Southern Caribbean fron San Juan ?

Luke gs Daddy

We sailed out of San Juan last March and had a wonderful time. Here is a link to my review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=948676&highlight=

This was my 6th cruise and I absolutely loved it but every day is a port day so it is quite a difference experience then your normal cruise. Unless you choose to skip a port, there is not a lot of relaxation.

You will have fun though!

The cruises from SJU are the best IMO.Southern Islands are great if you like the ocean ....the turquoise sea ,the soft sand beautiful reefs .I particularly like Curacao for shopping and St Thomas or St Maarten as well

I found each island different and locals rather nice

In Dominica the whale watch was Fabulous Very nice boat and crew

Aruba had interesting diving sites ....the wreck gave us the creeps but it was interesting

I like the sun and warm seas ...you will find this in Southern Carib

What I did not like is the AIRPORT on departure day ....what a zoo. You MUST go thru Agriculture BEFORE going to your airline.There are no carts ...you shlep your luggage round and round....I was exhausted BEFORE i got to the plane!!!...not fun Give yourself LOADS of time YOU WILL NEED IT

You will enjoy Victory but get sandwiched between 2 decks for Quiet sleep .Fun comedians late at night ...nice outdoor parties

We are thinking of doing a Cruise from San Juan. I have put a little effort in researching from the boards, however I was wanting some opinions and experiences from cruisers who have sailed from SJ ?

Thanks and have a great day.

We have a whole CC group going in April.

We have found many detailed reviews on here recently that helped in our planning.

:D

My Wife and I have sailed out of San Juan many times. We had no problems, usually takea low cost flight from FLL (Spirit or Airtran) the day of the cruise (since the ship doesn't usually leave until about 10 pm; your time and level of comfort with this may differ:D)

I do agree that the Southern Caribbean is port intensive....however with some planning it can be as busy or relaxing as you like. What ports do you plan to go to?

Andy

We're sorry we didn't get a chance to meet you and your family on our recent Valor cruise. I hope you had a great time-we sure did!

While I have never sailed from PR, I lived in PR, so as your plans unfold, I would be more than happy to help. I lived in an apartment just a few blocks from the cruise terminal in Old San Juan. I know you traveled to FLL a few days early and would recommend a pre or post cruise stay in PR as well. Renting a car and exploring independently is fun, easy, and safe.

We are planning to do a PR cruise, as well, for our 10th anniversary in 2011. We will do at least a week pre or post to see old friends and explore some more of the island. We love PR and plan to retire there.

We sailed out of SJ on our first cruise, the morning after our wedding, and did not know CC existed.

If we could pull it off during that hectic time, being cruise rookies, and having no extra info on the process via CC, then just by being here you are in good shape.

Do your research, get comfy with the process, book with confiendence, and have a great time!

We're sorry we didn't get a chance to meet you and your family on our recent Valor cruise. I hope you had a great time-we sure did!

While I have never sailed from PR, I lived in PR, so as your plans unfold, I would be more than happy to help. I lived in an apartment just a few blocks from the cruise terminal in Old San Juan. I know you traveled to FLL a few days early and would recommend a pre or post cruise stay in PR as well. Renting a car and exploring independently is fun, easy, and safe.

We are planning to do a PR cruise, as well, for our 10th anniversary in 2011. We will do at least a week pre or post to see old friends and explore some more of the island. We love PR and plan to retire there.

We fell asleep and when I awoke it was over.

We are looking at the 4/03/11 sailing.

We are thinking of doing a Cruise from San Juan. I have put a little effort in researching from the boards, however I was wanting some opinions and experiences from cruisers who have sailed from SJ ?

Thanks and have a great day.

i've done it twice. may 08 and just this past jan17. i think its the best cruise carnival offers.

We were on the Victory in Jan. for our frist cruise and loved everything about it. San Juan was a great place to spend some time before our cruise, as it really feels like the first port, rather than just another big North American city. We also liked that we didn't waste a lot of time getting to/from the Caribbean, but rather started there. (Some people love sea days, but for us it was all about the ports) The itinerary was perfect for us, and getting to see 7 islands (or 8 if you go to St. John), was fabulous. I've already been looking at other ships and itineraries, but I don't think another will compare for us. The only one that's close is a Princess cruise out of San Juan with only 1 sea day that goes to the ABC islands, which would be nice.... or maybe we'll do the Victory again. :)

Our absolute favorite itinerary so fiar !!! EXHAUSTING THOUGH !!!!! Port a day to new islands tends to tire you out before the late shows on board. Doing another southern next year out of FLL

Yes, I do agree. It was such a busy week. However, one could stay on the ship and make their own sea day if so inclined, or just do an easy half day excursion. We're not about staying on the ship ourselves, but if we do this one again we'd do it a little differently, particularly since we've seen the ports (unless they change the itinerary again by that time). We'd head straight to the beach and just relax all day. A sandy beach and ocean to swim in (and maybe snorkel) beats a deck and tiny swimming pool on the ship any day in our books.

Went last January (2009) and heading back this weekend. Absolutely a great place to tour and the Itinerary is absolutely amazing. You will get tired, but that can be controlled with using a day to go shopping and hanging out on board. It is nice to not have a sea day and make one your own, as few people will be onboard, as opposed to a regular sea day and everyone on deck.

You might find out what a Quinceañera is

OK, what is a quinceafiera? Is it a dinr? Cruising Pride out of Baltimore 4/18 and maybe I should search for that? Or maybe not!!!! Victory out of San Juan is a great cruise. If it is too port intensive for any cruiser, take a day in port to make it a day at sea. However, there are great ports and it is a fun cruise. I have read that they nol onger do Antigua - which port did they replace this with? This ship has great ports, fun on board, great cabins - food and MDR servie just ok. Room serive for lunch/snacks - best on the seas. Just my opinion. Enjoy

OK, what is a quinceafiera?

It's a huge party that many Hispanic families have when their daughter turns 15. Basically, an American Sweet Sixteen but more on par with a wedding. They usually cost thousands of dollars and are pretty elaborate. I went to one a few years ago and even for being a low key one, it was still quite the shindig!

Our Victory cruise has replaced Antigua with St. Maarten. Kind of bummed since so many ships go there.

It's a huge party that many Hispanic families have when their daughter turns 15. Basically, an American Sweet Sixteen but more on par with a wedding. They usually cost thousands of dollars and are pretty elaborate. I went to one a few years ago and even for being a low key one, it was still quite the shindig!

Our Victory cruise has replaced Antigua with St. Maarten. Kind of bummed since so many ships go there.

Thanks for the explanation. Glad we don't live there as we have 2 daughters and the wedding expenses are bad enough!!!! Excure typos in my post - posted too late at night!!!!!

Archived