Talk me into it: Taking non-ship sponsored excursions

Eurocruiser2010

Just another note for private tours. In Europe, we took trains to Monte Carlo, Florence and Rome and a hydrofoil to Capri. The trains went directly to the center of the city. The buses had to leave people off many blocks from town center because the narrow roads don't handle buses. The hydrofoil we took to Capri had the ship's tour lined up waiting to get onboard as we arrived. They let us board first and then filed the tour in last. One other negative to the bus tours - you're spending all of your sailing time with these same people, don't you want to be a bit more by yourselves for the excursion?

if you are travelling to egypt you need to bear in mind that the journey from port to cairo is 3 hours both ways (not much of a problem if in cairo overnight) and vehicles travel in protected convoy. you will need to check if your private operator supplies a vehicle with wc facilities and aircon as the convoy can not and will not stop until it clears the 'desert run'.

From reading these boards re: Egypt for a year, I know there used to be convoys, but not anymore. I took a private tour and so did many others on my roll call and no one was in a convoy - nor was it necessary. We stopped at a lovely and clean rest stop where my 5 year olds played in a the playground, we bought some food and used the facilities.

As a woman alone with twin toddlers, I started out thinking the only way to see Egypt would be on a ship tour. After reading all the info here from those who had been there, I decided on a tour with a group from my roll call, and then finally decided to just go with my little family so we could have our own kid friendly itinerary. It was wonderful, and though it cost less than half what the ship tour cost, I would have paid twice as much to be able to go at our own pace, do what we want for how long we want and choose exactly what we wanted to see. It was wonderful to be able to email back and forth with my tour guide in the months ahead and create a perfect itinerary - and then be able to adjust it as we went. On arrival, we felt like VIPs as we were met with a name sign, led to our van, and on the road while the busses were still loading. We beat all the busses to the sights each day (we did the overnight), so also had a better experience in that regard. I never felt unsafe for a moment and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again - in fact we plan to.

Best,

Mia

You have to realise that not only do lots of folk take private tours, many actually do it on their own ie take trains, buses, shuttles or taxi.

That, obviously, takes alot of planning. Or rather for us it does as there were many folk who got off the ship in Civitavecchia (Rome) and had absolutely no idea how to get to Rome.

If you're a worrier like I am just make sure you don't leave it till the last minute for embarkation.

I think all of the sponsored tours I have taken have been for snorkeling. Usually for boat entry. I've enjoyed them all and I didn't feel like a cow even on busy tours. We did cave tubing in Belize on our own (twice) because of the recommendations of CC.

The accident this week illustrates the risk you're accepting, on your own or with a ships tour. On your own you'd get little or no support from the cruise line. At least with a ships tour you have some support to get you through the difficulties.

Now we're on our way to Hawaii - and I'm trying to figure out the best way to go. It seems that many tour companies won't pick you up at the port - you have to make your way to them - that sure adds to the overall cost and makes it less "fun". So, convenience, cost, safety, it all factors in.

Vic

So far, I've only taken one ship's tour, compared with 4 private tours, and 3 taxis to a single destination. For my upcoming cruise, I'm planning on 4 more private and one unguided.

The ships tour I took was to Lamanai in Belize. It required taking a bus for an hour or so, then a speedboat for another longish time, a tour of Lamanai, and then the same in reverse. Because there were so many "failure points", and we were heading deep into Belize, and it was going to take all day, I didn't think the risk was warranted. It was an excellent tour, but we did end up on the last tender back, which they were holding for us. It was a largish crowd, and you couldn't hear as well as I'd have liked because the bus's PA wasn't very good, but for a "destination" based tour, it worked fine.

The private tours we took in Jamaica and Roatan, and the private cooking class in Cozumel were amazing events that me and the whole family will always remember. The biggest difference is that you're REALLY interacting with natives, and see a more realistic view of their country than you would through a tour bus with 100 other Americans and Canadians. Even though they were half the price of similar offerings through the ship, they would have been worth double the cost.

On the other hand, the private tour we took in Grand Cayman was only so-so. The boat was crowded, the guides impersonal. It was still much less hectic than the ship's tour a and overall a good tour, but it wasn't magical like the others. But then again, it was really just a trip out to the sandbar, so there were not that many opportunities to really make a difference. And it was still a lot cheaper than the ship.

So, private tours all the way in my opinion.

So far, I've only taken one ship's tour, compared with 4 private tours, and 3 taxis to a single destination. For my upcoming cruise, I'm planning on 4 more private and one unguided.

The ships tour I took was to Lamanai in Belize. It required taking a bus for an hour or so, then a speedboat for another longish time, a tour of Lamanai, and then the same in reverse. Because there were so many "failure points", and we were heading deep into Belize, and it was going to take all day, I didn't think the risk was warranted. It was an excellent tour, but we did end up on the last tender back, which they were holding for us. It was a largish crowd, and you couldn't hear as well as I'd have liked because the bus's PA wasn't very good, but for a "destination" based tour, it worked fine.

The private tours we took in Jamaica and Roatan, and the private cooking class in Cozumel were amazing events that me and the whole family will always remember. The biggest difference is that you're REALLY interacting with natives, and see a more realistic view of their country than you would through a tour bus with 100 other Americans and Canadians. Even though they were half the price of similar offerings through the ship, they would have been worth double the cost.

On the other hand, the private tour we took in Grand Cayman was only so-so. The boat was crowded, the guides impersonal. It was still much less hectic than the ship's tour a and overall a good tour, but it wasn't magical like the others. But then again, it was really just a trip out to the sandbar, so there were not that many opportunities to really make a difference. And it was still a lot cheaper than the ship.

So, private tours all the way in my opinion.

We also took the ships tour for this excursion due to the logistics and long day - it was great. I think you should never say never to any type of excursion - whether the ships, private, or diy - it should depend on where you are going, what you are doing, and your comfort level. The goal is to have a great time, no matter how you go about it.

This isn't entirely accurate. We just did a private shore excursion a few weeks ago from Alexandria to Cairo (an overnight in Cairo) and the private vans did not travel in any sort of convoy. Also, our driver offered us the opportunity to stop and use a restroom along the way. (We all declined, having heard the horror stories about public restrooms in Egypt. There were four of us, and none of us could think of any other three hour drive we'd taken when we hadn't stopped at least once to pee! :))

We did an independent tour from Alex to Cairo in April 2008 and stopped at a wonderful rest area. Clean restrooms, nice landscaping and no worries whatsover.

Some passengers, without doing any planning, will just get off the ship and look for a taxi driver to "take them around." Generally speaking, the taxis allowed inside the port area will be safe. You might or might not get a real look at the port city/countryside, and you might or might not get a good price. But I would not do it unless I really didn't want to walk as far as a bus etc, or except in a place that has 5 ships a day and the taxi drivers are licensed and know to get you back etc. However, getting a taxi driver outside the port might be risky, especially if language problems are involved. Know your limitations.

Undoubtedly you will get more from any tour if you have researched ahead of time to know WHICH tour (meaning which area of the port city and what activities are involved) you want to take. Compare apples to apples with the ship's comparable tour.

In Hawaii I could not find an apples to apples comparison, only apples to oranges, so did not book privately. Actually, I finally figured out that renting a car would allow me to see the same things available on 3 tours and more, for about the price of one ship's tour (and no crowds, either). But I had to buy some books that told me what to look for in those areas the 3 tours went to.

If you don't WANT to do research, then by all means take a ship's tour and take your chances. They aren't all that bad, and you may meet some fellow passengers you like. The drawback is the meeting way ahead of time, walking to the bus, waiting for the stragglers (at every single stop, and this takes lots of time).

My first cruise we did all ship's tours. 2nd cruise NONE. I do book them occasionally if it just seems a better tour than I can find by searching on line etc.

Know ahead of time what kind of vehicle (boats too) will be used, whether it is air conditioned or open air (makes a difference when it's very hot, or raining!), how much walking/climbing is involved if you have any limitations whatsoever. Be realistic. But do ask questions so you will not be disappointed in what is offered.

OP.I'm going to post my point of view on this topic for what it's worth. It may not be what you were looking for so if not, just skip my post and go to the next one.. hehehehe..

I believe it is ok to do both, ship excursions and private tours. We have had some wonderful ship excursions and some VERY bad ones. Same is true for the private excursions we have taken. To me there are to factors that are the key AND help us determine which way we go.

1. Read read read every thing you can find on the ships excursion. Notice what folks say about it. NCL.com is also a good resource for reviews on there excursions as there are folks like you and me who post reviews there on their website. And they don't just leave up the good reviews. I have posted several negative ones and they are still there. As someone else suggested, avoid those excursions where you are crammed on a tiny bus. I HATE those and will avoid those at all cost, private or cruiseline either one.

2. As someone else stated: How comfortable are you in the area you are going. I use this example. When we got to Cozumel, we have been there so many times and I speak enough broken Spanish (or texmex being I'm from Texas.. 8-)), that we are comfortable going out on our own or taking a private tour. We are comfortable that if something happens to that tour operator, if we get seperated from the tour, etc, we know our way around the island enough that we could find our way back and we could ask for help , albeit in broken Spanish.. 8-)

I guess I did just think of a third and it is one that Nita hit on, I believe. How much time do you have in port? If it is an itinenary where we are only in port for a few hours say 7 or less, I would be less likely to take a private excursion. This kind of goes along with how comfortable I am with where we are, I guess.

Bottom line is, you can save money by going with private tours and yes there are those that say that is all they have ever used and they never missed the ship, etc. But there are those who just haven't posted on your thread yet that have missed the ship by taking a private tour. Be your own judge and go with what feels comfortable with you.

Archived