Need help!! Carnival or RC 4 day cruise for honeymoon??

Hey all! I've been trolling around here for a while, doing some research for our upcoming honeymoon in June. I was just about set to book a Carnival out of Miami, but then I just happened to run across a Royal Caribbean cruise for ALMOST the exact same itinerary - same day, same port, just one different stop. I know I'll probably get a biased response here, so I'm going to cross-post this in the Carnival area so I can get a little input from experts on all sides. SO... I've really researched lines to DEATH and am between a rock and a hard place and my fiance is no help, before someone suggests that. He'd be just as happy in the back yard as he would in the south of france. Read below for all the info I can give - I figure too much is better than too little. TIA!!!

We're 25 & 27, getting married June 25th. We're pretty laid back - spend most nights watching movies at home, or going out with friends once or twice a week. Not big drinkers, but we do love to dance. We live in Orlando so any FL port is within driving distance. Plan is to drive to Miami on the 27th, stay overnight at the Hyatt downtown and head to the port in the morning. Now.. I'm stuck between going on the Carnival Imagination 4-day to Key west-Cozumel-boat day, or the Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas 4-day to Nassau-coco cay (private island?)-key west. The price for Carnival is $399/pp, RC is $416/pp so price isn't in my decision. We're looking at an outside cabin, really couldn't care less where it is - i just want a window.

I've only been on 1 cruise - the Disney Wonder to the Bahamas and I LOVED it, but I really aren't too familiar with the other lines, save my crazy hours of research the past few weeks. Do either do anything special for us honeymooners? I don't need to feel like a VIP but I'd love a cute little touch here and there. Is there plenty to do on the ship? I feel like Disney spoiled me, with the 3 pools and movie theatre. Also, there was soda already included in the price so it was available 24/7 at no extra cost. Am I right that you always have to pay if you want a drink on the other lines?

Thoughts so far - Carnival has the adults-only pool as well as the water splash park thing. Also going to cozumel which is MUCH more interesting to me than Nassau, which didn't impress me at all the last time we went. BUT, even with the fun saver guarantee it seems that people have had trouble getting the lowest price, and I also don't like having to give a non-refundable $300 deposit, which I could skip on, but then we DEFINITELY aren't guaranteed the lowest price.

Royal Caribbean seems like a smaller ship, so less people crammed aboard, but there's also only ONE pool and no adults only area. I have no problem with kids, but its nice to have a break. They guarantee the lowest price no matter when you book, and can get almost 100% back up to 30 days before sailing. They also have a day at Coco Cay instead of a boat day, which is nice cuz I've heard horror stories about everything being MOBBED on boat day since everyone is stuck in one place. I'm not TOO excited for Nassau, but if we go there I figured this time, we'd hang out on our own and check out Atlantis or something.

OK.. I know I wrote a book.. but please help!!

PS - I know it's called a ship, not a boat.. but I prefer boat cuz it would aggravate my friend who works on Celebrity :)

We're travel agents, I think I can give you an unbiased view. You have certainly done your homework!

First of all, if you book a regular rate on Carnival and not the Early Saver, your deposit is refundable. Only the ES rate has the non-refundable deposit.

Believe it or not, the Majesty of the Seas is bigger than the Imagination - 2,744 passengers and 880 ft vs. 2,052 and 855 ft.

I agree with your assessment of going to Cozumel vs. Nassau.

Some differences between the lines - Carnival tends to have slightly larger cabins than most other cruise lines. And believe it or not, their food is rated among the top 4 of all cruise lines - and RCCL is not among the other 3.

Carnival ships are generally very bright (sometimes "gaudy" might be a word to describe them). RCCL is a little more understated.

The Majesty has two pools and a Rock Climbing Wall. The Imagination has Water Works and a waterslide and as you stated, the Adults Only area. Since you are getting married in June, you will have plenty of kids onboard so if you want an area that is a little quite, I'd seriously consider the Imagination.

Carnival has much more of a party atmosphere and because it an inexpensive line, generally a different type of clientele. Also, a lot of onboard announcements - RCCL seems to keep these at a minimum.

Personally, I am a RCCL fan, but in our business, we sell a lot of Carnival and I have to be honest - we rarely see those clients come back with a complaint - most of them are very loyal Carnival passengers. The only area we have had complaints from Carnival passengers is service. We hear general complaints about room stewards not being as attentive as other lines and also some complaints about service in the dining room.

In fact, another thread had someone compare the two lines - take a look at post #3 on this thread - at the bottom, the poster compares the two lines:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1145783

I hope this helps - since neither of them would be a bad choice, I'd use itinerary as the basis of which cruise to book.

Hey all! I've been trolling around here for a while, doing some research for our upcoming honeymoon in June. I was just about set to book a Carnival out of Miami, but then I just happened to run across a Royal Caribbean cruise for ALMOST the exact same itinerary - same day, same port, just one different stop. I know I'll probably get a biased response here, so I'm going to cross-post this in the Carnival area so I can get a little input from experts on all sides. SO... I've really researched lines to DEATH and am between a rock and a hard place and my fiance is no help, before someone suggests that. He'd be just as happy in the back yard as he would in the south of france. Read below for all the info I can give - I figure too much is better than too little. TIA!!!

We're 25 & 27, getting married June 25th. We're pretty laid back - spend most nights watching movies at home, or going out with friends once or twice a week. Not big drinkers, but we do love to dance. We live in Orlando so any FL port is within driving distance. Plan is to drive to Miami on the 27th, stay overnight at the Hyatt downtown and head to the port in the morning. Now.. I'm stuck between going on the Carnival Imagination 4-day to Key west-Cozumel-boat day, or the Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas 4-day to Nassau-coco cay (private island?)-key west. The price for Carnival is $399/pp, RC is $416/pp so price isn't in my decision. We're looking at an outside cabin, really couldn't care less where it is - i just want a window.

I've only been on 1 cruise - the Disney Wonder to the Bahamas and I LOVED it, but I really aren't too familiar with the other lines, save my crazy hours of research the past few weeks. Do either do anything special for us honeymooners? I don't need to feel like a VIP but I'd love a cute little touch here and there. Is there plenty to do on the ship? I feel like Disney spoiled me, with the 3 pools and movie theatre. Also, there was soda already included in the price so it was available 24/7 at no extra cost. Am I right that you always have to pay if you want a drink on the other lines?

Thoughts so far - Carnival has the adults-only pool as well as the water splash park thing. Also going to cozumel which is MUCH more interesting to me than Nassau, which didn't impress me at all the last time we went. BUT, even with the fun saver guarantee it seems that people have had trouble getting the lowest price, and I also don't like having to give a non-refundable $300 deposit, which I could skip on, but then we DEFINITELY aren't guaranteed the lowest price.

Royal Caribbean seems like a smaller ship, so less people crammed aboard, but there's also only ONE pool and no adults only area. I have no problem with kids, but its nice to have a break. They guarantee the lowest price no matter when you book, and can get almost 100% back up to 30 days before sailing. They also have a day at Coco Cay instead of a boat day, which is nice cuz I've heard horror stories about everything being MOBBED on boat day since everyone is stuck in one place. I'm not TOO excited for Nassau, but if we go there I figured this time, we'd hang out on our own and check out Atlantis or something.

PS - I know it's called a ship, not a boat.. but I prefer boat cuz it would aggravate my friend who works on Celebrity :)

Actually, you have that backwards. The Majesty is a little bit larger than the Imagination.

The service on the Majesty is wonderful.

I doubt that you would have a bad honeymoon on either ship.

If you just LOVE waterslides, that tips the balance towards Carnival.

The Majesty has the wonderful Deck 11 trifecta of Johnny Rockets, Sorrentos and Compass Deli. I love the custom made crepes and panini at the Compass Deli. JR's is a nice break - while there is a $4.95 pp upcharge, it's for unlimited food. They just keep on bringing the french fries and onion rings, in addition to whatever sandwich you order. The oreo sundae and apple pie are to die for. It sounds like your DH-to-be would LOVE it.

I agree about Nassau. I just stay on the ship there, so that would be equivalent to your Carnival day at sea, with the advantage that most people WOULD get off and you would "have the ship to yourselves."

I just looked at the Carnival website, and it shows $399 only if you do the guarantee, where they give you any cabin they want to. Is that ok with you? At least with RC, you can pick your own cabin so that you don't end up with the anchor chain right outside your wall.

I just LOVE CocoCay. It is a fabulous, relaxing beach day. PERFECT for honeymooners.

I'm sure that you are getting the reverse recommendation on the Carnival forum, but what would you expect? ;)

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials!

We have sailed out of Miami on a 4 day to Key West & Cozuml on Carnival Fascination and had a fantastic time. Have sailed with Carnival twice and RCCL once and sailing with them again this year. I think you would enjoy either, I guess it is down to where you would like to go the most. Wherever you go have a great time and Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding.

First off, Congrats on the wedding.. I have sailed both lines and must say that I like them both.. I will tell you that I MYSELF along with my gf and our two boys will be on the Carnival Imagination on the June 28th, 4 Night cruise to Cozumel/Key West, So I must like that ship as I took the same ship and Ports last June:D.. I will tell you that for the $$, The Category GS Suites are AWESOME and this June will be the Third GS Suite I have had on these Older Fantasy Class Ships. IMHO A Great Value for the Money for all you get and for a Honeymoon. They can't be beat ! The Cabin is 330 Sq Feet and the VERY PRIVATE Balconies are 70 Sq Ft.. You will both get V.I.P Boarding along with Debarkation WHICH IS WORTH THE EXTRA PRICE ALONE SOME DAYS:eek: (I only know that as I got The Debarkation last June having the same type Suite;)) The Suite itself sells itself to all that have had them as they are NICE !! Nice woodwork, A King Bed, A walk in Closet, A Nice Full Jacuzzi tub bathroom, a Nice Bar with Glass ware as well as a Fridge.. Need more ? A Big Marble Vanity, a Comfy Sofa and Arm chair with foot stool.. More.. ?:D Mood Lighting at the Head of the bed for the entire Suite..A Nice Covered Balcony so even in the wind and rain we have sat out there with no issues..Also, The Grand Suites are located on the upper deck in the middle of the ship for a better ride from the motion.. All Great things about that cabin and I did not blink about the chance to get another one this year.. If you want one though , I would hurry as they only have 28 of them and they do tend to sell fast to people that know what a great deal they really are.. My Buddy had the OS or OceanSuite on the same ship on the Verandah Deck forward #V-15 and hated it for many reasons.. I will say that it is NO WHERE NEAR the same cabin.. If your going to spend for the Honeymoon, The GS is the ONLY Suite to consider.. Maybe I will meet you guys at the meet and greet:D.. Good Luck on your choice and congrats once more.. Kurt

We're 25 & 27, getting married June 25th. Best wishes to you! That is our anniversary. We're pretty laid back - spend most nights watching movies at home, or going out with friends once or twice a week. Not big drinkers, but we do love to dance. We live in Orlando so any FL port is within driving distance. Plan is to drive to Miami on the 27th, stay overnight at the Hyatt downtown and head to the port in the morning. Now.. I'm stuck between going on the Carnival Imagination 4-day to Key west-Cozumel-boat day, or the Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas 4-day to Nassau-coco cay (private island?)-key west. The price for Carnival is $399/pp, RC is $416/pp so price isn't in my decision. We're looking at an outside cabin, really couldn't care less where it is - i just want a window.

I've only been on 1 cruise - the Disney Wonder to the Bahamas Then you must have been to Castaway Cay? RCCL's Coco Cay is also quite nice. and I LOVED it, but I really aren't too familiar with the other lines, save my crazy hours of research the past few weeks. Do either do anything special for us honeymooners?RCCL may have get togethers for honeymoon couples I don't need to feel like a VIP but I'd love a cute little touch here and there. Is there plenty to do on the ship?Usually, yes. I feel like Disney spoiled me, with the 3 pools and movie theatre. Also, there was soda already included in the price so it was available 24/7 at no extra cost. Am I right that you always have to pay if you want a drink on the other lines?

You can purchase a soda package for around 6.00-6.50 per day (I think.) I drink very little soda so for me it is best to just purchase one when I want it.

Thoughts so far - Carnival has the adults-only pool as well as the water splash park thing. Also going to cozumel which is MUCH more interesting to me than Nassau, which didn't impress me at all the last time we went. What are the actual port times? BUT, even with the fun saver guarantee it seems that people have had trouble getting the lowest price, and I also don't like having to give a non-refundable $300 deposit, which I could skip on, but then we DEFINITELY aren't guaranteed the lowest price.

Royal Caribbean seems like a smaller ship, so less people crammed aboard, but there's also only ONE pool I thnk that ONE has two sides and is technically 2.and no adults only area. I have no problem with kids, but its nice to have a break. They guarantee the lowest price no matter when you book, and can get almost 100% back up to 30 days before sailing. They also have a day at Coco Cay instead of a boat day, which is nice cuz I've heard horror stories about everything being MOBBED on boat day since everyone is stuck in one place. I'm not TOO excited for Nassau, but if we go there I figured this time, we'd hang out on our own and check out Atlantis or something.

Whatever your choice, have a wonderful time and a long and happy marriage.

My husband and I took our honeymoon on a 7 day Carnival Pride cruise. We are booked on an upcoming RCCL cruise so no comments on RCCL... yet! :)

The carnival cruise was great and a wonderful way to spend our honeymoon! We ran into a lot of other honeymooners on the ship as well. You asked about special touches - We went to the maitre'd the first day and asked to switch to a table for 2 as it was our honeymoon and our request was graciuosly accomodated with a nice table for 2. After dinner hte second night at sea, our wait staff brought us a piece of dessert (kind of strange cause it came out with the desserts we actually ordered) and sang Happy Honeymoon To You. Our room steward put our towel in the shape of a heart on the last night in lieu of a towel animal. Other than that - the only other touches they offer that I am aware of are ones you pay for - just married stateroom decorations, romance pacakges, etc. If you do cruise with Carnival, I highly recommend booking a night at their supper club. We ate at David's steakhouse one night and is was definitely worth the cover charge. We had an excellent meal and amazing table for 2 by the window and watched the sun set while we ate. It was a very romantic evening.

In the end, from what I can tell. I think both cruiselines would be great for a honeymoon. Enjoy yourself!

Congrats on the wedding, we are just getting to celebrate our 1st anniversary.

Now, we just got back from our first CCL cruise together ( as a couple, I went years ago, but so much has changed it really had no bearing on this) and it will be our last - just not our style. My quick review as mentioned before it is gaudy, to me it looked like a bordello in many areas. The layout was very confusing and choppy. The entertainment was fine but not a lot of places to dance. Our cabin was great and so was our steward, in fact the staff was fine albeit quite young. I keep hearing about how great the food on CCL is, we thought it was boring and repetitive - IMHO.

We just like the understated elegance of RCCL, personal choice only. That being said, we had a great time, period because we were together.

The bottom line is this, get married, love each other unconditionally and live every moment like it's the last day of your life and you will have a great time regardless of what kind of honeymoon you have or where you take it.

Peace and blessings

Congrats on the wedding. We are also your age with similar interests from what you explained.

Having been on both of those ships, I would suggest the Imagination. I think it is a better boat with more to do and as well as having a better itenary. We found the Majesty to be difficult to get around it and just didnt seem as lively. The water works is also a blast. Fun waterslides with plenty of deck space in the aft. Yea, the rock wall is great, but how many times are you really going to climb it? Once?, maybe. Cozumel & Key West is better than Nassau & coco cay hands down.

My husband and I went on the Imagination in 2005. We were 28 and 29 and it was his 1st cruise. He was hooked on cruising immediately. The activities, food, shows, and service were wonderful. We had a midship OV and were quite pleased with the size of the room.

My Mother and Aunt were on her last year, had a balcony which they loved and raved about the service and food.

I have yet to be on the Majesty but I do know that Carnival's decor is more Vegas style and RCL's is more understated/elegant; however, that has never been a factor in our decision.

As for the party crowd we never really saw a lot of rowdy behavior on the Imagination or the Valor.

I think both lines are great; however, if you would prefer Cozumel I would say go with Carnival.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been on both ships. Though it's been a while since I was on the Majesty, I can truly say without any reservation to go with the Imagination. Here are my reasons...

Cabins:

Majasty's cabins are TINY. Not just small, but ridiculously small. Only 122 Square feet.

Imagination's are 185 square feet, newly remodeled.

Mini Suites:

I would book a Cat. 11 on Verandah deck of the Imagination over the mini suites of Majesty's anyday. The Cat 11's measure 220 sq feet vs 154 sq feet on Majesty!

We we're in cabin V11 on Imagination last year and it was heaven. They are very quiet and extremely romantic.

Food:

I know this is very subjective, but I have to tell you that Carnival wins overall in this department. Especially on the shorter cruise lengths. They have a great spa menu with healthier selections.

Fitness/Spa:

The Majesty's facilities are small. The Imagination has a very large fitness room, new equipment, free large Steam/Dry Sauna area in both men's and lady's locker rooms.

Fellow passengers:

Both target the same exact group for a 3 or 4 day cruise. There simply is no difference in the people on either ship. They are similar in price, destination, and vessel. RCCL fans will tell you that the passengers and experience are of a better "quality". The reality is that on these 3 or 4 day getaway cruises out of Miami, they are EXACTLY the same.

That's my two cents..... Hope you have a great time. If you want photos of our cabin, #V11, I'd be happy to provide them.

• 6 months later...

The pool on RCL ships is almost always a lot bigger than on Carnival's ships. Carnival has postage stamp pools and hot tubs.

Im on Majesty this fall, in a OV and will look again at the pool. Its been a while since I did SOV, many other ships in between. Carnival not known for their pools. They arent really for swimming, more for standing and getting wet and cooling off.

I really hate to say this because I have enjoyed my Carnival cruises and I am sure I will be on another Carnival ship someday, but if you care at all about the decor and condition of the ship, you might want to pick Majesty of the Seas. Yes, the cabins are smaller, but the ship overall is so much nicer than the Imagination. The Majesty is an older ship, but it is very well maintained and just a very nice ship overall. Carnival ships are in general very tacky, which doesn't bother me in general and is even kind of amusing sometimes, but the Inspiration takes tackiness to a whole new and unacceptable level. JMHO. Congratulations on your wedding!

Archived