Fun Aboard the Celebrity Solstice Including Labadee Haiti

Richabot

My wife and I had a wonderful time aboard the Celebrity Solstice January 31 - February 7, 2010, and here is my video. You will see scenes of Fort Lauderdale the week before the Superbowl, lots of public areas aboard the Solstice, the sailaway party, waltz lessons from professional dancers Leanne and Larry, spectacular imagery arriving San Juan, the Sizzle Latin dance party, Philipsburg, St. Maarten and the Beach Fun Mobile tour, Orient Beach, the Baths of Virgin Gorda at Tortola, and an example of how an industry trade group can meet aboard a cruise ship (not a commercial though, I promise, since you probably don't know our group). Finally, you will enjoy lots of scenes from Labadee, Haiti including Malfini Beach, post quake. I edited this video using iMovie and shot it using my extremely compact Sony HDR-TG5V.

http://www.youtube.com/richardjcaudle#p/a/u/0/vJguqMY3dHU

We booked the Scoot Coupes through the Celebrity Solstice shore excursions in advance of our departure. It was called St. Maarten Beach Fun Mobile Tour -SMA2. It was a little pricey at $114 USD per person when two people ride in one car (one drive, one rider). We drove all the way to Orient Beach for a 45 minute stay. And, one stop along the way to look at wild marine life pulled from the beach by locals... conch, starfish. If you desire, you can switch drivers at Orient Beach. I've also seen those Scoot Coupes for rental in Fort Lauderdale, so they are starting to be at several resort destinations, and they have a website with destinations listed and how to book on your own. In St. Maarten we rode in a procession, stayed closely together so that no other vehicles could intervene. They have minimum age requirements; minimum/maximum weight and height requirements. Check the shore excursion details with your ship. Thanks for watching my video!

Thanks for the info. Can't imagine driving around Ft. Laud. in one of those with all the traffic! We grew up there, but it was quite different back then, just like a small town "Where the Boys Are" ! Don't live there now, we're on the west coast of Florida, not as busy. Thanks again.

I had lots of feedback from various forums that people want to know more about the little cars, the Scoot Coupes. I thought the Celebrity dancers would be the favorites, but nope, people like the little cars. Here's some extended footage our our Scoot Coupe excursion in St. Maarten. It's 2:17 so you can see a little more of the hills and scenery than what I included in 50 seconds of my general video, my first post to this thread. These cars are fun!

http://www.youtube.com/richardjcaudle#p/a/u/0/YIK6ffMSToU

• 1 month later...

The Solice stop at labadee was interesting. It gives a taste of Haiti without a lot of the danger, though I think I may have encountered some, even there. One of the vendors tried to collar me by acting very rude and aggressive. I finally had to tell him to "F" off which engendered an angry response. Even in the confines of Royal Carribean's amusement park the hostility of the Haitians towards "wealthy" Americans is evident. :eek:

Yes, they don't get it in the "artisan area." The main shop was doing 10 times the business because nobody was being hassled. I tried to explain to them that they were hurting themselves because word was spreading among the tourists to stay away from that area. A few nodded their heads, but I knew it wouldn't do any good. Also, they were aggressively competing with one another. Poverty breeds ignorance and desperation. Or is it the other way around? Definitely sad. BTW, a wonderful shore excursion is the Malfini Beach experience at Labadee. It is so beautiful there. Isolated and nobody hassling you. You are paying for exclusivity, but it might just be worth it.

Poverty is a viscous circle and everything seems to breed everything. Our guide on the walking tour was very candid about Haitian mentality in that respect. The Haitians believe we are there to bring money to them....At least that's what we tell them. Maybe some take that too literally. As far as exclusivity goes, no sin in that. The Solstice tour is certainly exclusive and quite an experience at that. I, myself, like places that aren't too crowded.

Archived