St. Kitts is a new island for us!!

12Cruise

St. Kitts is a new island for us!! Woo-hoo, we are so excited!!

We will be there on a Wednesday from 8 am - 5 pm.

What should we see, what should we do? We would love to eat local food...where do the locals eat? We also love uncrowded beaches with chairs, umbrellas and drinks.

Any help you can give us is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

What should we see, what should we do? We would love to eat local food...where do the locals eat? We also love uncrowded beaches with chairs, umbrellas and drinks.

My personal recommendation is to take a tour and then go to a beach. There are a number of very well reported-on local tour operators - just look through this board or you can just take a taxi tour with one of the taxi drivers waiting at the port.

My Opinion on what should be included in a tour of SK:

Caribelle Batik/Romney manor - picturesque ruins of Romney Manor and the lovely gardens of Caribelle Batik plus an opportunity to get some unique souvenirs at the Caribelle Batik shop and watch a demo of how Batik cloth is coloured.

Brimstone Hill - huge restored fort in a spectacular location. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site for good reasons. The fort is interesting and well-restored and the views and photo ops are excellent

Black Rocks - interesting geologic formations

The view from Timothy Hill - fantastic views in either direction from the hilltop.

There are other interesting things to see but the first two listed are especially memorable (in particular Brimstone Hill).

Good Beaches:

South Frigate Bay - a bit of a rocky entry, some snorkeling, beach bars etc

South Friars Bay - decent snorkeling and somce beach bars etc

Cockleshell Bay - lovely views of Nevis, pretty beach. I don't know about snorkeling. I believe there is at least one beach bar

Personally I would recommend South Friars bay or Cockleshell but South Frigate is fine if you don't mind the rocks.

Zeno - thank you so much for the great information. I copied the info. and put it into my Port spreadsheet. We've heard nothing but good info. about St. Kitts for years and we are so excited to finally be able to visit there. Can't wait to see the island and meet her people!

Happy Day!!

We stayed for a week in St. Kitts and can offer the following suggestions.

While we did visit the Batik Factory and the gardens, we did this on way to the rain forest for a hike/walk. If I only had one day in St. Kitts I would head to the beach. Cockleshell Beach is perfect (look for the monkeys running across the road on your way there). This is a large beach/cove that has great snorkeling as well as a good beach bar, Reggae Beach Bar, that has some good food. They also rent beach chairs and umbrellas. Look at their web site as they have their menu as well as some good pictures.

www.reggaebeachbar.com

When you look out towards the water you can see Nevis in the background. Towards your left the beach becomes rocky and then rise up a steep hill. Snorkeling along this area is very good but there is no place to stand as the sea floor has hard coral, sea grass, etc. You will see conch and tons of starfish.

You can search the www.tripadvisor.com forum for more information about this beach.

If you want a great island tour with a real island feel contact Royston at roystontours@hotmail.com

He gave us one of the best tours we have ever had. His van is no frills with all the windows out of it but the tour was second to none. Royston took us all over the island to see all the main attractions plus some I'm sure no other tour saw that day. He also usually provides lunch with his tour. We did not eat that day as we asked to have our tour cut short so the ladies could do more shopping (BOO!!!!). Royston was a great guide and knew a lot about the island. You can't beat the price for the tour you get.

John

Thank you both...your suggestions and information have been copied to my spreadsheet. The Reggae Beach Bar looks lovely and I'm reading about Royston Tours right now - sounds good!

Another question: We are renting a car in Aruba...what do you suggest for St. Kitts? Is it easy for a tourist to rent a car, and drive it around the island? What about the public bus? What is our best mode of transportation?

When we passed through the main town traffic was horrible and there was no apparent parking. I also do not know what we would have done if we wanted to stop as it did not feel very touristy to me. If you are going to spend a few hours on a tour and then spend a few hours on the beach I don't think you have time to have a car. If you decide to go to the beach perhaps your tour operator can drop you off there at no charge.

Another question: We are renting a car in Aruba...what do you suggest for St. Kitts? Is it easy for a tourist to rent a car, and drive it around the island? What about the public bus? What is our best mode of transportation?

There is no puplic transportation on St. Kitts. I'm sure there are some car rentals but I don't think you will see any national names there. They also drive on the wrong side of the car and road there.

John

Actually Avis, Hertz and Thrifty all have car rental locations on St. Kitts. It depends on how you feel about driving yourself around the island. For my money, and with only a few hours to spend in port, I think renting a car would be more of a hassle than it's worth. There are many excellent taxi drivers/tour guides and you'll hit all the "hot" spots. Zeno gave a very good itinerary for a one day stop in St. Kitts. If you decide to rent a car, Avis is about a 5 minute walk from where the ship docks in Port Zante. Do try to get out to Cockleshell, the scenery on the drive out to the SE peninsula is stunning, stop by Lion's if you want more local type food, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

And remember, it's not the "wrong" side of the road to many people - it's the left side of the road.

Before booking anything have a look at the Clay Villa Plantation House and Gardens website - www.clayvilla.com . We had a great visit there and took one of their trips which included the Clay Villa house and gardens and other sites such as Brimstone fort, Romney Manor, Timothy's lookout (stunning views) and Basseterre. The plantation house has been in the owner Bridget's family for generations. She has Arawak indian ancestry and is married to Phil from England. The house experience also includes a museum of indian and other St kitts related historical artefacts. Book direct beforehand on line and it is much cheaper than ship organised tours. Well recommended.:)

Before booking anything have a look at the Clay Villa Plantation House and Gardens website - www.clayvilla.com . We had a great visit there and took one of their trips which included the Clay Villa house and gardens and other sites such as Brimstone fort, Romney Manor, Timothy's lookout (stunning views) and Basseterre. The plantation house has been in the owner Bridget's family for generations. She has Arawak indian ancestry and is married to Phil from England. The house experience also includes a museum of indian and other St kitts related historical artefacts. Book direct beforehand on line and it is much cheaper than ship organised tours. Well recommended.:)

Did you actually book through Clay Villa? Did you use the cabs they mention? If yes, what were the cabs like?

Thank you everyone for your feed back. We'll more than liking rent a taxi cab/driver.

And stkitts4ever, we'll try to take your suggestions...that sounds like a lovely drive. Thnx!

I would not drive around myself. You will miss many things you would otherwise see if you went with a local guide.

The southeast Peninsula should not be missed. It is a must. It is beautiful like the Black Rocks and such. I do have some pictures but I do not know how to load them on Cruise Critic. Javin loves to stop alot to educate the tourists.

I do not know what Zeno gave in his itinerary but I would be curious to know as the Javin trip was life changing.

I do not know what Zeno gave in his itinerary but I would be curious to know as the Javin trip was life changing.

Hi CruisingEasy - could you please tell me how the trip was life changing?

Thnx!! :)

On our last trip to St Kitt's we toured with Royston (and loved it). Royston lets YOU decide what you want to do but will suggest things if you are not familiar with St. Kitt's.

We were there in January and used Thenford Grey. There were about 12 of us from the Golden and all were very pleased with his tour which was a full day and included Fort Brimstone, Romney Manor and several hours at Cockelshell Beach.

Hi CruisingEasy - could you please tell me how the trip was life changing?

Thnx!! :)

Javin as Royston does will do whatever you like. You can cater the tour to what ever your heart desires.

The St Kitts tour and especially the rain forest were very emotional for my wife. The beauty and serenity were just so peaceful. She has a high stress job but being in the rainforest and with Javin made her see things in life a different way. Also, In the town of Cayon where Javin lives is one of the very few places where the river runs through the forest. Like I said I have pictures but have no idea how to send them on Cruise Critic.

With Javin you travel privately. Just you, your partner and him. You go where you want for as long as you want. No rush and the whole day was learning about him and his island. Very fulfilling to the mind and soul. I am not one for being in a can of sardines packed in a vehicle with other people. Not my idea of a comfortable vacation.

Being with Javin who has taken every path in out of the forest and the island made me feel safe and like family. He knew where every rock was and for me that was amazing. We never missed a thing.

Not that this applies to everyone but we are from NJ. I have a beach 30 minutes from my house so I was not in St Kitts or any Caribbean isalnd for the beaches. Sand and Water and I really do not care. Rain forests we do not have in NJ so that was a must for me. I like to be diffrent and go where most people do not. Brimstone Fortress was OK and Romney Manor we opted not to see. A building with flowers is not exciting for me. I will never regret my choices on that island nor will I forget the day.

Do Royston and Thenford go the Black Rocks? What is the quality of the rain forest hikes they do?

I chose Javin because his happiness lies in the fact that you can enjoy his island and leave there taking a piece of St Kitts with you. I wanted the personal touch instead of a taxi/cab/driver. I can get plenty of those when I go to NYC.

CruisingEasy - I can feel your excitement for the island through your words. Isn't it wonderful when one is touch so significantly by others? We've heard nothing but good words about St. Kitts and her people and we are thrilled to be going, your words...make us want to go NOW!! :) Thnx!

CruisingEasy - I can feel your excitement for the island through your words. Isn't it wonderful when one is touch so significantly by others? We've heard nothing but good words about St. Kitts and her people and we are thrilled to be going, your words...make us want to go NOW!! :) Thnx!

Will you contact Javin? Tell him I referred you and there may be something special waiting for you. He owes me one!!!

Email him and see what comes of it. I have a pictures for you of the island but I can only send them from my email in my signature or you can tell me how to load them on here. There are hundreds though and they would flood CC.

I contacted Thenford but he could not offer me the range of scope of what Javin could. Also, Javin is well know in his town so we felt safe which walking around there alone you would not.

Also, Javin is well know in his town so we felt safe which walking around there alone you would not.

How odd - we always felt perfectly safe walking around on our own in St Kitt's. The people are very friendly and helpful.

There is nothing really "odd" about it. We just have different opinions and I was not talking about the city like Basseterre and stuff. I was talking about the towns located around the rainforest. There are many poor rastafarians there who could easily rob you, hurt you and take everything.

I encountered a few but since Javin was well known in his town I had no worries I would be harassed.

CruisingEasy - if I do make contact I will pass along your name. Thnx! ;)

No pressure here. I want you to know that.

I just figured it would not be any harm to shoot him off an email and see what he has to say. You might just take him up on one of his tours.

If you want to see pictures just let me know.

Archived