Crowds and Temps in Late June?

ashelsi

Sailing on Norwegian the last 2 weeks of June to Athens, Greek Isles, Turkey, and Croatia. I have read in many places the popular cruise stops are crowded in the summer months especially July and August but wondering how crowded it will be late June?

Also wondering how warm it will be. I have heard the climate is similar to Southern California, which is where I live, and it can actually be quite cool in June in SoCal and wondering if the same is true in the Eastern Med.

Any input from anyone who has been there late June would be greatly appreciated!

It was not quite cool when we were there in late June last year. It was quite hot, especially in Athens and Dubrovnik.

Thanks! How were the crowds? Planning on having fun either way just wondering what to expect!

Giving this a bump. I am going in late June as well and would love to know. Anybody out there?

We did Athens and several Greek Isles from June 17-24, 2006, and had super great weather. We did not have major crowds as we also then move to see the Turkish Coast and Istanbul. BUT, weather changes for the obvious reasons. Generally, as I understand by mid to late June, the waters in that area have not heated up that much and that serves to "temper" things to make it nicer and more enjoyable than you might have later in the summer.

On crowds, part of it is luck and most important, how many other ships will be in harbor on that one day when you are there. We were in Mykonos on a Sunday and there were only a couple of other smaller cruise boats docked there for that day. As you can see by these pictures, nothing was that crowded or jammed. It was super wonderful!!! On one of the port days in Bodrum along the Turkish Coast, we were docked next to a large Princess ship that carried 2500 passengers. Those larger ships do impact things and make the port "feel" much different. Our other two Greek Island stops were on small island that don't get that many other ships, especially none of the larger ones.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Narrow flowered street in Mykonos with its many shops:

1A-Myk-FlowerStreet.jpg

On the opposite side of the Mykonos village on the island, here's a sampling of the beachside activities. Some people there, but not that crowded or busy:

1A-Myk-Beach2.jpg

MikOtherSide.jpg

Mykonos’ market and outside dining area overlooking the harbor:

MikMarket.jpg

The famed four windmills overlooking Mykonos:

Mik4WindMill.jpg

A Mykonos church with a dining area in front of this building:

MikChurDining.jpg

Sometimes late June is not that different from July or August and certain areas of these cruise stops do get very crowded, especially when two or more cruise ships dock at the same time.

As for the weather, it might be a bit cool at night but during the day it’s rather warm.

Thank you everyone for your input! And Thank you TLCOhio for those fantastic pictures. I have to admit I got a little giddy with excitment when I saw them.

THANKS for the kind comments! Here's a few more from Mykonos and nearby in the Greek Isles . . . to added to your super "GIDDY" mood, excitement and feeling!!! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Housing up the hillside near Mykonos:

1A-Myk-Village-Shore.jpg

Ladies departing a church service in main Mykonos on a Sunday:

1A-Mykonos-ChurchLadies.jpg

Another view of the small harbor and houses up the hillside in Mykonos:

1A-Mykonos-Dockside.jpg

A longer shot of Mykonos’ four windmills and the village rooftops:

MikWindMills2.jpg

On the opposite side of the Mykonos village on the island, here's some surfing going on as a part of the beachside activities:

1A-Myk-Beach1.jpg

In a small village, a colorful group of flowers at a doorway:

GreekIsleDoor.jpg

It's unlikely to be cool in late June. I would expect temperatures around the high 20s C (80s F), possibly into the low 30s (90 or so F). But it could be hotter. We were on Galaxy from the 22nd of June 2007 through into early July, and it was very hot throughout the whole cruise. Some days it reached over 100 F (40+ C). It was also very humid along the west coast of Italy, but a lot less so in the E Mediterranean/Aegean.

Archived