Liberty review - Western, Feb. 7 - with photos

Badlands99

REG.jpg

I am indebted and endeared to your daddy.

And what a legacy! The main man in Saving Private Ryan!

Thank you so much for your gracious words! I will share your words with him. Not only was he a great leader and soldier...but I know him best as a hard working man who provided for his family and set a wonderful example as a parent!

They truly are the 'Greatest Generation'!!!!

I really did not think of this until now! With my Dad being the WWII Vet and my husband Vietnam Era Vet, how appropriate we are sailing on the LIBERTY!! I did not put it together! A little slow I guess. lol:D

Gradelady too bad we are not on the same sailing! My Dad wants to go on the OASIS next. I don't know about that one. Pricing is off the charts for all of us. We'll see what comes about!

It really is great to chat with people that appreciate everything that ALL of our soliders do for us! Then and NOW!

Jo:):)

Jodrealtor, Gradelady

As a Viet Nam era vet and contract employee at a VA hospital, I would be honored if you and your fathers would join us on Oasis Jan 22, 2011.

Thank You for including us. Will have to give it some consideration. Thanks again!

Jodrealtor, Gradelady

As a Viet Nam era vet and contract employee at a VA hospital, I would be honored if you and your fathers would join us on Oasis Jan 22, 2011.

I wanna come, too!

You're going to need someone there to take pictures and heap praise upon all the Veterans in attendance, and I'm just the guy for the job.

I really did not think of this until now! With my Dad being the WWII Vet and my husband Vietnam Era Vet, how appropriate we are sailing on the LIBERTY!! I did not put it together! A little slow I guess. lol:D

Gradelady too bad we are not on the same sailing! My Dad wants to go on the OASIS next. I don't know about that one. Pricing is off the charts for all of us. We'll see what comes about!

It really is great to chat with people that appreciate everything that ALL of our soliders do for us! Then and NOW!

Jodrealtor, Gradelady

That would be so wonderful...however, traveling is too much for my Dad now...stresses him too much and he has mobility issues. His last trip was to Normandy for the 60th Anniversary of D-Day. Went with his son and two of his grandsons. My son was one of them and he said that the people in Normandy treated the vets like rockstars...very moving!

Thank you to all vets...your service to this great country is a debt we can never repay...so please accept our eternal gratitude for defending our freedom!

Great review and pictures! And a wonderful tribute to the WWII vet! Thank you. I am going on the Explorer in April and the Liberty in May (Eastern). These will be my 15th & 16th cruises with RCCL and am looking forward to making the way to the 25th cruise! I was actually trying to decide if MTD would work for us, but after reading your review, I think staying with traditional dining would be my preference. I like the fact that our waitstaff know us and, for us, that's one of the fun experiences of a cruise.

Things are looking up at Cozumel. I booked Nochi Cocum for the day and we really enjoyed it.

Out of all three of our previous cruises, and possibly the rest of her life, my wife's favorite thing to do is lounge on a mat at Labadee. Since this cruise didn't take us there, I tried to find a suitable replacement and I think I nailed it with Nochi Cocum. It's pretty, kind of quiet, the food is fantastic, and "Carlos" brought us all the drinks we could stand.

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

$5 for all the kayaking I could stand, which I learned was about one hours worth.

IMG_0287.jpg

It was FUN finding real nice sea shells. Our experience with sea shells is limited to the small and broken, so it was a real treat to find some large and beautiful ones. We were only allowed to bring back one shell each. A rule I think is pretty reasonable.

IMG_0311.jpg

Hi! First of all thanks so much for all the great pics. And especially thanks for the cruise compasses!!!!! I was just skimming through and looking at the pics then decided to start from the beginning and read it all. Sorry babling.. Anyway did you book Nochi Cocum through RCI or a private tour? We are going in June and I didn't see it in the excursion stuff. Thanks!

If there was a way to vote for the best thread ever, I think this one would win hands down! I originally started following it because we will be on the Liberty of the Seas in 6 short weeks. But now I am following it to hear more about our American heros. I googled Ralph E Gornanson so I could learn more about this amazing man and the what he did for our country. We owe everything to these men and I for one would like to say thank you to all vets, current and retired.

I only hope that I will be lucky enough to be seated with a hero at dinner when we sail next month.

I haven't seen that blog, but I like the idea of it. DEATH TO THE GREEN BOX! :D

http://stopshootingauto.com/ is the site (I am not sure if I can post it here or not but I'll try). I am a beginner but recommend it to anyone who hasn't figured out what all those things on the dial are for. It is very well written and I think you would enjoy the humor in it. (Like comparing the sensor to a bunch of gnomes)

As for Johnny Rockets, it's $4.95 per person as a cover charge. That gets you any food on the menu that you want. It does not include shakes, sodas, floats, etc. Those you have to pay for, in addition to the cover charge. We had a coupon for buy-one-get-one milkshakes, and I think they're about $5 also, so our total bill was around $15 I guess. The coupon was from a booklet that is given to repeat customers. Our booklet (the lowliest version, since we had only cruised 3 times previously) was mostly useless, but we did use the b1g1 milkshake coupon, and the $5 internet access credit (x2, since we each got a booklet).

At JR, they start bringing fries and onion rings as soon as you're seated. My wife had a big hot dog with some toppings and junk, and I had a specialty burger of some sort, with all kinds of good stuff on it. I could easily make a meal out of the shake and a basket or two of onion rings. Yummy.

Have a great cruise!

Thanks for answering my question! I was majorly confused. Not sure if I want to pay for a milkshake but I love them so I probably will. (There goes my diet).

I'll post a photo of my nerd mobile after I get the emblem and paint it.

I hope you take another cruise shortly so I can read that review too. I am also reserved for Nachi Cocum for my cruise. I am pretty excited about that! On the Taxis do you have to negotiate the price or are they fixed amount. I don't want to look like a moron for trying to negotiate something that cannot be negotiated. Also how hard was it to get a taxi back. I am extremely worried about getting back to the ship on time I don't want to miss it! There aren't any ports after my Cozumel stop where I could catch up to the ship.

Badlands,

Thanks for this great review! It is informative AND entertaining! DH and I are embarking in 3 weeks and are SO looking forward to a nice time on a great ship. DH was wondering if you have any info on slots...

The WWII Veteran and his wife told us about something that is astonishing to me, but after I learned about his history I forgot most everything else they said. This recently came back to me...

We were all oohing and aahing at the number of cruises they have been on, when they told us about "Mario." Apparently there's a guy named Mario who, for all practical purposes, LIVES on board the Liberty of the Seas.

They said that he has a job that can be done from any connected computer, and he makes good money doing it, so he chooses to live and work on the ship. They said he's been on hundreds of cruises in total, most of them consecutive.

If I weren't entrenched with a home, a business, and a happy marriage, I'd totally solicit Mario to be his personal assistant, man servant, or even boyfriend if necessary.

(You know, if you run the numbers, it's really not such a ridiculous idea for a single person. To totally commit to living on the ship, you'd have no expenses related to housing, or cars, or groceries. Even much of your alcohol would be free after a while, since you'd be Diamond+. I wonder what kind of discount you could get if you called RCCL and wanted to book 52 consecutive cruises at a time.)

I'm just now getting caught up on the last few pages of this great thread and saw your story about Mario. Reminded me of a ship I saw on television called The World. People create their own homes onboard, with some >2000 square feet in size. The ship tours around the the world and residents get on or off at whatever port they want. The show highlighted a husband and wife business partnership (real estate I think??) who live and work from the ship. Sounds like a dream lifestyle. More info:

http://www.aboardtheworld.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_(cruise_ship)

I wanna come, too!

You're going to need someone there to take pictures and heap praise upon all the Veterans in attendance, and I'm just the guy for the job.

That would be awesome! I use my digital camera (NIKON that I purchased on one of my cruises) and hope I have the best settings!!:)

Fortunately for us at 87 my Dad can still enjoy dancing and whatever else he loves to do! He wanted to know why he couldn't go cave tubing with us.:) 14 more days! YEAH!

Hi! First of all thanks so much for all the great pics. And especially thanks for the cruise compasses!!!!! I was just skimming through and looking at the pics then decided to start from the beginning and read it all. Sorry babling.. Anyway did you book Nochi Cocum through RCI or a private tour? We are going in June and I didn't see it in the excursion stuff. Thanks!

Hello and thanks!

I booked Nochi through Island Marketing on their web site. I try to avoid booking excursions through RCCL. There's too much money to be saved with independent operators.

Here's a link.

Great review and pictures! And a wonderful tribute to the WWII vet! Thank you.

Thank YOU!

I thought I would die laughing reading this.. On the Liberty on 3-14-10 (only 8 days!) Will look for the info on the Grand Cayman excursion since that is one of our stops!

Thanks! I'm glad you've been enjoying it.

Here's a link to where I booked the Sea Doo excursion at GC.

If there was a way to vote for the best thread ever, I think this one would win hands down! I originally started following it because we will be on the Liberty of the Seas in 6 short weeks. But now I am following it to hear more about our American heros. I googled Ralph E Gornanson so I could learn more about this amazing man and the what he did for our country. We owe everything to these men and I for one would like to say thank you to all vets, current and retired.

I only hope that I will be lucky enough to be seated with a hero at dinner when we sail next month.

Hey thanks!

I'm thrilled that this discussion has become a place to honor our Veterans. I'd post a picture and bio of all the others mentioned if I had one. I only posted that one of Mr. Goranson because it was so easy to find. WWII Vets have gotten much attention in this thread, but I have the same admiration for any Veteran. (Well, maybe not EXACTLY the same. WWII Vets are superstars!)

On the Taxis do you have to negotiate the price or are they fixed amount. I don't want to look like a moron for trying to negotiate something that cannot be negotiated. Also how hard was it to get a taxi back. I am extremely worried about getting back to the ship on time I don't want to miss it! There aren't any ports after my Cozumel stop where I could catch up to the ship.

The taxis at Cozumel (at the port, at least) are a fixed amount. There is even a "menu" at the port showing exactly how much it costs to get to the most common destinations (be sure to wait in "line" and not to make an ass of yourself like I did!). It was $15 to Nochi and that price is good for up to four people. That is the total cost, not per passenger. As far as getting back to the port, your attendant at Nochi will call a taxi when you are ready to go back to the ship. It was quick and painless. We just told Carlos as we started gathering our junk, and by the time we had changed and were ready to go, our taxi was waiting for us. It's another $15 to get back to the port.

The taxis at Cozumel (at the port, at least) are a fixed amount. There is even a "menu" at the port showing exactly how much it costs to get to the most common destinations (be sure to wait in "line" and not to make an ass of yourself like I did!). It was $15 to Nochi and that price is good for up to four people. That is the total cost, not per passenger. As far as getting back to the port, your attendant at Nochi will call a taxi when you are ready to go back to the ship. It was quick and painless. We just told Carlos as we started gathering our junk, and by the time we had changed and were ready to go, our taxi was waiting for us. It's another $15 to get back to the port.

Thanks for all the answers. I appreciate it. I'll make sure to wait in the line. I just hope I can find it as it sounds like it wasn't super obvious and frankly I am oblivious all the time. My wife usually keeps me in line so hopefully she'll figure it out.

My DW wants to know what the 'drink of the day' costs.

Also do they have 'bucket of beer' promos? And if so, how much??

I'm a Vietnam era veteran, and all the praise for our vets has touched my heart. Thanks to all the WW1 and WW2 vets that read this page!!!!!!!

It was an honor to serve our country, and still is for the volenteers who still put their lives on the line to keep the war(s) of our shores.

GOD bless America!

My DW wants to know what the 'drink of the day' costs.

Also do they have 'bucket of beer' promos? And if so, how much??

I'm a Vietnam era veteran, and all the praise for our vets has touched my heart. Thanks to all the WW1 and WW2 vets that read this page!!!!!!!

It was an honor to serve our country, and still is for the volenteers who still put their lives on the line to keep the war(s) of our shores.

GOD bless America!

Hello Garibaldi and thank you for your service in the military.

Tell your DW that the D.O.D.'s are about $6.

And they DID have the "bucket of beer" deals, but I don't know the price.

Have a great cruise!

Archived