Pre paid credit card for teen

Hello All:

We will be cruising on GOS in April with our family plus a friend of my daughter. Upon "checking us in" for the cruise I found that a teen cannot use a parent credit card for purchases if that parent is not on the cruise. Our TA told this girls parent that the teen could use a pre paid credit card for on board charges. I did not see any info on that on the check in process. Can anyone speak to this particular question??

Thanks - Nancy

I don't know about a pre-paid card....lots of places don't accept them....but they can give her cash to put on her account....I mean, she can't actually USE the card on the ship anyway....it's the ship's account that she will be charging against. Cash is fine. Just have the parents give you the money, apply it to her seapass when you check in, and all's well!

So, if this teen has cash applied to her sea pass account - would we need to keep track of what she purchases or is the sea pass account strictly hers (not included with our entire cabin)? Does that make sense?

How easily do we get back any she has not used at the end of the cruise??

Thanks - Nancy

]I don't know about a pre-paid card....lots of places don't accept them....but they can give her cash to put on her account....I mean, she can't actually USE the card on the ship anyway....it's the ship's account that she will be charging against. Cash is fine. Just have the parents give you the money, apply it to her seapass when you check in, and all's well!

If you set up the account for the teen than it will be separate from the rest of the cabin. Your TA did give you incorrect info though. If you did desire than you can set up the teen account under your CC also. However if you set up a cash account for the teen you can keep track on the tv and get back any unused cash on the last night of the cruise. When the accounts are set up separately than each go under their own name so no need to worry about extra charges on your account. Please be aware that even with a cash account it is possible for the teen to go over her cash deposit.

Archived