new article 10 Things Your Cruise Line Won't Tell You

fpat

As in many published articles there is a mix of useful information and flat out wrong information. Here's paragraph 4, at least the header is correct.

4. "Sure, We Can Take Care of Your Plane Reservations, but You'd Do a Whole Lot Better on Your Own."

"Many cruise lines offer to book customers' airfare, with the guarantee that -- should there be a flight delay -- they'll hold the ship or fly them to the next port."

WRONG. WRONG. WRONG. Cruise air is provided as a convenience and the cruise lines specifically deny any responsibility or accountability for the passenger getting to the port of embarkation on time, holding the ship if the flight is late, or getting them to the next port. That is one reason why trip insurance is critical. Read the sticky at the top of the "Cruise Air" board to really understand consolidator air tickets (what the cruise line provides.) A free cruise to anyone who can find this "guarantee" in writing from any cruise line.

This myth that the cruise line provides this "guarantee" is harder to kill than the abominable snowman.

Numerous examples of cruise passengers astonished that neither the airline nor the cruise line has any interest in their missed connections resulting in missing embarkation are found in the cruise air board. Have a look at the "missed cruise due to Delta" thread over at Royal Caribbean.

Yes, occasionally a ship will wait a limited time for a significant number of delayed passengers. Be grateful if it happens, but do not rely on it.

"Booking airfare independently will be cheaper most of the time, says Gorfain. But when the cruise lines book it, they will oversee the flight. That means if there are weather delays and you miss the ship, the cruise, in tandem with the airline, will arrange to get passengers to the next port of call, he says."

This article is just so bad -- it creates a false sense of security. Cruise lines do NOT "oversee" the flight. They do not "arrange" to get passengers to the next port. There are numerous disadvantages to cruise air; in this article "Smart Money" is just plain "dumb."

Nice, informative article, especially if you've never cruised. A bit negative, but just remember, there's no such thing as ALL-INCLUSIVE. One CAN cruise and not spend extra money. (I don't count tips as spending extra money, because I tip anyway whenever I go to a restaurant, or ride a cab, or stay in a hotel, etc). One does not have to eat in the "upscale" restaurant, or use the spa amenities (massages, etc) or buy drinks or specialty coffees. Even though the cruiselines "push" these extras, they don't FORCE you to succomb. All in all, a cruise is still an economical way to vacation, but certainly not all-inclusive.

This article is exactly why I canceled my subscription to Smart Money over a year ago- I found most of the articles to be negative and sensationalistic. More importantly, it seemed that they often got important facts and information wrong.

This particular article is misleading on a number of levels. Yes, I am aware that the shore excursions offered by the ship are pricey but there is a security factor in taking shore excursions and some types of trips are not available unless you select a shore excursion- example- the special cruise charters for cruise ship passengers only on the Taeri Gorge Railway in Dunedin New Zealand. This trip is not even possible to do without being on a special charter.

Agree, with those who have said this article is extremely negative & not correct in every instance..

However, point No 8 about insurance sold by the Cruise Line has me wondering why someone would purchase HAL's insurance as opposed to private companies on Insure my trip.com...

The article claims: One of HAL's basic policies, for medical coverage, has a $10,000 illness and $50,000 emergency evacuation maximum, and averages around $160 per passenger (depending on the fare). They also say if you are on an independent excursion, or just walking around the port, you are not covered...:eek:That would be very scary to me..

They also claim that CSA's Travel Protection Plan covers trip cancellation and provides $250,000 in illness coverage and $1,000,000 in evacuation expenses for just over $70, & will cover you in port..

Cheers...:)Betty

This myth that the cruise line provides this "guarantee" is harder to kill than the abominable snowman.

Numerous examples of cruise passengers astonished that neither the airline nor the cruise line has any interest in their missed connections resulting in missing embarkation are found in the cruise air board. Have a look at the "missed cruise due to Delta" thread over at Royal Caribbean.

Yes, occasionally a ship will wait a limited time for a significant number of delayed passengers. Be grateful if it happens, but do not rely on it.

We sailed the Golden Princess to Hawaii in Dec./08. Passengers on Alaska Airlines were delayed in getting to port and we waited a few hours and then left. But, luckily these passengers had air arrangement thru Princess and they were flown to the first port in Hawaii and put up in a hotel until the ship arrived. They were luckier than us as the trip over was cold and rough - we were envious!

Archived