Please help me decide--never been to JFK

mcfaddensfarm

We are flying from Boise to FLL on 9/30 and are planning to fly Delta. Here are our choices:

BOI-SLC (2.5 hr layover)-JFK (1.75 hr layover)-FLL or

BOI-LAX (3.5 hr layover)-ATL (2 hr layover)-FLL

Both itineraries are priced exactly the same. We've flown through SLC, LAX & ATL before and don't have any major problems with any of them but we've never been through JFK. My son wants to do the stop at JFK because we've never been to NY before. (Yes, I know we're not going outside or anything, but it's just the novelty of stopping somewhere we've never been before--one more state to check off.) But since I've never been to JFK I was wondering if someone could help me with information about it. If anyone out there has experience with these airports and can give me a little guidance I'd sure appreciate it!

We are flying from Boise to FLL on 9/30 and are planning to fly Delta. Here are our choices:

BOI-SLC (2.5 hr layover)-JFK (1.75 hr layover)-FLL or

BOI-LAX (3.5 hr layover)-ATL (2 hr layover)-FLL

Both itineraries are priced exactly the same. We've flown through SLC, LAX & ATL before and don't have any major problems with any of them but we've never been through JFK. My son wants to do the stop at JFK because we've never been to NY before. (Yes, I know we're not going outside or anything, but it's just the novelty of stopping somewhere we've never been before--one more state to check off.) But since I've never been to JFK I was wondering if someone could help me with information about it. If anyone out there has experience with these airports and can give me a little guidance I'd sure appreciate it!

I'd take the Atlanta layover anyday over JFK. JFK is known for delays!!! I was not impressed with JFK and avoid flights that connect there.

hmm, dealing with LAX/ATL or JFK. I'm fairly sure a similar decision is what put Hamlet over the edge. That said, like the other posters, I avoid JFK whenever possible and would take the LAX/ATL connection.

LOL ab0si, yeah not a life threatening decision...but we like to plan out our travel carefully. :)

I did forget to mention also that we are flying in 2 days early so there is no worry about cutting close to the cruise or anything. But in general it sounds like most people are not thrilled with JFK airport. Is it getting around the airport to different gates? The way it's situated? Delays were mentioned, so that's not good. But at least it's connecting to our last flight out so if we decide to try it and there are any delays we will just end up in FLL later and not miss any other connecting flights. Any other thoughts?

Just did a 'quick' search on Expedia for your flights. I'm guessing you have chosen Delta for the price?? Have you read these boards on Delta problems?? Wouldn't be my first choice - but you have your reasons for picking them, and that's ok.

Appears to be other options out there that cost a little bit more, but have 1 less stop. Personally, I'd pick one with only one stop and pay $100 more just for the convenience (plus non of them go thru JFK or ATL !!). You also seem to have a choice of Southwest, but their pricing isn't out yet for when you want to go.

Seems like u have lots of time to decide - good luck.

Agree with the other posts, T5 at LAX isn't terrible compared to others at LAX. I'd take it any day over JFK.

Also, I don't count connecting airports on my checklist of states. :) I have to leave the airport for it to "count", but that's just me.

A question that I would have would be what type of equipment do you have out of BOI. If it's a CRJ, I would lean towards whatever doesn't have the RJ, if only to get out of it as soon as possible. If both have CRJ equipment, then I would lean towards the SLC routing.

Personally, I haven't found JFK to be that bad within the DL complex. Yes, the terminals are old and dreary, and you want to have a good feel for the layout of the place when making a connection. But, you make up for that with SLC, which I think is a great connecting hub. LAX's T5 is pretty good, and ATL works - though many think it is too big for them. Your times are long enough for most operations.

This represents my own bias against CRJs - except for those with a F cabin, when I score the upgrade. Other folks think they're fine. Your choice.

Well this sucks....I had to wait until after work to deposit my check so I could buy these tickets. I just got home and went to the Delta web site and both of those flights are now $55 pp more! :( Damn it, in hindsight I should have just held them for 24 hours while I decided. You can still do that, right? Well it's a moot point now.

FlyerTalker the flight out of Boise with the connection to SLC was on an MD-90. The other one was on a CRJ 700. But, as I said in my previous post, kind of a moot point now. Now the only flight available at that price is one that has a stop in SLC (only a 56 min stop...makes me nervous) a second stop in MSP (3 hr 22 min stop.) An MD-90, an Airbus A320....and....weird....the 3rd pland just says "change planes". No explanation of what kind of plane it is.

I know that some of you will not understand someone balking at a ticket that is $55 - $100 more but for someone who has had a very rough year financially I have to make careful choices when booking this airfare. I normally always try to fly with only one connection but if it's saving me $200+ to make a second stop I'm not going to whine.

Now the only flight available at that price is one that has a stop in SLC (only a 56 min stop...makes me nervous) a second stop in MSP (3 hr 22 min stop.) An MD-90, an Airbus A320....and....weird....the 3rd pland just says "change planes". No explanation of what kind of plane it is.

...aaaaannnnnd.....now it's gone up in price too. Damnit. Live and learn.

Archived