advice please for cruise line/ship

racknlube

My husband and I will be celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary in August, and plan to spend a week on a western caribbean cruise with our two grown children and their significant others. Carnival, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Princess, and Norweigen all do the western caribbean. We are most interested in on-board entertainment and interesting ports - what cruise line/ship is the best "bang for the buck"?

Thank you!

Cruising during august expect more kids on board but I can say that Princess and Celebrity will have the least amounts. Both lines have good food with Celebrity being a bit more formal of the two. Princess for me has a more relaxing atmosphere and better selection of things to do on the ships, both day and night. Overall the cabins are a bit larger.

I totally agree with above.

August is so kid heavy.

Unless you're into water slides, rock climbing walls, disco, book with Celebrity. It's pricier but is much more upscale, sedate, and refined with fewer kids on board. Of course, we're primarily Princess cruisers and prefer Princess over Celebrity as I think Celebrity is a bit snobbish for our taste.

Whatever you decide, Happy Anniversary !

to you both for your replies. So, is it worth it to go to Belize City, and have to take a Carnival cruise, or stick with Princess and their itinerary because they are better? Having never been in the western Caribbean, I don't know about any of the ports.

Which itin and ships are you considering? I have sailed all lines except Celebrity (trying them out in June) and have enjoyed every cruise on every line. I think all have good activities, and give the edge on theater entertainment to Carnival and Norwegian. Actually if the Carnival Dream is doing western Carib, that's the one I'd choose over any other. Awesome new ship and the best show at sea on any ship (that I've seen anyway): Dancing in the Streets. I personally LOVE the waterslides on Carnival ships (and I'm not a kid!)

Have you sailed before, if so, what ship and line?

Many of the ports on a Western Carib. itinerary do not have much to do in the port area. Would suggest that you check your ports for tours that may be interesting to your party. The ports of call on CC always has recomendations from people who have been there & done that. Bill

we have sailed before, but it's been probably 10 years. We have been on Carnival, Princess, and don't remember the other. We have been to the eastern and southern Caribbean, and to Alaska. We went on a short weekend cruise with two other couples to the Bahamas a few years ago. The western Caribbean is my choice of destination, port to sail from can be anyplace south (Florida or New Orleans), and there sure are alot of cruise lines that sail that area! I guess food, entertainment, and general atmosphere of the ship are most important to me.

Thanks for your advice.

Archived