Changing tables

Ryancoke

If you request a table change due to not getting along with someone does this usually work out? Won't you likely just trade places with someone who didn't like their dining companions also? Jumping from the frying pan into another frying pan?

No, not even close. The first few nights there are table changes all thru the diningroom for various reasons. Too far to walk, not the number of guests requested at the table, don't like the location, request not honored, we don't like the lighting, we don't like where we are seated and we requested center of the diningroom versus the outer edge. You will fit right in with the rest of the crowd looking for different accomodations. :D

We changed tables (without even meeting our original companions) because we had been placed on a table of Australians. As we are from Australia ourselves we asked to be put on the table of people from a different part of the world. We then spent the 42 nights with four lovely Americans whom we still correspond with, 2 years later. However, it may be a little embarressing to change tables once you have met your other companions, unless there has been a verbal disagreement.

Although making up ones mind after meeting table companions just once may seem judgemental, but it is better than waiting .

On two Celebrity cruises I left it "for a few days" and that was the wrong decision . The first time the table was all female, two had gross table manners, and one showed too much skin, and from her remarks made it clear she was there to "pick up someone for sex"

Second cruise, a very fat male, came to table , no jacket , shirt that gaped he was so fat and wearing Red suspenders, he tucked the napkin under his triple chins, and boasted he had paid "less than $30 a day but you suckers paid hundreds" For some reason he decided I had never married, but had produced 2 children "out of wedlock" and he derided my "lack of morales" I wanted to pour my glass of water over his fat head.!!!!

I was been happily married for over 50 years, (although my darling Jim is now dead.) My first child was not born until we had been married over a year. but because I did not share these personal details with these strangers I was subject to an appalling experience

If your table companions are people you would prefer not to sit with then please do something about it ASAP. You do not have to give them any explanations so there is no embarassment in changing tables. You should not have to be unhappy night after night.

If your table companions are people you would prefer not to sit with then please do something about it ASAP. You do not have to give them any explanations so there is no embarassment in changing tables. You should not have to be unhappy night after night.

Absolutely! Act - don't wait - and in the (very unlikely) event of you bumping into your former table companions again, mention something about 'meeting some friends you didn't know were onboard' and move on....

Thanks for the info folks. I wondered how to handle it if it really bothered me.

Some of the stories you hear make me shake my head and wonder how the company establishes these pairings.

And some of the people themselves. Like a couple who requests a table for 4 and show up first and sit across from eachother. Or a family of 6 who request a table for 8 knowing they will ignore the poor couple who end up with them.

. Like a couple who requests a table for 4 and show up first and sit across from eachother.

I'm sorry, not being funny, but is there an etiquette for the seating arrangements of 2 people at a table for 4.

Previously we've had a table for 6 and several for 2.

We've requested a table for two on our next one, but are unlikely to get it & the (P&O) default is a table for 4 - I don't know what our default reactions would be presented with an empty table for 4 - sit next to each other or opposite - but I'd hate to inadvertantly upset anyone.

I'm sorry, not being funny, but is there an etiquette for the seating arrangements of 2 people at a table for 4.

Previously we've had a table for 6 and several for 2.

We've requested a table for two on our next one, but are unlikely to get it & the (P&O) default is a table for 4 - I don't know what our default reactions would be presented with an empty table for 4 - sit next to each other or opposite - but I'd hate to inadvertantly upset anyone.

With friends one would not normally sit next to your own husband unless the table were round, then it cannot be avoided, unless the men were next to each other, which is not the usual seating plan. But with friends people are sharing the wine and water as well as each others company. On a cruise if we are forced to share with strangers we are drinking our own wine and water and may be quite different to the other couple by way of tastes. I have been brought up to not start my food until everyone has their food and not to leave the table until all have finished, how can this work with people who are strangers to each other arriving and leaving as they wish?

If you are in the Britannia , everyone should be there at the same time (or within 5minutes ) usually the waiters do give time for this, handing out the menus and waiting a little before taking the the orders. Since they also bring the food at the same time for each course , the entire table finishes at the same time (or within minutes) Of course it sometimes happens that an event means someone leaving early, but that simply means that you say politely "I am sorry but I will have to leave as soon as desert is finishined in order to blah blah bla h" No problem really.

Do you sometimes get the inconsiderate diner, who comes 20 mins late every night ? Yes, but you usually find that the rest simply go ahead and eat as normal.

If a problem arises it is usually caused by

a/ The ones who think the entire ship is theirs to do as they like regardless of rules.

b/ The greedy ones, who order two or even three of everything, leaving most uneaten of course.

c/ The ones who share everything with their significent other, passing food or plates back and

d/ Those who ignore the cardinal rule, NEVER discusss SEX,POLITICS or RELIGION at the table.

As a solo cruiser, I like to move around the table, so that I sit beside a different person every night, this is good if the table is for 8 otherwise I do not really "meet" the people at the bottome of the table.

We made a mistake on an eastbound TA in November when we were seated at a table for eight in Britannia Club that was unacceptable due to very vocal table mate. We should have requested a change immediately but because that seemed awkward, we happily ate at the alternative venues the rest of the voyage and all were delicious. The last day the maitre'd actually called to find out why we hadn't returned to the Britannia Club, and he promised that next time he would find us a good table. It was a valuable lesson to learn for future voyages.

We've only been on twice. Once our family used a table for four. And last time the 2 of us were at a sixer. One couple was very nice. The other (esp her) was er, uhh, umm, well the second night I said to my wife 'It's OK, I'll sit next to her'. I can usually conceal emotion while inserting the occasional 'How fascinating!' or such while actually chuckling inside. It's also nice that a lot goes over my head. I'm talented that way.;)

Although making up ones mind after meeting table companions just once may seem judgemental, but it is better than waiting .

If you are exposed to such disgusting behaviour as Jimsgirl has been this is certainly the right way.

Yet I would like to share an experience which shows how rewarding it can be to get over an unpleasant first encounter in other cases:

On the first night of a voyage I was seated on a table for six, an elderly British couple, two American women travelling together, an American solo man and me. Every attempt to start a conversation ended in disaster. Nobody really understood the other guests. Judgements, silence. Bad mood was growing.

I thought about asking for a different table but learned that the American man had already decided not to eat in the dining room most of the time. Not wanting to be unpolite and leave the table, too, I gave it another try. What a difference! We got along very well for the following nights. Maybe everybody was a little bit tired the first night, or aggreviated by some obstacles at embarkation or flauws in the service, or even over-excited, or nervous, or what ever. Once people started to open upthemselves more we learned a lot: Some misunderstandings of the first night had in fact been due to simple hearing problems and many more to language issues, British versus American versus my mix-up. In fact I sometimes had to "translate" between these two versions of English having lived both in England and the States in the past. Being from different countries and age groups we found so many topics to talks about, we became the table who stayed the longest time in our part of the restaurant.

Well, in short: It was good to return to the table.

And on the last night or so it proved even more that it was the right thing to do when the elderly lady told me that they had been so afraid in the beginning everybody would regard them as boring and nobody would like to sit with them.

We have been fortunate and only changed 3 times. The first time was on HAL, balcony table with another couple. They were obsessed by food and would have about 5 starters and try out each others, 2 mains each and a few puddings. As you can imagine they were enormous! Scarcely any room for our wine glasses because of all their plates. We just had to sit there waiting for them to finish each course. Conversation NIL however much we tried. After two nights we changed and we told them we had met friends and joining them. We were placed on a round table for 8. The first time no-one came...we were sitting alone and they were looking down from the balcony right at us. Very embarrasing.

Once people started to open upthemselves more we learned a lot: Some misunderstandings of the first night had in fact been due to simple hearing problems and many more to language issues, British versus American versus my mix-up. In fact I sometimes had to "translate" between these two versions of English having lived both in England and the States in the past. Being from different countries and age groups we found so many topics to talks about, we became the table who stayed the longest time in our part of the restaurant.

Well, in short: It was good to return to the table.

And on the last night or so it proved even more that it was the right thing to do when the elderly lady told me that they had been so afraid in the beginning everybody would regard them as boring and nobody would like to sit with them.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. We're always taught not to jump to conclusions or make hasty judgements, but I guess it is just human nature to do so. You've taught me to give it at least another try before jumping ship (I mean table of course). :)

Archived