good- inexpensive places to eat near forum etc

Weroff2rome

I know that if you are near an attraction it is going to be expensive to eat. We are leaning towards staying near the Forum, spanish steps etc and was wondering if anyone had any insider secrets of good inexpensive places to dine. Don't need anything fancy just authentic- thanks

If you are near the Forum, there are a lot of inexpensive small restaurants if you just walk up via Cavour. You will find everything from places serving a prix fixe type lunch (3 courses, including glass of wine for about 10-15 euro per person), to less formal establishments (salumeria) that are basically like a deli/sandwich counter with a couple of tables to sit down and eat. Just look around until you find something you like.

Spanish steps area is more "high end" real estate and restaurants are priced accordingly. You can look for a bar, where you can usually get panini or other sandwiches, sometimes pizza. Be aware that eating at the bar is one price but eating at a table (especially an outdoor table) will likely cost more.

One of the most memorable meals I had in almost a month in Italy was a small restaurant back behind the Spanish Steps called something like 'Restaurant Alla Rampa". They had a pasta dish with gorgonzola, pears, and walnuts that I am still drooling about! It was about 8 euros. And we had a dessert that was SO good--gelato in an orange sauce; fairly expensive by US standards but the best thing ever. It sounds simple but it was fantastic.

If you are facing the steps, just walk around to the right and it is down the first street--there are some back stairs that take you to the top of the SS right next to it. It was full of locals the day we were there.

Cathy

We are leaning towards staying near the Forum, spanish steps etc

Not sure if you are staying near the Forum -or- the Spanish Steps. While the historic area of Rome is fairly compact - these two are not exactly "next to each other".

We stayed at Hotel Mozart our first trip - right down the street from the steps. Only had one meal right near there and it was not crazy expensive but not cheap either and only so-so...... but we had just arrived from US and were tired and HUNGRY ! and it was close by.

We stayed at Albergo del Senato our second trip and found all kinds of places to eat near there.......some more $$ - some less. There was a wonderful pizza place behind the Pantheon that we enjoyed alot. Mostly local people.....and many were say college or post grad age...... but our favorite was the DiRienzo in the Piazza della Rotunda overlooking the Pantheon. We sat outside and my favorite meal was a plate of caprese and this bread they had with melted cheese and anchovies on top...... sounds weird but mmmmm good. Topped with a proseco..... oh my I wish I was there right NOW. Filled me up without having a huge entree.

I would not spend alot of time looking for a specific place - no matter how good people say it is........ just keep your eyes open and look for locals. They always know the good cheap places to eat !

Archived