Whale watching and Glacier

taylortroop

From a past thread, you have convinced me to forget about the white water rafting and do the whale watching with Captain Larry. Can someone explain to me how both excursions work - whale watching and then Mendenhall Glacier. How long are we talking? Obviously it's enough time while in port but do you cut in close to get back in time? Thanks.

I just booked Capt. Larry's Whale Watching for our stop on May 9 - We will be the first (Sapphire Princess) into Juneau for the season (May 9)- and will have Capt. Larry as our "Skipper" Hooray! Thanks for all the recommendations from this board! GotToCruise (aka Renee)

IF You are dropped off at Mendenhall by Orca Enterprises- it is 10 mins. to get there. Then you stay as long as you wish at Mendenhall- if you are just looking around - then get in the shuttle bus line and return- WARNING- there can be significant waits here. If in dire need to return to town, take a cab. Allow 2o mins. for the return to downtown.

Taylor

They will drop you off at the visitor center and you can walk down to the lake overlook, or on over to the glacier overlook. About five minute walk each. I hear you can hike around the lake to the left and end up at the base of the glacier. Walking to the right, you can get close but not all the way. The only way here to get up on top of a glacier is usually to take a helecoptor ride. At Exit Glacier in Seward, you can get pretty close also.

Taylor

They will drop you off at the visitor center and you can walk down to the lake overlook, or on over to the glacier overlook. About five minute walk each. I hear you can hike around the lake to the left and end up at the base of the glacier. Walking to the right, you can get close but not all the way. The only way here to get up on top of a glacier is usually to take a helecoptor ride. At Exit Glacier in Seward, you can get pretty close also.

No you can't hike around the left from the visitor center- and end up at the base- you have to cross the river. To consider the West Glacier Trail you have to drive to the other side of the lake, or take a cab and start at that point- it is over 6 miles with a 5 hour recommendation. There is no glacier access from any trail leaving from the visitor center side. And the closest is "unofficial" just walking along the lake past the photo point trail. Best to have water proof footwear.

So, when Orca Enterprises drops you off at Mendenhall Glacier, are you actually on the glacier and able to walk around on it. What is the price of this?

No you have a full glacier view- for FREE, no access to the glacier. The visitor center has a $3 admission fee if of interest.

Archived