Shadow Alaska-Late August Excursion Recommendations

chadrich

I realize there's a whole other section for Port of Call posts. But I expect that the advice I'll get here on the SilverSea-specific board will be more on-point.

Traveling on Shadow, Seward to Vancouver, departing August 27. My wife and I (mid 40s) and my in-laws (early 70s). Generally mobile though one member is over-weight (consideration for helicopter and small plane tours).

Group would like to salmon fish and glacier walk in particular, both of which can be done in multiple ports (and I hear that the Taku lodge visit is great). So trying to decide in which ports to fish and glacier walk, and what to do in other ports. Leaning toward things that are not overly physical but not dead boring (ie don't see us going to lumber jack show, with apologies to anyone who has). Also debating whether to book excursions thru SilverSea or to book them myself directly.

I know that's a bit open ended, but I've tried to provide some demogrphic info on my group that I hope will allow for recommendations.

Would love to hear any thoughts and advice, as well as tour companies you'd recommend.

Bears, go and see the bears, I can't advocate that highly enough. We sailed at the beginning of September and went to Neets Bay, which was fantastic.The naturalists were so helpful and we were almost within touching distance of black bear. Also size/weight is absolutely not an issue, or never made to be one, certainly on float planes and I speak from experience. Please do not let that put anyone off having this wonderful opportunity

Archived