What's the diff?

Altarose

I believe that the ones on the emerald deck are covered, and the ones on the dolphin deck have larger balconies that are half covered and half uncovered.

Dolphin deck minis have a completely open balcony.Caribe deck has half covered and half open.

Does anyone know the difference between the AD mini-suites on Emerald deck and the AB mini-suites on Dolphin deck on the Crown? Are the balconies any different?

I don't believe there is any difference in the balcony size. As previously stated Emerald Deck are covered, Dolphin Deck are not.

Balcony size is the same, only covered and uncovered is the difference. Donna, I think you are confusing the minis with the balcony cabins where Caribe deck balconys are larger than those on other decks and are half covered half not. With the minis, the interrior of the mini suite, and balcony size is the same.

IMHO, the "AD" mini-suites on Emerald deck are the best ones on the ship. :) As stated, they are covered as opposed to uncovered, but they are also extremely private as there are only six of them on each side of the ship. You do get some sun, depending on the direction the ship is sailing and the time of day but you're also somewhat protected from wind and rain. All this and you often pay less than for a cabin on Dolphin deck. :) Here's a photo of my AD E725 balcony (while docked.)

324811495_ADMini-suitebalcony.jpg.8efb50dab065c707687eac2380a5b7fc.jpg

Thank you all for your prompt replies. That seems to answer my question. My sister is booked in an AD and I was upgraded to an AB so now I know what I can rib her about :D
They once tried to "upgrade" me to an AB and I refused it. The AD is MUCH better (but that's only my opinion.)

They once tried to "upgrade" me to an AB and I refused it. The AD is MUCH better (but that's only my opinion.)

Based on your similar comments on other threads, we had our reservation marked Do Not Upgrade. We want to stick with the AD (although I hope they'd contact us if we came up for an upgrade to a full suite! but risk I'm willing to take.)

Have you ever had the Ultimate Balcony Dinner in an AD? Is the wind factor any different?

Have you ever had the Ultimate Balcony Dinner in an AD? Is the wind factor any different?
No, I haven't. But since the balcony is far more protected, you'll be less prone to wind. My guess is that it would be a better UBD experience as it'd more private, if nothing else. In my experience, the AD is far more private and quiet. There are no inside cabins across the hall so it's only the six mini's, an oceanview with balcony and a full suite at that end of the corridor.

We are huge fans of the AD Emerald mini suites. We have had them on the Star, Golden, Grand and Sapphire.

The covered balcony's allow for more privacy and less wind. The Dolphin Deck balcony is wide open and you get to meet all of your neighbors which can be a good and bad thing.

In Alaska last year, we had a little rain in the Tracy Arm and were able to sit on the balcony in the rain.

If you can, book E729 or 728 and get the extra large balcony and the party will be in your cabin.

Happy Cruising:D:D

IMHO, the "AD" mini-suites on Emerald deck are the best ones on the ship. :) As stated, they are covered as opposed to uncovered, but they are also extremely private as there are only six of them on each side of the ship. You do get some sun, depending on the direction the ship is sailing and the time of day but you're also somewhat protected from wind and rain. All this and you often pay less than for a cabin on Dolphin deck. :) Here's a photo of my AD E725 balcony (while docked.)

Thank you for the picture Pam. Last year we were on the Crown and each had a balcony on Aloha deck. Although they weren't mini-suites we were very happy with them. This year we upgraded to mini's but I have to admit that my tastes do differ from yours. I would much rather have an balcony that is open to the sea air, wind and sun. Your picture makes the balcony look a little dark although if it's privacy you're after than this would be a perfect choice. ;)

No, I haven't. But since the balcony is far more protected, you'll be less prone to wind. My guess is that it would be a better UBD experience as it'd more private, if nothing else. In my experience, the AD is far more private and quiet. There are no inside cabins across the hall so it's only the six mini's, an oceanview with balcony and a full suite at that end of the corridor.

Pam,

Can you tell me how quiet the Emerald mini-suite is? Isn't it just above Club Fusion? I'm wondering how much you hear the music late at night. I like my room very quiet..

Thanks!

Janie

Louise,

I'm with you. I like the open air balconies on the Dolphin deck. I just don't care if someone is looking down on me. I'm too old to be frisky on the balcony anyway.:rolleyes: I think it's more important to have the clear view of the ocean from my balcony. If I were sailing to Alaska, I might rethink that, but for the Caribbean I like the Dolphin deck.

We would normally prefer an open balcony and wouldn't care if people above could see us, but on our June cruise on the Diamond in Alaska we chose a covered balcony mini-suite (AD) on purpose to protect us from the rain. We plan to spend a bit of time on the balcony sightseeing and there is a good chance of rain in Alaska. Also, the sun shoud be out around 22hrs. a day then so hopefully it won't be too dark. In fact, we may be wishing for more darkness so we can get some sleep! ;)

We had to really work to convince our TA that we REALLY didn't want a free upgrade from our Emerald AD mini-suite this coming August. A covered balcony on an Alaska cruise seems like a really good idea. On Caribbean cruises, Dolphin deck mini-suites have been fine for us, though.

On the Grand/Golden, E728/E729 have relatively larger balconies. You can't tell by the ship's diagram, but it has been widely reported that these two AD's have really large balconies that extend simply because of their location (each one is last cabin on either side).

Someone had provided the dimensions before...not sure where I saw that before....but these two mini-suites have balconies that are completely covered (although if someone wanted to lay in sun, there are still times when that can be done) and run much wider than the regular minis.

Can you tell me how quiet the Emerald mini-suite is? Isn't it just above Club Fusion? I'm wondering how much you hear the music late at night. I like my room very quiet..
Very few people have reported any noise from Club Fusion and they were in one of the last cabins on the port side of the ship, which is directly above the bandstand and speakers. I've had E725 twice and never heard a thing.

I think it's more important to have the clear view of the ocean from my balcony. If I were sailing to Alaska, I might rethink that, but for the Caribbean I like the Dolphin deck.
The ADs are closer to the water and you actually have a clearer view of the ocean from your balcony. The only difference is the covering so you're not going to see as much sky when sitting on your balcony. :)

We had the last starboard mini on Emerald Deck. Loved the larger wrap balcony and could see the wake a bit. Very private and peaceful. Never heard noise from Club Fusion but we purposely booked starboard to stay away from being "directly" above the band set up. We have another mini on Emerald deck this May but the last cabin was already taken. They are the first to go. With the price drop we upgraded from our balcony on Caribe to the mini. Definitely place a no upgrade if that 's what you really want to keep.

Pam,

Thanks!

Janie

We were in the last mini on port side on the Grand 2 cruises ago and the second to last mini on starboard side on the Grand our last cruise. Of course the Grand has the Vista Lounge instead of club fusion. On the port side mini we could hear all the music quite clearly from the Vista Lounge. There were 2 production shows at the Vista Lounge on that cruise. The next cruise on starboard side, same shows - we could not hear a thing. I prefer starboard side for that reason.

Archived