motorhome from Fairbanks or Anchorage?

WASUP

We are thinking of doing a motorhome tour on our own and then the cruise. We are thinking of starting in Faribanks and working our way south to Anchorage. Has anyone done this? We thought if we left from Anchorage, we woud have to roundtrip it back to Anchorage and that would involve alot more miles. So if we went one way, we could do the most with our time.

Any suggestions ar welcome.

Is there a hefty one way drop off fee for the motorhome?

There are WAY fewer options for one way RV rentals and way fewer RV companies that rent in Fairbanks. Anchorage is loaded with competitive venders. I rented from Great Alaskan Holiday. It isn't a cheap option and no savings over a rental car and B&B's. So budget fully and make your overnight plans in advance. Determine your routing??? Are you looking to include Fairbanks? Time is necessary and best is to have at least a week for a round trip Anchorage Fairbanks. Add a couple more days if heading to Seward.

Research venders- http://www.anchorage.net http://www.explorefairbanks.com

In my short time researching this option, I could see that the way to go, for a motor home was Anchorage. But we had wanted to start in Fairbanks and work our way down, maybe we will rent a car in Fairbanks and or maybe we will start in Anchorage and fly home out of Fairbanks, alot to think about.

Thanks

My DH and I have spent quite a bit of time RVing in Alaska. What do you want to do? Are you wanting to sightsee and get a little view of as much of the state as possible, or are you interested in fishing? We've done some fantastic trips with just a week available.

we are going to sight see, it is our first time...we found a RV company called Great Alask a Holidays, they are reasonable, new model motor homes, they are about 300 less then the others. We are wanting to start in Fairbanks, but they drop off in Anchorage is costly. So, we are thingking of doing:

Anchorage, couple days, Denali and Talkeetna three days and then back to Anchorage and bypass Fairbanks.

We are going on a cruise and we need to get back the day before it sails to return the RV and then make our way to Whittier.

Do you have any suggestions?

We are going in mid to late May on the land tour, independently.

Are they nice RV camp grounds? Can you suggest a few in the areas we will be visting? I see alot of add on fees at these camp grounds, like a shower for two minutes is 5 dollars at one I saw recently. Do you hook up to the amentities, like the running water, electricity, etc.

There are so many options... it really depends on what your interests are...

If I had a week I don't know if I'd spend a couple of days in Anchorage. It's a very nice city, but it's a city not unlike many in the 48.... If you are looking for the Alaska wilderness type of experience, your time is maybe better spent elsewhere.

I also don't think (and I really hate to say this, 'cause I live there!) that bypassing Fairbanks is a big deal. If you had a little more time I would definitely make it part of the trip, but you're not going to be able to see the whole state in a week, (It's a BIG state!) so you'll have to make some decisions on what your biggest priorities are.

What are you planning on doing in Talkeetna?

I do think that Denali is a must see place. DH and I have done a couple of rafting trips there which where alot of fun. We've also done the bus trip into Denali and had a great time. No guarantee of seeing wildlife, but we did see a mamma bear and her 2 cubs, a lot of moose, (not really a big deal to us, 'cause we can see them from the living room window often), and caribou. You've got to be prepared for a long day in a "school bus", but we enjoyed it.

Are you traveling with kids?

We have stayed in campgrounds both with and without hookups and with and without showers. You can always shower in the RV although your water is limited without hookups. It needs to be a "navy shower", but at least you get clean. We have paid up to $2 p/p for a shower at the campground, but not ever anymore than that. When we first started RVing hookups where a big deal to us (I'm a 4star hotel kindof girl), but we've started staying more in areas without hookups. We've found that the areas with hookups end up being more of a parking lot kind of set up with RVs on either side of you. We prefer being in a more wilderness type of area with trees all around. We can sure give you some ideas of places to stay depending upon what you are looking for.

We have really enjoyed going to Seward. The drive from Anchorage to Seward is probably the most beautiful DH and I have seen. We've also done a couple of wildlife/glacier tours from Seward. Again, no guarantee of wildlife, but we've been 3 times and seen whales each time, had dolphins swimming next to the boat, sea otters, seals, sea lions and puffins. We've always gone in July/August time frame. I'm not certain if you'll have as good of luck at the end of May.

Another one of our favorite drives is the one down to Valdez. You go through an area called Thompson Pass which is an amazing drive. There are several waterfalls throughout the pass. There's not much to do/see (IMHO) in Valdez unless you want to go fishing, but DH and I will make the drive just for the sake of the drive.

We are novice to say the very least...

As I read your response I am also thinking of bypassing Fairbanks...

I would like to do the following:

Fly to Anchorage, stay at a hotel.... 5-19

Anchorage for a day and pick up RV 5-20,

Drive to Denali, stay there for two whole days, 5-21, 5-22, 5-23( roughly a 220 mile drive?)

Drive from Denali to Seward...5-24, 5-25 (this seems like a long drive, over 350 miles?)

Back to Anchorage for 5-26, drop off RV

Down to Whittier or Seward as we get on board the cruise ship..

Beleive it will be Whittier at this point..

We wish to do this as I said in late May, what are the chances that the parks are not open for visitors? Especially Denali

Thanks again

NO KIDS, just us four big kids.....

Recommendations for the flightseeing.....my husband is a pilot and he wishes to fly over the scenery, not himself flying, but as a passenger..;)

Wassup

The problem with your plan for denali is that the shuttles don't start running until May 15th at earliest and won't go to Toklat river until near the last week of may. I hope you have checked the 2005 schedule on the denali site. It is there, I saw it last week. I don't know what times the campgrounds open in denali? Are they open that early. Other than that, it should be great vacation.

YES- there are problems with Denali Park- The Toklat River Shuttle doesn't start until May 21 and actually that is not a given getting that far due to the road conditions. I would STRONGLY suggest you switch your Seward and Denali touring time. Great flightseeing is out of Talkeetna of which I highly recommend a stop there. I would adjust your days- consider Anchorage- Seward- 125 miles, 1-2 nights, Seward - Talkeetna 1 night, about 250 miles, Talkeetna - Denali Park 150 miles. Then Denali Park/Anchorage 240 miles. Have your Anchorage touring day at the begining. then to ship via rail.

Wasup

Site is

http://www.nps.gov/dena/index and look for shuttle schedule for 2005. The new Eielson Visitor center during reconstruction is Fish CreeK I believe, and this is about mile 63. On our trip before last, we were planning on going the same time you have, but based on BQ's input, we moved our trip back one week and still had to go to denali last before heading for ship in order to go on May 31st and June 1st, first day to Eielson. We then had to drive all the way to Anc after 8hr bus ride to get back in time to turn in car and get ready to leave next morning on bus for Seward. But it is doable, depending on what hrs the rv place has to turn in. You also have the morning you leave, as Whittier is closer than Seward. You don't want to miss denali but you have to be inside the time window. Good luck. There are some photos from denali, etc on http://community.webshots.com/user/jq4653

I had seen where Denali was not open till 5-21, so I decided to do Seward first, then do Denali on the 5-26,5-27, 5-28, this gives us a few more days of hoping it is open. We are saving some money if we do the motorhome prior to June 1st, as the rates go from 98 a night with unlimited mileage to 165 a night.

Does anyone know about the sea sickness for the all day boat tip to Kenai Fjords?

How to get from Anchorage to Whittier for the cruise ship?

Cruise line is charging 75 a person, but it includes the transfer to Vancouver airport on the end of the trip, so roughly 37 a person for each port.

Can you just drive to Denali and get on the Tundra Wildnerness Tour, or is it an advanced ticket item?

Thanks soooo much for all the info

On the 27th of May you should be able to get to at least Toklat River on the shuttle, don't know whether it is June 1st for Fish Creek or it may be open earlier. The Tundra Tour will only go to Toklat River I think unless the mtn is out. Cost is $79-85 with a questionable lunch. Think about shuttle again. The Tundra Tour does sell out as Princess or other cruiselines book a whole bunch for their cruise tours.

I would definitely take medicine for Kenai Fjords tour. My wife uses patch for whole cruise and adds bomine for small boat tours. She hasn't gotten sick yet and it was pretty rough on our last tour. Not the whole time but only when crossing the open water for 15-30 minites each way.

I'll let someone else talk to transportation. There will be ship buses, should be a train, but we have only taken both to Seward.

Yes Fish Creek shuttle starts June 1.

AND no- I do not recommend the Tundra Wilderness Tour bus when you can take the SHUTTLE to the SAME place, Toklat mile 53 for $28.50pp vs at least $75 for the tour bus. You do need reservations IN ADVANCE and have to pack and bring in your own food and drink. YES- I have seen sick passengers on EVERY Kenai fjords boat tour I have been on 10+++. Take precautions if prone. Anchorage - Whittier- I'll assume you are turning in your RV that morning?? Best probably will be the cruiseline bus that picks up at the airport. But see if you can just purchase that and just take a cab to Vancouver airport for about $28+++ca.

Archived