Do these ships sail along the Amalfi coast or just into port?

cwuer

This may sound goofy (and perhaps it is!) But what I am wondering is IF the Azamara ships actually sail Along the Amalfi coast allowing you to take in miles of beautiful scenery, or do they simply sail into port, then back out to sea with minimal time having sight of the coast? Since we are only in port from 7a-5p I am trying to decide if I can forfeit the drive along the Amalfi coast in place of Capri, but not miss out on the scenery if we will be sailing down the coast after we get back on ship. Anyone taken this cruise that can comment on this. Thanks so much.

Well I was hoping someone else would answer this question because I have not actually been on an Azamara cruise in this region. We were on a Celebrity cruise that docked in Naples - what I remember is that as we departed Naples we had a very nice view of Capri - the famous Fargoli rock formation. But I think for the most parts the ships are quite a ways out from the land - of course A ships are much smaller than Celebrity ones. Where do you dock? But if you go to Capri or do an Amalfi drive, either one will be a pleasant experience.

Do you stop in Sorrento or Amalfi?

We were in the port of Sorrento on Quest, and had some nice views of the coast there while at anchor and when leaving (southbound), but not of the Amalfi Coast which runs from Sorrento to Salerno (and along which the towns of Amalfi, Positano and Ravello are.)

If your cruise takes you to the port of Amalfi, you'll probably see some great views of the coast ... not sure that the ship will follow the coast, but just going in and out should be very scenic.

Thank you so much for all the replies. We dock at Sorrento, and our next stop is Taormina, Sicily. From looking at a Map, it looks like we should just sail right down the coast, but you can never tell what the ship might do. I was just hoping someone had done the same itinerary, but it would have helped if I had posted the itinerary!

Archived