrival was about 10 mintues late and this is winter and summer.

Just a thought or question perhaps. I probably already know the answer, cost, itinerary etc. But since you are from Brooklyn why not sail EOS from NJ. We have sailed her and most people seem to be from Brooklyn, Manhattan, Long Island, NJ, etc. No travel to worry about. As I said just a question.

We are fans of Amtrak train travel because we enjoy seeing the U.S. and like the relaxed pace, even if the trains are sometimes late. We have taken the train to Florida for the past five years to Ft. Lauderdale, Port Canaveral, or Jacksonville and have only had one lengthy delay.

Want to add that we have had two instances of excellent customer service with Amtrak. One was after our lengthy delay when Amtrak hired a taxi for 4 of us from Boston to Portland, Maine. They took good care of us.

Another was when there was a problem with a water main break north of D.C.- Amtrak hired buses to take everyone up to Baltimore and then put us on the upgrade Acela, at no extra charge, for a fast trip to Boston- and we made our connections. We were very impressed and enjoy our train trips.

We've taken the auto train to FL three times (twice for cruises) and took the Amtrak Acela to NY last year for another cruise. I LOVE the train. We're taking Amtrak Acela to NJ next month for our Explorer cruise. For most east coast trains, there is no checked baggage and there are limits on what you can bring onboard so if you're a heavy packer, it won't work (except auto train because you have your vehicle packed). We took 3 28 inch bags and will be doing that again this trip. You're limited to 2 bags (28 inches or smaller) and one carryon under a certain size. With checked bags (on a lot of trains outside the east coast) you can have 3 larger ones. We use a red cap in NY and Washington so they can load us and our luggage on the Acela before the train is announced. This is especially handy in NY with the tracks being one level down from the waiting area. Some trains are late more often than others, but usually it's because of track or freight problems. Amtrak dosen't own the tracks so they have to work with the freight trains.

The Acela is the smoothest riding train I've been on outside of the TGV in France which was unbelievable when I rode it in the 80's.

I use to work for Amtrak as a Coach/Sleeping car attendant back in the 90's. I personally love the train. Arrive a day early and you'll be fine. I don't recommend the train if you're the type of person who freaks out at being late. I consider it a bonus, get to be on the train longer:)LOL. Delays can be caused by faulty equipment, freight train congestion and my least favorite which did happen sometimes, people having a bad day and jumping in front of the train. I love having a bedroom, shutting the door and reading all day on the train.

We are taking the train to our cruise to Los Angeles in May. It does take two days but we booked a sleeper and meals are included. You see the country not just clouds. LOL

Only once have we been a couple hours late. Coming into NYC we were on time both times.

Our train is due in at 8 a.m. on the day before the cruise.

Archived