Computers @ Sea Instructor on the Grand

adverb

Hello everyone. I wanted to officially introduce myself. My name is Rachel and I will be working as a computer instructor on the Grand Princess from Apr 9 - Sep 4. I am very excited and look forward to meeting some of you aboard. I have cruised with Princess in the past and I am looking forward to my new "life at sea".

I plan to hang out the appropriate "Roll Call" threads as well, but I also wanted to make a post here. I'm in the process of developing the curriculum, so if you have any specific requests for computer classes you might be interested in or any other questions, please let me know.

Thank you for introducing yourself! Can you give us an idea of some of the classes that have been offered in the past?

I will be teaching Photoshop courses, Microsoft Office course (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), Windows Movie Maker classes, and some internet-based classes (like Ebay).

There are classes for all skill levels. For more advanced topics that aren't covered, there is also private instruction available.

I've never been on the Grand Princess, nor to that part of the world, so I am excited. I wonder if living on a cruise ship will be as exciting as sailing on one :)

Adverb,

Welcome aboard and good luck with your training. Photoshop will come handy for those people who purchase the new photo book concept from Panraven.

Ted

What book is this? I guess I am not familiar with it.

And just to clarify, the program we teach is Photoshop Elements, which is not as hefty (or as pricey) as the original Photoshop.

What book is this? I guess I am not familiar with it.

And just to clarify, the program we teach is Photoshop Elements, which is not as hefty (or as pricey) as the original Photoshop.

Can you please give us a little Bio on your background? Thank you.

Can you please give us a little Bio on your background? Thank you.

No problem. I am going to copy and paste from my bio, which is going to be printed up in the cruise program.

Rachel is a certified presenter who has taught many different computer classes to beginners and advanced users alike. She enjoys learning about new technology and trends and loves sharing this information with others. Her classes are both fun and filled with valuable tips to get the most out of your computer. Rachel holds a degree in Technical Writing and has worked in the software industry for several years. She also has published numerous magazine articles relating to technology topics.

Cool! I would be interested to know what is involved in trying to become a computer instructor on a cruise ship. I can do a boiler-plate website and hand-hold people to post their pictures and blogs online on their own website. My dad teaches computers for a living. Do you have to be a resident on the ship, or can you just choose certain sailings, like a speaker?

Thanks! Just trying to see your IT background.

Yep. I've worked with computers quite a bit over the years. I'm certainly not afraid of them. I've taught mainly intermediate and advanced classes, so it will be interesting to teach absolute beginner classes, too. I think it's not just about skill, but about the ability to teach and convey the information as well. Knowing your way around a program is one thing, but being able to show someone so they learn it is another :)

Cool! I would be interested to know what is involved in trying to become a computer instructor on a cruise ship. I can do a boiler-plate website and hand-hold people to post their pictures and blogs online on their own website. My dad teaches computers for a living. Do you have to be a resident on the ship, or can you just choose certain sailings, like a speaker?

One thing involved in becoming a computer instructor is LOTS of patience. I applied for this job over 6 months ago and didn't hear anything back for a while.

You do have to be a resident on the ship. Different cruise lines have different policies, but on Princess I'm going to be doing a five month contract. Which means I'll be living at sea for 5 months. You are limited to what ships they have available at the time, but they had a European itinerary for me, so I wasn't complaining :)

I will be looking forward to your 'classes' on the Grand! The wife has Photoshop Elements, but its all strange to me..! :o

Amazingly enough, I may be your first student (or in your first class) as we are sailing on the Grand Princess 15 day Transatlantic sailing of April 9!! :D Looking forward to meeting you... :p And good luck on your "new life at sea"..

I will be looking forward to your 'classes' on the Grand! The wife has Photoshop Elements, but its all strange to me..! :o

Amazingly enough, I may be your first student (or in your first class) as we are sailing on the Grand Princess 15 day Transatlantic sailing of April 9!! :D Looking forward to meeting you... :p And good luck on your "new life at sea"..

Yaaay! You are going to be on my first teaching cruise, and it's a biggie. On the 16 days, 8 of those will be at sea- which means I have to teach for all those days. :eek: But most of my at sea days are in the beginning, which means I get a chance to relax near the end.

The cruise goes to some pretty neat places (Ireland, Scotland, Paris), but that is the only time I get to go to those during my 5 month stay, so I plan to make it count. Do you have any excursions planned?

I do hope to see you and your wife in my classes! Since there are lots of at sea days, there's plenty of opportunity to teach all sorts of different things.

Out of curiosity are you doing anytime dining or do you have dining reservations? And what kind of room do you have?

Adverb,

We were on the Star in Oct/Nov last year and the photo shop sold us the idea of a photo book to remember our cruise. We were quite impessed with the end result. It allowed us to include up to about 100 pages of our own photos, provided the templates and the photos we purchased from formal nights and gangways. The process was basically a cut and paste exercise but the printed result was a quite impressive, hard cover book which we can leave on the coffee table or place in the library. Would go hand in hand with the basic introduction of your photo elements. Could pay to have a yarn to the Photo Shop guys.;)

Yaaay! You are going to be on my first teaching cruise, and it's a biggie. On the 16 days, 8 of those will be at sea- which means I have to teach for all those days. :eek: But most of my at sea days are in the beginning, which means I get a chance to relax near the end.

The cruise goes to some pretty neat places (Ireland, Scotland, Paris), but that is the only time I get to go to those during my 5 month stay, so I plan to make it count. Do you have any excursions planned?

We plan on doing the 'sun' things on the first two sea days prior to Bermuda, and probably the day after! Weather will probably begin to change after our stop in Bermuda, when we plan to do classes, activities on board, etc... :)

The SUN and WARMTH (hopefully) will be welcome after a long winter in dreary Erie, PA! :o

I do hope to see you and your wife in my classes! Since there are lots of at sea days, there's plenty of opportunity to teach all sorts of different things.

Out of curiosity are you doing anytime dining or do you have dining reservations? And what kind of room do you have?

I'm sure you'll probably see us both, and I will mention that "we already met"! You may see us a couple times.. :D

We have most of our excursions planned privately, as we tired of waiting for Princess to post theirs.. :( We have chosen anytime dining, as we don't like to be 'kept to a certain schedule', and we are traveling 'casual' this sailing, so thought 'anytime' would be best! :p

We plan on doing the 'sun' things on the first two sea days prior to Bermuda, and probably the day after! Weather will probably begin to change after our stop in Bermuda, when we plan to do classes, activities on board, etc... :)

The SUN and WARMTH (hopefully) will be welcome after a long winter in dreary Erie, PA! :o

I'm sure you'll probably see us both, and I will mention that "we already met"! You may see us a couple times.. :D

We have most of our excursions planned privately, as we tired of waiting for Princess to post theirs.. :( We have chosen anytime dining, as we don't like to be 'kept to a certain schedule', and we are traveling 'casual' this sailing, so thought 'anytime' would be best! :p

That's a good point about the weather. I'm going to have to pack for very cold and very warm. I hear April in London is pretty chilly.

What sort of excursions do you have planned? I'm surprised Princess hasn't posted their excursions either! I've never been to Paris before, so I'm thinking I should try and see the Louvre and the Eiffel Tower, but I don't know if there's time for both.

If you have anytime dining, that means I could eat with you all (if you'll have me). Since it's my first cruise probably won't know anyone on the ship yet, and I'm not sure if other crew has the ability to eat in the passenger dining room. I expected to socialize and market the program anyway ;)

That's a good point about the weather. I'm going to have to pack for very cold and very warm. I hear April in London is pretty chilly.
We don't know what to expect weather-wise.. Its been so questionable in the UK this year, anything is possible..!!
What sort of excursions do you have planned? I'm surprised Princess hasn't posted their excursions either! I've never been to Paris before, so I'm thinking I should try and see the Louvre and the Eiffel Tower, but I don't know if there's time for both.
Never been there myself, but if you want to go to the Roll Call for this particular sailing (April 9, 2010), there is info on the Ports of Call.. Also, Princess now has their excursions posted, so since you are 'working for them' you may get a discount on their stuff.. :)

If you have anytime dining, that means I could eat with you all (if you'll have me). Since it's my first cruise probably won't know anyone on the ship yet, and I'm not sure if other crew has the ability to eat in the passenger dining room. I expected to socialize and market the program anyway ;)
Yes you could .. We plan on dining with different people every night..!! And dining isn't a set time, so you can go whenever!!

I'm taking it that you are on a different 'contract' than the regular crew? Do you use the crew's quarters, or are you 'out with the common people'? ;)

ps: We have a BB balcony cabin, directly on the back of the ship.. Facing wherever the ship has been! :p

We don't know what to expect weather-wise.. Its been so questionable in the UK this year, anything is possible..!!

Never been there myself, but if you want to go to the Roll Call for this particular sailing (April 9, 2010), there is info on the Ports of Call.. Also, Princess now has their excursions posted, so since you are 'working for them' you may get a discount on their stuff.. :)

Yes you could .. We plan on dining with different people every night..!! And dining isn't a set time, so you can go whenever!!

I'm taking it that you are on a different 'contract' than the regular crew? Do you use the crew's quarters, or are you 'out with the common people'? ;)

ps: We have a BB balcony cabin, directly on the back of the ship.. Facing wherever the ship has been! :p

I'll have to check out the roll calls. I've been meaning to. It is just so daunting because I'd have to check in with so many different threads :p That's why I wanted to introduce myself here first.

I had a balcony at the back of the ship on my Alaskan cruise I took last September, and it was awesome. No wind, and the balcony is a little bit bigger too. My room will not be nearly as nice this time around ;)

Looking forward to meeting you. We are on the April 9th. trip out of FLL.:) I never gave it a thought, about the classes at sea. But this will be our first with so many sea days. Thanks for posting and I will see you in a few weeks. Laura
Laura: HI..!! I don't recognize your 'name', and thought you might want to go to the very active Roll Call forum for this sailing!! :) The link is below..! Would love to have you join in on the fun! :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=964573

adverb: I can check to see if anyone has any openings on excursions.. I do believe there is a Dublin Tour with openings.. Most of the group are doing the Paris/Seine River Tour thru the ship, except for those of us staying in the LeHavre area.. :p

You may also want to introduce yourself on the above thread 'link'.. Everyone would be more than happy to help you any way they can..!! Tell 'em 'stlrboo' sent you!! :rolleyes: (They won't hold it against you) :o

Laura: HI..!! I don't recognize your 'name', and thought you might want to go to the very active Roll Call forum for this sailing!! :) The link is below..! Would love to have you join in on the fun! :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=964573

adverb: I can check to see if anyone has any openings on excursions.. I do believe there is a Dublin Tour with openings.. Most of the group are doing the Paris/Seine River Tour thru the ship, except for those of us staying in the LeHavre area.. :p

You may also want to introduce yourself on the above thread 'link'.. Everyone would be more than happy to help you any way they can..!! Tell 'em 'stlrboo' sent you!! :rolleyes: (They won't hold it against you) :o

Thanks for the info. Is there a reason you are staying in the LeHavre area?

Thanks for the info. Is there a reason you are staying in the LeHavre area?
Its the day before we disembark at Southampton.... Also the excursion to Paris involes a 3 hour drive time each way, making it a looooooooonng trip.. :eek: (Ship excursion is $199. per person) The couple we are sailing with have been to Paris, so we thought we'd stay in the LeHavre, Rouen and Honfleur area, and just rent a car.... :) We are also doing a 'hectic' two days in London after we disembark, so wanted to keep our excursion in LeHavre a little 'easier'.. :o

Next trip, we'll do the Paris thing... LeHavre idea was just our preference for this trip! (No GOOD reason I guess) Would LOVE to visit Paris... :D

Its the day before we disembark at Southampton.... Also the excursion to Paris involes a 3 hour drive time each way, making it a looooooooonng trip.. :eek: (Ship excursion is $199. per person) The couple we are sailing with have been to Paris, so we thought we'd stay in the LeHavre, Rouen and Honfleur area, and just rent a car.... :) We are also doing a 'hectic' two days in London after we disembark, so wanted to keep our excursion in LeHavre a little 'easier'.. :o

Next trip, we'll do the Paris thing... LeHavre idea was just our preference for this trip! (No GOOD reason I guess) Would LOVE to visit Paris... :D

Hmm.. really? I thought Paris was closer. I still might do it just because I won't get to go there again.

Where are you staying in London? It's not for a while, but when my contract ends I plan to spend a week in London since I really won't get to see much of it for Southampton

Hmm.. really? I thought Paris was closer. I still might do it just because I won't get to go there again.
Like I mentioned, we would LOVE to see Paris.. :) If you won't get another chance, I'd do the tour with the 'group'.. All booked thru Princess! :D

Where are you staying in London? It's not for a while, but when my contract ends I plan to spend a week in London since I really won't get to see much of it for Southampton
We are staying at an apartment of 'a friend of a friend', so I will be of absolutely no help to you! Sorry.. :(

The Ports forum may give you recommended hotel info, or you can do a 'search' of our Roll Call, as there is/was quite a bit of talk about different venues! :D

Archived