Shipboard Dress - Changing Times??

ccxnola

Who is getting mad....I was simply giving my opinion, adding to the chit chat with a different opinion that what had been given. I by no means intended to be seen as getting all worked up about it.

It read slightly aggressive but pardon me if you are not :)

I'll wear what i want to wear, and when I want to wear it. I could give two hoots what others think or say about it. When did we as a society become so caught up in what everyone else is doing? The world would be a lot better off if people stopped worrying about anyone but themselves.

With that said, I will follow the rules when it comes to being dressed while on board. But if that means I'm wearing and old tattered pair of jeans, or shorts in appropriate locations and time while on board, then so be it. Is it anyones place to tell me how I want to be comfortable? I don't go around looking at all the people who are wearing "proper" clothes and ridicule them for it.

I don't have a flame suit, because i really don't care if I get flamed or not. Some people just need to lighten up, enjoy their cruise, and leave others to enjoy theirs, no matter what they are wearing, or not wearing!

There is a great quote, "you wouldn't worry so much about what people thought of you if you realized how seldom they did". In other words, I really don't believe anyone on a cruise is paying much attention to the way others are dressed. They are much too caught up with their own families and their own activities. I believe it is more of a discussion item than anything else. I also think it is hard for people that will, in all circumstances abide by a requested dress, to understand how someone can feel comfortable blatantly ignoring it. It is intriguing.

I have no idea how old you are or if you have children but your point of view is exactly what I am actively working to avoid in my sons, age 20 and 16. I promise you that I don't care what you wear! I just would be devastated if either of my sons had this attitude.

For us parents, it does generate some interesting conversations when our kids question why they have to dress a certain way and others do not. A great opportunity for a life lesson!

You are correct that many folks dress down; however, this is really NOT just a commentary of cruising dress. I observe many dressed in the manner you just described at the local mid-scale chain restaurant (think Olive Garden) on a Saturday evening.

To me, the definition of casual wear (slacks and a top, simple dress) seems much different than other’s version of casual wear (shorts and a T). It is not generational as I see many my age, 50+ (or older) dressed in this casual manner. Folks are wearing the type of clothes to dinner that I would wear to wash the car.

I’m not sure how this casual atmosphere came about, but I doubt it will change any time soon. I am still shocked when I read comments like, “my husband does not own a sport jacket”.

The wording “Casual Dress” has been the standard cruise lingo for the past 25 years I have cruised. The difference is the wording has remained the same, but to many, the definition has changed. Further the cruise line is all about the bottom line and customer satisfaction and not offending anyone because they are wearing a torn or dirty shirt to dinner. Seems amazing that there are folks out there that think a dirty shirt or a sport cap is acceptable to wear at a meal. (yes I know, it is their vacation so they can wear what they please !).

Years ago, there were different standards. You came on the ship, dressed for dinner in the dining room or you had to perhaps grab a cold sandwich in the SMALL casual buffet.

Could be that mass market travel and cruising has become so inexpensive that there is clearly a different clientele that cruise today. Take a look at the upscale lines. You will rarely see a discussion of dress or asking about taking away 1/7 of the tip to compensate for the one evening they did not eat in the dining room.

Like I said – it is not just a cruise line situation but many in society seem to have lowered or lost standards.

M

There is a great quote, "you wouldn't worry so much about what people thought of you if you realized how seldom they did". In other words, I really don't believe anyone on a cruise is paying much attention to the way others are dressed. They are much too caught up with their own families and their own activities. I believe it is more of a discussion item than anything else. I also think it is hard for people that will, in all circumstances abide by a requested dress, to understand how someone can feel comfortable blatantly ignoring it. It is intriguing.

I have no idea how old you are or if you have children but your point of view is exactly what I am actively working to avoid in my sons, age 20 and 16. I promise you that I don't care what you wear! I just would be devastated if either of my sons had this attitude.

For us parents, it does generate some interesting conversations when our kids question why they have to dress a certain way and others do not. A great opportunity for a life lesson!

I'm 28, and i have no kids, nor will I. I just personally believe that people care too much about other people. The less you worry about others, the less drama, misinterpretations etc there will be, making the world a much happier place!

I'm 28, and i have no kids, nor will I. I just personally believe that people care too much about other people. The less you worry about others, the less drama, misinterpretations etc there will be, making the world a much happier place!

I believe what you say but you do have to remember that people make judgements on appearance, whether they admit it or not. Not that it means negative, people just tend to assign others to a "type" because of appearance.

Fortunately I'm old enough to understand you have to get to know a person and not their clothing before deciding on their character. I've met plenty of tatooed, pierced, torn jeans etc...people who are wonderful and on the flip side, nicely dressed people who I wish I could have told them what I really think about them (being not nice and very rude to me). But many people do not realize this, young or old, they just make snap judgements based on your first appearance. So, why not put your best foot forward???

I happen to work in a mall and I have to disagree that many people are sloppy and lazy about dressing. Perhaps it's regional, but I see the majority of people walking in the mall dressed nicely, even when they have jeans on. I have a lot of faith in our younger generation and while many may have that "reality TV" mentality and dress code, many more are upstanding citizens who care what others think about them.

So, for me, moreso than clothing (although I do take notice) is a persons face, whether it is smiling or not. And teeth, I just cannot tolerate poor dental hygiene. You can have on sloppy clothes if you wish, but a nasty looking face and obviously not flossing for months or years....I'm not going to want to even meet that person! Edit to add, this means dirty teeth, not crooked!

Cruisegirl1, excellent points. We live near a large city and there are still occasions and locations where a certain standard of dress is expected and in some cases required. For me, teaching my kids how to dress for different situations is important and necessary. I would imagine for others located in other areas of the country, not so much.

There is evidence to suggest that our clothes make a difference in how other people treat us and what assumptions they make about us. Behavioral scientists say that we create our first impressions about people in the first 30 seconds and those first impressions could take as long as 5 years to erase. I think the kids that understand this will have an advantage in today's world. This really isn't a question of right or wrong but more an issue of psychology.

I would imagine on a cruise ship since we are relatively anonymous, people simply believe that it doesn't matter since it is unlikely that they will ever see the other passengers again. I sometimes wonder if bad service and level of dress are related. I don't know that it is and I am not suggesting that it is right or justified but I do wonder.

You might not care what other people think about you but remember those people might end up being your future boss, spouse or mother in law!

You are correct that many folks dress down; however, this is really NOT just a commentary of cruising dress. I observe many dressed in the manner you just described at the local mid-scale chain restaurant (think Olive Garden) on a Saturday evening.

To me, the definition of casual wear (slacks and a top, simple dress) seems much different than other’s version of casual wear (shorts and a T). It is not generational as I see many my age, 50+ (or older) dressed in this casual manner. Folks are wearing the type of clothes to dinner that I would wear to wash the car.

I’m not sure how this casual atmosphere came about, but I doubt it will change any time soon. I am still shocked when I read comments like, “my husband does not own a sport jacket”.

The wording “Casual Dress” has been the standard cruise lingo for the past 25 years I have cruised. The difference is the wording has remained the same, but to many, the definition has changed. Further the cruise line is all about the bottom line and customer satisfaction and not offending anyone because they are wearing a torn or dirty shirt to dinner. Seems amazing that there are folks out there that think a dirty shirt or a sport cap is acceptable to wear at a meal. (yes I know, it is their vacation so they can wear what they please !).

Years ago, there were different standards. You came on the ship, dressed for dinner in the dining room or you had to perhaps grab a cold sandwich in the SMALL casual buffet.

Could be that mass market travel and cruising has become so inexpensive that there is clearly a different clientele that cruise today. Take a look at the upscale lines. You will rarely see a discussion of dress or asking about taking away 1/7 of the tip to compensate for the one evening they did not eat in the dining room.

Like I said – it is not just a cruise line situation but many in society seem to have lowered or lost standards.

M

Sometimes it isn't about standards but it is about economic times. This recession has affected everyone including the clientele that are used to more of an upscale experience. Sure a cruiseline can give you guidelines but the only ones we have truly seen enforced are for the windjammer...you can't go in there with no shirt and ladies can't go in with swimsuit..you need a coverup. Dining room in the evening shows all types of clothing on all nights. I don't get in an uproar about what my tablemates are wearing. We are all here to enjoy our vacation time. The luggage fees are the culprit here. With most airlines you are looking at almost a hundred dollars EACH way......so we prefer to keep a loyalty with an airline so we don't have the fees for a few pieces of luggage...but the suiter is going to be on last legs here shortly. I have other clothes I need to have with me other than one formal outfit to rotate two or three evenings and then hurry back to change out of for other evening activities so they don't get smoky.

Everyone enjoy your vacations where they are at home, landbased or on a ship....We are all lucky to have each other and to enjoy precious time together.

It's not cruising, it's society in general. We have become more casual in everything from the way we interact in business and school to dressing and behaving. I glam up on cruises, well, I tend to glam it up everywhere and stick out like a sore thumb around friends, but definitely on cruises. I guess I have a romantic ideal of cruising.

At soon to be 40 years old, it disapoints me when I see my friends dress in the same styles as their preteen daughters. Come on...30-40 somethings really do not need to be wearing hip hugger jeans and tank tops/T-shirts and flip flops, but that is what's acceptable these days...guess those of us that enjoy proper attire will have to start a grass roots campaign to get people take pride in their appearance.

Archived