snorkeling Aruba, Grand Turks, Curacao and La Romana?

stunned

Of your ports listed, I can only help with Aruba. There is great snorkeling off the beach at Boca Catalina in Aruba. You can take the city bus there or a cab (the cab drivers will know what you are talking about). It is up towards the California lighthouse and Arashi beach but not as far.

We have been there twice now and both times were great. There are no services at the beach so take your own drinks, snacks etc., but there are some palapas (spelling?) for shade. The times we were there it was not very crowded on the beach. The one beach crawl cruise ship tour stops there, but it is not there for long and there are usually some locals. We left our stuff on the beach while we both snorkeled and had no trouble (but we don't take any valuables anyway, figured at worst we would lose the $20 cruise ship towel).

If you enter the water at boca catalina it is a nice sandy entry and then swim to your right (right while facing the water), it is also easy to see all the dark patches in the water. We found some great snorkeling just off the middle of the next beach type area (again, while looking out at the water, to your right), but the entry there was rockier and trickier, so we would get in a boca catalina and swim over.

You will also find that the tours, both cruise ship and otherwise, bring their people there as one of the stops, so at points the water is pretty fully of people, but it is a huge area so I never felt crowded, and usually took breaks when a new boat pulled up and went back in the water after.

It is a great, cheap, day of snorkeling and I would highly recommend it. We saw tons of different types of fish, coral, sea anemones, an eel, an octopus, lots of squid, lots of trunk fish, etc.

We enjoyed the snorkeling in Aruba where we could see the Antilla wreck -- the German WWII freighter that was destroyed and sunk right offshore there. We swam the length of the ship, and it's easily visible even without diving down.

Aruba is beautiful! So sorry we have not snorkeled the other areas so can't give feedback on those.

Never pass up an opportunity to go snorkeling or diving with The Dive Bus when visiting Curacao. They are one of the best operators and certainly the most fun operator in the Caribbean.

They offer guided snorkeling tours from the beach at their location. There also is a very good small restaurant adjacent to the Dive Bus Hut with excellent food. We are divers but you will find many glowing endorsements of the Dive Bus from other snorkelers on this board. If you search this forum for Dive Bus you'll see many, many favorable comments about Marc and Suzy, the owners.

Hope this is helpful and go enjoy that next snorkeling trip.

• 2 weeks later...
Never pass up an opportunity to go snorkeling or diving with The Dive Bus when visiting Curacao. They are one of the best operators and certainly the most fun operator in the Caribbean.

They offer guided snorkeling tours from the beach at their location. There also is a very good small restaurant adjacent to the Dive Bus Hut with excellent food. We are divers but you will find many glowing endorsements of the Dive Bus from other snorkelers on this board. If you search this forum for Dive Bus you'll see many, many favorable comments about Marc and Suzy, the owners.

Hope this is helpful and go enjoy that next snorkeling trip.

Stunned (Judy),

I agree whole heartedly with Pilot70D!!!!! We've been to Curacao twice and both times went with Dive Bus (http://www.the-dive-bus.com/). Had a great time. Tell Suzy and Mark that I sent you :)

If you want to combine a great tour and snorkeling at Dive Bus go with Cheraldine at www.coast2coastcuracao.com . She's a wonderful person and lots of fun. Tell her I sent you also, she'll take good care of you too :)

Our next cruise in Jan. 2011 stops in Aruba and Curacao. My husband and I chose it because of Curacao and diving with Dive Bus.

Have fun!

Stunned (Judy),

I agree whole heartedly with Pilot70D!!!!! We've been to Curacao twice and both times went with Dive Bus (http://www.the-dive-bus.com/). Had a great time. Tell Suzy and Mark that I sent you :)

If you want to combine a great tour and snorkeling at Dive Bus go with Cheraldine at www.coast2coastcuracao.com . She's a wonderful person and lots of fun. Tell her I sent you also, she'll take good care of you too :)

Our next cruise in Jan. 2011 stops in Aruba and Curacao. My husband and I chose it because of Curacao and diving with Dive Bus.

Have fun!

Thanks Kim and Pilot70D,

I've checked into this, all sounds good. I've read a lot of good reviews on Dive Bus and it seems to be the one to go with.:)

Archived