Budget Queen

Floridamom

My family of four (two boys now 11/17) went to Alaska 2 summers ago on HAL. Did a Vancouver roundtrip and loved it more than we ever imagined. Didn't really know what we were doing but ended up doing Larry's Whale watching in Juneau/plus a glacier landing. In Skagway our dog sledding was cancelled. In Ketchikan we flew with Island Wings to the bear preserve and watched bears 15 feet away grabbing salmon. A lot of my choices went by your top 5 or 10 list you used to post. I've been away from the Alaska boards for almost two years, but have decided we want to go back and experience more. We also want to go dog sledding. I now understand what you meant about choosing a ship by port time. I have been looking at that and therfore do not like the Seattle roundtrips, as the ports are short. As we cruised north and the weather got colder we liked it better so I am thinking of doing a one way north, with 3 or 4 days in a car afterwards. We loved Glacier Bay and would like to do that again also. I can figure out what I want to do in Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, but once we head north, and once we rent a car....what are the must see/must do excursions. Cost isn't an object..I just want the most enjoyable. I never thought watching the bears could be so exciting until we did it. Flying in the float plane, landing in the water, singing up the trails and then there was one bear about 7 feet away from us looking us up and down. Boy was my heart pounding. I will never forget that trip for the rest of my life. I understand how Alaska gets under your skin. There is so much to see. Now I know why you have made so many trips. Looking forward to your advice, and thanks in advance.

Glad to see there is another Alaska convert!!!!!!!!!! :) I would strongly encourage you to consider adding another week for interior touring. You just can not do much in 3-4 days, and certainly not my top picks. :) As a suggestion and "basic" plan- consider- a ship going to Seward- with Hal my top pick. Overnight there and take the train to Anchorage the next pm- go on a Kenai fjords boat tour of at least 6 hours. Book a hotel with rail depot and airport shuttles- I have used the Ramadas. Day 3 pick up rental car drive to Denali Park, day 4 tour via shuttle to Fish Creek, overnight. Day 5 drive to Talkeetna overnight- flightsee McKinley. Day 6- head toward Anchorage or side track to Independence Mine- Glacier treking with MICA guides, stop along the way Wasilla Sled dog museum, Eklutna Spirit houses, Eagle River nature center. Day 7 tour Anchorage and or some of the above. HOME.

Budget Queen,

Skipping threads here. Do you think we should do the train to Seward from Anchorage or rent a van, which is better sightseeing? I had read, car was nicer? What is your opinion? Will we need a van in Anchorage for sightseeing? Also I never read ideas for Anchorage. Did order travel guide you suggested. Want to do something memorable. Will we need a van in Seward, if we do the Kenai Fjords most of that day? Then board our cruise ship. Would there be time for 6 hr tour plus wheel dogs (if majority wants this also).

Glad to read the above, looks like we did good picking a cruise from Seward to Vacouver, wanted to see more than on round trip cruises. Which I believe going farther North gives you. Using flying miles, it took the same as round trip flight 25,000, so no problem there. We thought starting with land tour was easier than ending with one, wouldn't be as tired. Plus ship itinerary was a little better going north, not sure why. We only have after arrival on first day (4:00) and 2nd day for Anchorage, then boarding day to spend in Seward, maybe that was a mistake, but low on vacation time. I see you always recommmand 6 hr tour of Kenai fjords, what are your reasons, shorter tour not as good? Read some saying you can see most of Kenai when cruising out, is that true?

Where is the best port to see bears? Lots of questions, thanks in advance.

The rail Anchorage - Seward is superior for scenery and you will have a hard time finding a one way van rental. Only rental car agency in Seward is Hertz. Their cars run about $200/day If you take the train the day of your sailing, you can get on Kenai Fjords 11:30am boat tour. They will store your bags. They get back about 5:30pm, plenty of time to get on your ship. Short cab ride away. Any shorter doesn't get you out of the bay, this trip is significant for close up glacier viewing and VARIED close up wildlife. Don't consider any less than the 6 hour trips.

As for Anchorage- yes in my opinion you need a car, unless you are just interested in the downtown area. The visitor guide has a nice walking tour map included, this could take up your touring time- IF you haven't been there before. If I am reading you right?? You are only coming in 2 days before cruising?? With that short time and an interest in the downtown area my recommendation would be to see that and skip the car. Overnight downtown Anchorage, then train to Seward the next am. As for Seward- split up the group- if some want Seavey's go there, others take the boat tour. No time for both arriving and departing the same day :( As for your reading of seeing the Kenai from the cruise ship- doubtful- you are sailing at night and certainly you aren't going to have the wildlife opportunities.

For bears- if going late July or later- Ketchikan has good black bear fly ins. Juneau has fly in to Admirality Island- costly be sure you get the bear viewing permits- Alaska Fly N Fish is one operator. The best bargain bear viewing is Denali Park- allow more days (7) interior NEXT trip. :)

I should of added we are going the 1st of June. So bears are not to plentiful then?

Not wanting to shop, if that's what you do downtown. Would have a whole day to do something exciting.

I'm sure now we will do the 6 hr. tour. Glad they keep the luggage.

In Swagway, have you done the following: train, train/bus or driven to Emerald Lake?

I am glad you help out all of us first timers.

Only bear viewing opportunity on the Inside Passage will be Pack Creek with Alaska Fly N Fish, expect $400+++ per person. http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/viewing/packck.cfm

No there are many other options than down town shopping, in the downtown areas. Request their visitor guides. Yes I have taken both the round trip White Pass RR and driven the Klondike Highway. Certainly both very worthwhile. To consider the train- the priority is for history, superior scenery and engineering. It is not the same as the Klondike Highway- no matter how many times it is posted. :) The drive certainly gets you farther and if the Yukon is a priority this is the way. Be certain to print out Murray's log screen name Yukon.

Archived