Will I Make a 12:00 Noon Vancouver Flight?

seacrystal

I posted this on the cruise air board but only received one answer.

The Coral Princess is expected to dock in Vancouver at 7:30 a.m. for my June 18 cruise to Alaska. I have a chance to get a discount ticket leaving Vancouver Airport at 12:00 noon. Is this too tight? If I let Princess know will I get preferential disembarkation?

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should be OK. I would definitely let them know on the ship. Royal Caribbean disembarks passengers by their flights.

How did you get a discounted ticket. Everything we've found into Vancouver is absolutely ridiculous. That's why we are flying into Seattle. We figured it was because the cruise lines have everything tied up.

Assuming your ship arrives on time. I would think you would have time to make it, though I have heard stories about folks making it to the airport on time and then getting hung up at Vancouver Customs or Immigration or Security for long periods of time. I guess time will be tighter if more cruise ships arrive the same day you do. Could you spend a night in Vancouver and get the discount fare for the same time the next day?

Thanks max'smom and stephenandrew for your input.

What I meant by discounted ticket is that since November I have been watching airfare from my area. My problem is that we are flying from Orange County, CA to Seattle for 2 nights, Seattle to Fairbanks for cruisetour and then Vancouver to Orange County. Multi-city flights are outrageously expensive. In December the prices were between $750-$800. I kept thinking they would go down in January. Noooooooooooooooooo! They have gone way up ($900-$1,200) and worst of all, the return trip from Vancouver at 2:15 which was perfect for us appears to be gone. I am now stuck with the idea of 12:00 noon or 5:00 p.m. I do have one option which is Long Beach but I would prefer Orange County. I really want to stick with Alaska Air on these flights.

Since we are spending two days in Seattle we can't afford to stay a day in Vancouver as much as we would love to.

I think I just wanted to get the answer "sure - plenty of time" from someone.

Thanks again.

Personally, I'd opt for the 5pm flight if it's still available. It only takes one small hiccup...and those people at the trans border check in (Immigration and Security) can be awfully time consuming when they want to be, and those queues can be long too.

aussie jb,

Thanks for your opinion. I guess I really ought to go for the less stressful trip home, that being the later flight. I hadn't thought of the Immigration/Customs thing. My DH and I have brand new passports so I thought that would make it go faster but you never know what can happen and it pays to be careful. I would hate to ruin a beautiful trip by racing to the airport and missing my flight.

Thanks again,

International flights still recommend a 2 hour window. Most important if you remain with this flight option is to quickly get a cab to the airport. If a long line, head upstairs and tip the doorman for a cab. Allow 30 mins. for the transfer. See how this timeframe adds up for you??? Frankly plenty of people feel they are entitled to "early disembarkment" and seldom is everyone off the ship at once. Even if you do request this you may still be a later group off the ship.

Thank you Budget Queen.

I think I may well "wimp out" and buy the 5:00 p.m. flight just to be on the safe side. I have waited so long now 2 of the flights I was interested in from Orange County are gone. My only option is Long Beach. I better work fast. My husband heard on NBC News that more people are planning to travel in 2005 and if you do not buy airline tickets by the end of February you might be out of luck for the traveling season.:eek:

Again, thanks

P.S. I really enjoy your insight on your many posts through CC. I would heed all of your advice. Keep it coming across the Boards!!!

Archived