Juneau excursion help

nanaknees

This is our 1st time to Alaska, and I have picked 3 excursions for Juneau that I was hoping you all could help me zero in on which one would be best for us.

Capt. Larry's Whale Watching Tour (is food available on Capt. Larry's)

Carnival's Whale Quest & Salmon Bake

Carnival's Taku Wilderness Lodge Adventure (they have a grilled salmon meal)

Capt. Larry's Taku Glacier Lodge Salmon Bake

Carnival's Mendenhall Glacier & Salmon Bake

I might add that we have been on a whale watching tour on Cape Cod. Should we do one of the other excursions since we have done that before? Our ship is in port from 2-11:00, so my thought is we would be missing our early dining on the ship. The salmon bakes along with the excursions sound tempting in this regard, but I want opinions please.

Just to give you further input on what excursions we were going to do in the other ports.....for Skagway, Carnival's White Pass & Yukon Railway and

for Ketchikan.....Southeast Sea Kayaks Pennock Paddling

Thank you for reading and any suggestions/opinions.

Cindy

We did the Taku Lodge Flight several years ago and it was fantastic. The flight over the glaciers was awesome! We've never done Captain Larry's, but have it booked for this August after reading the terrific accounts on this board. I do highly recommend the Taku Lodge Flight and Salmon Bake. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I have done Capt. Larry's whale watch before and am doing it again this year' however my friends did Taku and raved about it.. if you have done a whale watch before... I would recommend yuo do the Taku (even thought I won't go in a helicopter) everyone thinks it is fantastic and should not be missed.

This is our 1st time to Alaska, and I have picked 3 excursions for Juneau that I was hoping you all could help me zero in on which one would be best for us.

Capt. Larry's Whale Watching Tour (is food available on Capt. Larry's)

Carnival's Whale Quest & Salmon Bake

Carnival's Taku Wilderness Lodge Adventure (they have a grilled salmon meal)

Capt. Larry's Taku Glacier Lodge Salmon Bake

Carnival's Mendenhall Glacier & Salmon Bake

I might add that we have been on a whale watching tour on Cape Cod. Should we do one of the other excursions since we have done that before? Our ship is in port from 2-11:00, so my thought is we would be missing our early dining on the ship. The salmon bakes along with the excursions sound tempting in this regard, but I want opinions please.

Just to give you further input on what excursions we were going to do in the other ports.....for Skagway, Carnival's White Pass & Yukon Railway and

for Ketchikan.....Southeast Sea Kayaks Pennock Paddling

Thank you for reading and any suggestions/opinions.

Cindy

Hi Cindy!

We have taken the Taku Lodge Excursion and Whale Watching in Juneau on separate cruises. Both were excellent.

Taku Lodge is just outstanding. The flightseeing over the glacier enroute (a first for us at that time) is awesome and food is just delicious! As an added bonus, if it is late enough in the season you might get to see the resident bears clean up the leftovers!

The whale watching was also terrific. I have been disappointed with the whale watching out of Boston (only in Providence a couple of years), but another poster (BudgetQueen) suggested the Cape so I'll give it a try!

What ever you choose, you can't go wrong!

We took the whale watching out of Juneau last year and did see quite a few flukes. We leave near Boston and have done many whale watches from Boston and Cape Cod. We saw more whales and more of the whales on the trips in Massachusetts. The trip in Juneau was somewhat of a let down.

When we flew to Taku Lodge it was on a 10 seater (if I remember seating correctly) sea plane. It was our first time on such an aircraft (I even got to sit in the co-pilot set). The take off and landings were as smooth as could be. Enjoy!

I too have done both the Taku Lodge and Orca Enterprises. For me the time at the lodge was too long. I was ready to leave long before we did, but for me a glacier helicopter landing is superior. There is no food other than "snacks" on the whale watch. There is no "Cpt Larry Taku lodge salmon bake" they are only booking agents for the same trip. Your other salmon bakes are in Juneau, independent Gold Creek runs a loop bus to the docks, then easy to just decide on the spot if you want it. Meals are a VERY low priority for me on the ship. Enjoy some local salmon- out of this world. :)

Archived