Southern Caribbean fron San Juan ?

Luke gs Daddy

My DH and I are pretty sure we want to book this cruise. I was just reading through the reviews, and saw a lot of negative stuff about all of the locals who are on the cruise. Did anyone experience any of the problems the reviews are speaking of on the ship ? I normally wouldn't think twice, but there were an awful lot of reviewers saying the would not sail out from San Juan again due to all the rudeness experienced on the ship from the locals.

We did this cruise last August and loved it. Didn't even notice any locals?? We met a couple from St. Croix and Bermuda and they were great. I honestly didn't notice any rude people on our cruise. (Could be that I was in heaven and any thing negative flew under my radar!) I would do this cruise again in a heartbeat. St. Lucia and Barbados are 2 of the most beautiful places on earth IMHO.

My DH and I are pretty sure we want to book this cruise. I was just reading through the reviews, and saw a lot of negative stuff about all of the locals who are on the cruise. Did anyone experience any of the problems the reviews are speaking of on the ship ? I normally wouldn't think twice, but there were an awful lot of reviewers saying the would not sail out from San Juan again due to all the rudeness experienced on the ship from the locals.

i've never experienced anything like what you speak of.

There are constantly posts about the "locals" out of San Juan. We have cruised out of there for 8 years and our group of 21 adults have NEVER experienced what we have read on MANY MANY threads. We stay in San Juan precruise and meet many nice Puertoricans. Honestly, the rudest people I have encountered are from the states. I won't elaborate on which states but being from the east coast I am often appauled at how those from a neighboring state act when onboard - demanding, rude. I think that if you go with a positive attitude and a great gourp of people you don't sweat the small stuff.Just my opinion:)

Thank you guys for posting! That makes me feel much better. Honestly, it had never crossed my mind that there would be such issues with the locals. So needless to say I was a little shocked when reading the reviews! We want to go early and stay a few days in San Juan as well. I think its about "attitude" as well. I'm sure we will have a blast! Thanks for the responses! :)

Thank you guys for posting! That makes me feel much better. Honestly, it had never crossed my mind that there would be such issues with the locals. So needless to say I was a little shocked when reading the reviews! We want to go early and stay a few days in San Juan as well. I think its about "attitude" as well. I'm sure we will have a blast! Thanks for the responses! :)

SunKissedBunny, We stayed at the Conrad Condado the night before the cruise. Check out their website- we paid $236 for the night. It is right on the beach and has 2 pools, one with a swim up bar. Plus, they have a nice beach. Great location to walk to stores for soda and water for the cruise and great restaurants. Varita is at the hotel, reasonable and great puerto rican food. Enjoy and ask any questions you want.

There are constantly posts about the "locals" out of San Juan. We have cruised out of there for 8 years and our group of 21 adults have NEVER experienced what we have read on MANY MANY threads. We stay in San Juan precruise and meet many nice Puertoricans. Honestly, the rudest people I have encountered are from the states. I won't elaborate on which states but being from the east coast I am often appauled at how those from a neighboring state act when onboard - demanding, rude. I think that if you go with a positive attitude and a great gourp of people you don't sweat the small stuff.Just my opinion:)

I have read those kind of garbage posts not just on CC but on other boards. I can tell you that Puertorican people are by and large lovely and generous. It is a safe, friendly island with lots to do. I did not see it all in months, let alone in a 2 or 3 day pre-cruise trip. It is because of how comfortable I felt living in PR as a single woman (at the time) and of the wonderful time my now DH's wedding proposal trip to PR was that convinced us we will be retiring there, God willing.

Luke gs Daddy glad to hear that you decided 'yes' to a cruise out of San Juan. Happy planning!

We are thinking of doing a Cruise from San Juan. I have put a little effort in researching from the boards, however I was wanting some opinions and experiences from cruisers who have sailed from SJ ?

Thanks and have a great day.

Have sailed from SJ and it was great, :) but DH will not fly anymore. So unless they build a bridge we won't be doing so again. :( I would reccomend it though.

Luv's Crusin'

Have sailed from SJ and it was great' date=' :) but DH will not fly anymore. So unless they build a bridge we won't be doing so again. :( I would reccomend it though.

Luv's Crusin'[/quote']

Hopefully you are lucky enough to live near a cruise port that sails to SJ. It is a wonderful island.

My Fun Group have sailed from San Juan twice and we didn't experience any rudeness or bad behavior.

Has anyone sailed the Victory in May?

If you did, how was the weather?

I've done the southern Caribbean itinerary from San Juan four times and two of those times we cruised in May. May is my favorite time to cruise. Weather was perfect. This itinerary has been my favorite. I just love having a different port each day and no sea days. I didn't find it too much or too hectic. For me it was perfect and quite relaxing. I did this cruise with my 72 year old mother and she loved the itinerary too and says she wants to do it again and I certainly plan on doing this one again as well.

We are thinking of doing a Cruise from San Juan. I have put a little effort in researching from the boards, however I was wanting some opinions and experiences from cruisers who have sailed from SJ ?

Thanks and have a great day.

I think San Juan is one of the best ports to cruise from. The ships depart very late, so you can fly in the same day, except if you are flying in from an area with snow storms. If you do a pre cruise, there is the El Yunque Rainforest Tour, City and Barcardi Rum Distillery Tour. The areas around the Condado hotels are good for walking around. The Police presence is huge in those areas. If you can afford it, stay at the Sheraton hotel across from the port.

I've done the southern Caribbean itinerary from San Juan four times and two of those times we cruised in May. May is my favorite time to cruise. Weather was perfect. This itinerary has been my favorite. I just love having a different port each day and no sea days. I didn't find it too much or too hectic. For me it was perfect and quite relaxing. I did this cruise with my 72 year old mother and she loved the itinerary too and says she wants to do it again and I certainly plan on doing this one again as well.

Thank you for the insight regarding the weather.

Which port(s) don't have any MUST SEE excursions where you can just take a taxi to the beach and do your own thing?

Thank you for the insight regarding the weather.

Which port(s) don't have any MUST SEE excursions where you can just take a taxi to the beach and do your own thing?

Our first cruise from San Juan, we were there in May, 2004 and it rained just before landing and cats and dogs on embarkation afternoon.

If you're in the Condado area, you can just walk to the beach.

Archived