Cartagena...if I had to choose?

aharris0614

If you got to choose between touring the fort and touring the monastery (La Popa) which would it be?

I'm thinking I may just forgoe the monastery since I also want to tour (more than just a photo stop) at the fort. Be we also want to do the walking tour of Cartagena and possibly even St. Peter. Most of the guided tours include LaPopa - is it worth the extra time spent there? Should we do both?

On our tour we did both. The views from La Poppa are not to be missed. We also enjoyed the fort but it was a lot of uphill ramps in the heat and humidity. I would try and do both. We did spend a lot more time at the fort than La Poppa.

When we visited Cartagena we visited the old city only, not la Popa. The old city is amazing architecture and a place in which to be immersed. It is sufficiently large so as to spend the entire time exploring all the streets and buildings.

But a view is simply that: a view. You look at it. Uh-huh. That's it. There's plenty of tall buildings in my home town, and I go up and I look at the view. I go hiking in a park, go to the top of a mountain and look around. Uh-huh. Then I climb back down. (Now the monastery itself might be something worthwhile, but that's different from going up there just for the view.)

My vote is for the city.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you like forts, this is the one to see. We did the Deluxe Fortress and City Tour with Celebrity and we were very pleased we did. Many of the tours which visit the fort do so only for a photo stop, but my husband loves fortresses and this one is huge. Our tour at the fort was about 40 min. We also visited Las Bovedas, which used to be the dungeons, but is now a handicraft mall, the Inquisition Palace, which still houses instruments of torture, San Pedro de Claver, a church in the Old City, and had a stop for a beverage and some entertainment as well. We also stopped briefly for some shopping at Pierino Gallo shopping mall.

We did both but if I had choose only one then it would be the fortress for certain and with that I would want to do the old walled city. I would also advise you to read up on the history of Cartagena before going, I had no idea how important it was in history of Spanish empire.

Doing a 4 hour standard city tour, then will go back and see the fort on our own. Seemed easier that way.

Since we are in port 10-10 (next Wednesday! :D), plenty of time to see both and probably still time to wander in the city again.

Thanks.

Archived