Never Again Out of Galveston!!

Fog can be a problem in Galveston. If you sail on the Voyager, you just have to be prepared for it.

Galveston works best for those living in Texas that can drive to the port. If your arrival is delayed by fog, no big deal when you're driving a relatively short distance to home.

We sailed on Voyager in January. Arrived at the port at 11:00, parked across the street, were in the terminal when the doors opened at 11:30, processed and on the ship by noon.

But boarding was a nightmare for those arriving early afternoon. We heard lots of complaints.

Dave

Sorry you didn't enjoy Galveston... I cannot speak for the port, but I can speak for the island... she is a special place and I am sorry you didn't really give her a chance. You cannot really feel her vibe by driving thru the "morning after" a major celebration. :eek: The locals are all sleeping it off. If you were at the pier by noon there is no way you saw the Strand, the Seawall etc. (with people).

Shout out to my Yaga peeps!!!!! :cool:

What can we expect this weekend? It's the 3rd week in March - and I am about to pack for a week on the Voyager - how chilly will we be? Is fog still a problem at this time of year?

Thanks for any replies from you Galveston natives.

What can we expect this weekend? It's the 3rd week in March - and I am about to pack for a week on the Voyager - how chilly will we be? Is fog still a problem at this time of year?

Thanks for any replies from you Galveston natives.

A bit chilly. Bring a jacket, and maybe a brolly if you sail Saturday.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/weekend/USTX0499

I was on the Feb 28 cruise out of Galveston aboard the Voyager with some friends. It was our second cruise aboard the Voyager out of Galveston. We did not have any problems boarding. We got there at around noon and it took us about 45 minutes to get on board from the time it took us to get in line (after dropping off the wives and parking the car). We waited mainly in 2 lines, one to get through security, and one to get our passes. Both were constantly moving and we were on board before we knew it.

Disembarking was faster than our last cruise. In fact, we were amazed at how fast we got from our waiting area to our car. One thing that we immediately noticed is that the terminal officers this year were nice, some were even friendly!

We had a great experience out of Galveston!

To be fair, we did hear some people complaining at lunch about how it took them 2 hours to board and how horrible the process was. In fact, one of the couples that took 2 hours to board, arrived an hour before we got there. So I guess they didn't start letting people board until about the time we arrived! I guess its like playing the slots...timing timing timing! Ya know, come to think of it, they were Super Kung Fu VIP Diamond ++ members and their line was moving a bit slower than the general admission line for some reason. *shrug*

What I think it comes down to was mindset. Im sure that those people would have been as equally pissed if they had to wait 45 minutes to board. Us? We were just happy to go on vacation! We would have waited several hours and be just as happy (as long as there was a bathroom nearby). :P

What I think it comes down to was mindset. Im sure that those people would have been as equally pissed if they had to wait 45 minutes to board. Us? We were just happy to go on vacation! We would have waited several hours and be just as happy (as long as there was a bathroom nearby). :P

ITA! I'm not worried about Galveston: my family spent 5 hours standing in line waiting to board the Liberty in January out of Ft. Lauderdale. Yes, that was bad ... but our moods were still elated once we found ourselves on board. It was our big HOLIDAY CRUISE, after all!

To be fair, we did hear some people complaining at lunch about how it took them 2 hours to board and how horrible the process was.

:P

You would think these Diamond plusers would know that boarding isn't officially started until 2:00 P.M. Actually! We always arrive around 12:00, boarding takes around 30 to 45 minutes and by the time we get our pictures, the rooms are ready. Unless there is fog as there was Feb. 21st for us this time out. We made an adventure out of it though, I posted my fog pics back a ways....you've got the picture ikirumata, it's all about the mind set! Don't worry...Be happy!:p

First time leaving out of Galveston coming up in a week. Can't wait!!

We've waited three hours and we've waited 30 minutes at other ports. But we couldn't care less - either way. We're on vacation, going on a cruise and the cell phone/e-mail is off. Complain if you want, but we're going to have a good time no matter what. :cool:

My DH and I live outside Houston so we have cruised out of Galveston. Only two times have we had a problem with disembarking. The first time we were on the VOS first transatlantic to Galveston. Wonderful cruise, but I don't think Galveston was prepared for 6,000+ passengers disembarking at the same time. A little hectic but we made it. Second time was our New Years family cruise 2008/2009. We were delayed by fog and didn't dock until about 2:00 in the afternoon. People embarking were there early with no place to park because our cars were still there. Those passengers were very disgruntled, but we were fine. EZ parking has small shuttle busses so DH, SIL, and both sons just walked over to get the cars. We were crossing the causeway at 5:30. I don't think any terminal is perfect (we had trouble in Bayonne), but we always make the best of it. Weather is unpredictable so just go with the flow. We love Galveston and will continue to sail from there.

"Attitude is the difference between ordeal and adventure" :D

There are good and bad experiences everywhere!

And adventure is not knowing where you are going and still having fun. An ordeal is knowing where you are going, but you still can't get there.

We had a great cruise out of Galveston on the Voyager - We left our hotel (Quality Inn) at 11:00 as that was a late as we could stay - and were aboard....well see attached photo (hope I do this right)....if it works,the clock above the girls' heads should say 11:30....if it doesn't, trust me the clock above the girls' heads says 11:30!!

Anyway, it was fast, fun and efficient - moral of the story - get there early! And sadly, the cruise was very fast and also very fun - time flies.....etc. etc. etc.

Next up - Serenade!!

1157308606_26846_405887340990_576490990_5464811_5704737_s1.jpg.d4cdf8257f29f560936bc214ee54ad6f.jpg

As with any cruise, boarding might be delayed for a number of reasons. Fortunately, the terminal is a short walk to the Strand.

Instead of sitting and fretting in the terminal, take a stroll thru the shops and an art gallery or two. Stop for lunch or some ice cream. It's a nice town. Just chill out for a while.:)

http://www.galveston.com/downtowntour/

Archived