Upgrade from 6C OV to Cat 12 Penthouse

kdickers

I've just spoken to my TA . . . there's a Cat 12 available on the Celebration for our June 9th (NEWBIE) cruise, but didn't know if it was worth the $750 for the 4 day cruise.

What differneces are there in these rooms and amenities??

Thanks for the info!!!!

Kim

Your getting a larger room, a private balcony, a bigger bathroom with an actual bathtub with jacuzzi jets in it.. a walk in closet... also you will get Skippers Club so you might get priority boarding depending on the port.. I don't know how Jacksonville does its Skippers Club.. Skippers Club is basically priority boarding for people in Cat 11 and Cat 12 cabins...

Is it $750 TOTAL or $750 per person? If its $750 total.. I would definately do it.. if you can afford it of course without hardship... it will reallllllllly wow you and you will love the cabin.. of course your setting your standards high for the next cruise ;)

Well, this is right from Carnival's website...

Cat 12

These extra-large accommodations have a separate sitting area and a private balcony. Special features include a large vanity/dressing table, refrigerator and entertainment area, VCR, whirlpool bath and walk-in closet.

Cat 6 - Oceanview

Every Carnival guest is assured of spacious, comfortable accommodations. All staterooms have carpeting, ample drawer and closet space, private facilities (shower, basin and toilet), telephone and color television showing first-run films. Our SuperLiners all feature staterooms above ocean level for a more comfortable cruise.

Your getting a larger room, a private balcony, a bigger bathroom with an actual bathtub with jacuzzi jets in it.. a walk in closet... also you will get Skippers Club so you might get priority boarding depending on the port.. I don't know how Jacksonville does its Skippers Club.. Skippers Club is basically priority boarding for people in Cat 11 and Cat 12 cabins...

Is it $750 TOTAL or $750 per person? If its $750 total.. I would definately do it.. if you can afford it of course without hardship... it will reallllllllly wow you and you will love the cabin.. of course your setting your standards high for the next cruise ;)

Well, this is right from Carnival's website...

Cat 12

These extra-large accommodations have a separate sitting area and a private balcony. Special features include a large vanity/dressing table, refrigerator and entertainment area, VCR, whirlpool bath and walk-in closet.

Cat 6 - Oceanview

Every Carnival guest is assured of spacious, comfortable accommodations. All staterooms have carpeting, ample drawer and closet space, private facilities (shower, basin and toilet), telephone and color television showing first-run films. Our SuperLiners all feature staterooms above ocean level for a more comfortable cruise.

LegalCat,

Unfortunately that's the ONLY information I'd been able to find (what's on the website) . . . which just says it's larger but . . . it didn't say how much or anything about FULL BATH . . . WHIRLPOOL!!

It's only $750 TOTAL!!!! TA just emailed and said it's $790 but what's $40 more $$ anyway????

My DH and DD (will be 14 at time of cruise) will be going with me so . . . that really breaks down to . . . over $260pp . . . is it worth that?????

Kim

Oh definately! especially if your DD is staying in your room which I assume she is.. the Cat 12 has a large sitting area... you will be MUCH happier... even tho its only a 4 day, I 100% recommend you to do it... the description from Carnival says "whirlpool tub" its a full size tub like you would have in your house, but with jacuzzi jets.. rather than the small stand up shower you will get in the Cat6... you will have a lot more room in the bathroom, great for three people.. the BALCONY! how can you beat that... If it were me... I would definately do it...

I found this information from a discount travel site:

It says Cat 12 is 374 sq ft with a 87 sq ft balcony compared to Cat 6 is 185 sq ft

Oooh this also says it has one queen sized bed (NOT two put together single beds).. thats much more comfy.. I didnt notice if the Carnival description said that or not... and a convertible couch for your DD...

Cat 12

374 sq ft with 87-sq-ft private balcony, sitting area, convertible couch, one queen-size bed, private bathroom with tub and shower, TV with first-run movies, and telephone.

Cat 6

185 sq ft, picture window, sitting area, desk, two twin beds that converts to a queen-size bed, private bathroom with shower, TV with first-run movies, and telephone.

Does the couch pull out to a bed? If so . . . what size???

Do the suites also have expanded room service etc??

Fortunately for me . . . this cruise is a graduation present from my parents (completing my Master's in Social Work . . . graduating MAY 8TH!!!) so . . . the only "cost" for me will be tips . . . excursions and this upgrade!!!!!:D

Kim

omg then I would TOTALLY do it... no doubt.. congrats on your Masters by the way... the room service is the same... I dont think Carnival gives you anything special for being in a suite rather than being in a regular room.. nothing that I recall anyway, we have stayed in a Cat 11 and a Cat 12 both of which are suites, I dont recall anything particularly different than when we stayed in Oceanview or regular Balcony cabins... other than the fact that your room rocks.. LOL and you get the skippers club....

I dont see anything about the size of the couch but it looks bigger than a single anyway... could be a queen?.. it says you can put 5 people in there.. so its gotta be a queen...

Oops . . . forgot to mention DRINKS are on ME (cost that is:( )!!

I can't believe there's that much difference in sq footage . . . and having the regular bed sure sounds great too!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS FOR THE INFO . . . I think I'll email her back and tell her to DO IT!!!!!!!!!

Kim

Gosh that sounds so cheap!!! We are booked in a cat 12 suite on the Ecstasy and for 4 of us it is $3800!! Tips, tax and port fees included. It is a 5 night cruise. All I can say is "You lucky dog!"

I know! KIM! get it IN WRITING! lol... make sure that the TA gives you some kind of printed confirmation so you have it, I'm telling you, its a really good deal...

There are no balcony cabins on this size ship other than the suites......it is not a 7 day cruise........the only thing you are gaining is the room and skippers club(which I have seen take longer than regular embarkation)....no other amenities.....

If you were satisfied with the original room you purchased, I can think of alot of things to do with $800..........then again, if money is no object, go for it:D

We took our 10yr old grandaughter on the Fantasy last year and had a suite. The couch that pulled out into a bed was just the right size for her. It is nearest the balcony and ever with it pulled out there was plenty of room to get out to the balcony. (know sometimes those kids like to sleep late).

Only problem I see is that once you have suite you'll never want to go back to a regualr cabin.

When we first started crusining we had usually booked a balcony cabin. We were upgraded to a suite on a cruise we took a couple of weeks after 9-11. Since then I have only booked Cat 11 or Cat 12.

Having the extra room with a 3rd person in the cabin is the a big plus-I say go for the suite.

Well . . . since Tues I've been trying to get ahold of my TA (not her fault though . . . we just kept missing each other, she's from a semi-local travel agency . . . starts and ends with the same letter!! lol) but we've just "connected" today.

On the Carnival website they've had this suite listed (first I've seen since I booked and I keep looking periodically) but . . . when she called Carnival they said that it was booked online.

When I located it . . . I proceeded as though I was purchasing it until I could get ahold of her . . . I'm just wondering if it's still tied up somewhere online where I didn't complete the purchase.

But now when I check . . . nothings there!!

Any ideas??

Kim

I hope you didnt lose out on the cabin. I tried a few online booking engines and each were only showing 6D available for June 9th.

That doesnt necessarily mean one isnt available.. before we booked Victory last week we were looking at suites on another one.. we basically had no choice but a regular oceanview, only the suites had balconies.. and even carnival's website said there were NO suites available.. I went back the next day again and then a lot were showing up to choose from...

Kim - since your not even paying for the original cabin, as it was a gift, I think its a no brainer... basically your paying for the upgrade and not the cabin itself.. even tho its money you wouldnt be spending otherwise.. but I really think its worth it... your getting a huge upgrade for minimal money on the grand scheme of things...

When we had a Cat 11 last year, it was going to cost us over $1,000 EACH to go from an 11 to a 12, of course that was a 7 day cruise so its more.. but still... your getting a really great deal.. I say go for it and make your present even more special!

Well . . . since Tues I've been trying to get ahold of my TA (not her fault though . . . we just kept missing each other, she's from a semi-local travel agency . . . starts and ends with the same letter!! lol) but we've just "connected" today.

On the Carnival website they've had this suite listed (first I've seen since I booked and I keep looking periodically) but . . . when she called Carnival they said that it was booked online.

When I located it . . . I proceeded as though I was purchasing it until I could get ahold of her . . . I'm just wondering if it's still tied up somewhere online where I didn't complete the purchase.

But now when I check . . . nothings there!!

Any ideas??

Kim

Have her call Carnival back and keep trying, maybe she can speak with a supervisor....

That doesnt necessarily mean one isnt available.. before we booked Victory last week we were looking at suites on another one.. we basically had no choice but a regular oceanview, only the suites had balconies.. and even carnival's website said there were NO suites available.. I went back the next day again and then a lot were showing up to choose from...

Kim - since your not even paying for the original cabin, as it was a gift, I think its a no brainer... basically your paying for the upgrade and not the cabin itself.. even tho its money you wouldnt be spending otherwise.. but I really think its worth it... your getting a huge upgrade for minimal money on the grand scheme of things...

When we had a Cat 11 last year, it was going to cost us over $1,000 EACH to go from an 11 to a 12, of course that was a 7 day cruise so its more.. but still... your getting a really great deal.. I say go for it and make your present even more special!

THANKS,

She's supposed to keep checking and I will too . . . but . . . if I locate another one (like over the weekend and cant get ahold of her) what do I do?? Carnival won't talk to me since I've booked through a TA!!!!!

She's supposed to put me on a waiting list for a suite at least so . . . maybe that will produce something for me!!!!

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed!!

THANKS everyone for the vote of support for my masters completion . . . it's been a LONG HARD 3 years juggling full-time employment. . . school . . . a VERY INVOLVED 13 yr old and my DH has been working in WI since Aug!!!!!

I NEED A SUITE to congratulate myself . . . don't you think????!!!!! lol

Kim

Archived