NCL Tips & Secrets

VIPERTRUCK

Hi! I was just thinking about my first cruise on NCL and there were some things I wish I had found sooner.

1 The gift shop sells lanyards & will hole punch your ship key so you can wear it around your neck.

2 You can order the drinks without the souvenir glass for about $3 cheaper.

3 There is a behind the scenes ship tour available (for a charge) on the first sea day.

4 Don't sit in the front 10 rows at the Cirque show on the Jewel (you will miss half of the show that happens behind and above the your seat)

Anyway, are there any other behind-the-scenes secrets they often don't tell you about... or you wish you knew beforehand?

On some of the ships there is a bridge viewing area--on the Jewel it is foreward on deck 11. It is a fascinating place to watch the captain and crew navigate--the windows/curtains are usually only open on sea days--not for docking or leaving. There are radar screens, maps etc. Really interesting. Not sure which--if all ships have this--but on the Jewel I know it wasn't advertised. We happened to be on Deck 11 and jsut found it.

I don't remember seeing it on the DAWN or the STAR.

The GEM has a nice bridge viewing area, and I'm looking foward to seeing the one on the SPIRIT in April. :)

On the STAR, if you go behind the drapes at the Spinnaker (where the band plays) there are "windows" that you can look down into the bridge. There are explanations also at the "windows".

I don't remember seeing it on the DAWN or the STAR.

The GEM has a nice bridge viewing area, and I'm looking foward to seeing the one on the SPIRIT in April. :)

The STAR has a bridge viewing place at the very front of the Spinnaker Lounge. You need to walk behind the curtain to see it. Read this in a tip here many months ago and we went to see it shortly after we boarded the Star in December. Just read in posts here that they are redoing the Spinnaker Lounge and some other places on the Star during the drydock so who knows what may change?

Don't expect to see a big wheel to steer the ship - it's smaller than a car steering wheel.

The little pouch with the manual in raised a laugh - you can imagine the first page.

"Thank you for purchasing this new cruise liner. Before you operate it for the first time, please read this guide etc..."

Hi! I was just thinking about my first cruise on NCL and there were some things I wish I had found sooner.

1 The gift shop sells lanyards & will hole punch your ship key so you can wear it around your neck.

2 You can order the drinks without the souvenir glass for about $3 cheaper.

3 There is a behind the scenes ship tour available (for a charge) on the first sea day.

4 Don't sit in the front 10 rows at the Cirque show on the Jewel (you will miss half of the show that happens behind and above the your seat)

Anyway, are there any other behind-the-scenes secrets they often don't tell you about... or you wish you knew beforehand?

If you are too full for dessert, go to the show and come back for dessert and coffee later.

On some of the ships there is a bridge viewing area--on the Jewel it is foreward on deck 11. It is a fascinating place to watch the captain and crew navigate--the windows/curtains are usually only open on sea days--not for docking or leaving. There are radar screens, maps etc. Really interesting. Not sure which--if all ships have this--but on the Jewel I know it wasn't advertised. We happened to be on Deck 11 and jsut found it.

The JADE has one, and it was very interesting!

yoyocruiser - The Bridge Viewing Room is on every ship in the Norwegian fleet (newer ones) except the Sun and the Sky. :)

Is there a behind the scenes tour on the SUN? We are on the 4/26 TA out of Miami with 6 sea days. Tks

If you have a teenager, the teen passport is a great deal. $34.50 for a coupon book for 20 drinks including smoothies, virgin drinks (pina colada, daquires)...that makes them $1.73 each..and because they are not like a soda card (unlimited...should be just for 1 person and not shared IMO)...but actually coupons...they can be shared by the kids.

Is there a behind the scenes tour on the SUN? We are on the 4/26 TA out of Miami with 6 sea days. Tks

I just finished a trip around South America on the Sun on the Sun Feb 14th. There was a behind the scenes tour on that one.

I saw a sign about a "behind the scenes" tour at the desk on deck 5, asked about it and was given a choice of two times. When I picked my time, the NCL staff member said "just a minute" walked into the office behind the desk for a minute and came back with a charge slip for $55.00 for me to sign. Needless to say, I decided to not pay $55.00 for something that has been free on other cruiselines.

I haven't been on NCL before but I think all cruise lines may be a bit similiar. One of the best kept secrets on carnival were the showeres in the spa area. They were huge with 5 water jets and great when you have 3 or more sharing one cabin getting ready for dinner.

If you have a teenager, the teen passport is a great deal. $34.50 for a coupon book for 20 drinks including smoothies, virgin drinks (pina colada, daquires)...that makes them $1.73 each..and because they are not like a soda card (unlimited...should be just for 1 person and not shared IMO)...but actually coupons...they can be shared by the kids.

I agree this is a great deal. They can be used in the dining rooms also.

Archived