Parasailing in Mexico?

We will be on an 11 night Mexican Riviera cruise on the Radiance in April and are interested in parasailing. I don't see any excursions for this on the RCCL site. After doing a google search I found the Caborey Parasailing company...Their prices on their site seem decent and it looks like they have a good reputation for parasailing and other water activities in Mexico.

If you've ever booked through Caborey, could you tell me about your experience?:o

Not sure about the company... But, keep in mind it is Mexico. I have seen unfortunate things happen :(

Really stupid statement. "Unfortunate things" can happen anywhere, not just Mexico.

FYI, to the OP, you will not have a hard time fining a place to parasail once you arrive. They are everywhere and during our 10 day stay in Puerto Vallarta, we saw tons and tons of people doing this, and never saw anything "unfortunate".

@parkay Thanks for the info! I'll have to keep my options open. And yes...unfortunate events can happen anywhere...not just Mexico! I wasn't too worried about that though. The company's website states that they've been in the business since the 60's. If they're still around I'd assume they are safe!

@cobra46 Good tip! My mother is great at negotiating prices...I'll have to bring that up to my family. The only worry is that I want to make sure we get a time slot for sure. IDK if all of the parasailing options will be swamped cause of spring break or not.

I'm not familiar with the company, but both Cabo and PV have parasailing available at many of the beaches. Mazatlan may as well, we've just never noticed it. It should be easy to find a vendor and negotiate a price.

Whirlybird is correct though, parasailing is a high risk activity with those rare but awful accidents. But if it's something you want to try, you should. Have a great time. :D:):D

I stayed in PV for a week and there was parasailing everywhere. I just decided to do it one day and it was amazing! So much fun. Have you searched the Mexico ports of call threads or TripAdvisor? There might be more info about the particular vendor. But otherwise, like another poster said, when you get there you should be able to find some great parasailing no problem.

They cater to tourists and need your money to stay in business. They're going to make sure you're safe. "Things" can happen anywhere. You know, like Sea World. :(

Have a great time!

LOL ...I think "attacked and killed by a killer whale in a theme park" is a little more infrequent than parasailing accidents. :D Not that I don't agree with you about freak accidents, but that's not really a good analogy.

There are a lot of fun things that we would like to do...depending on fitness ability and the safety history of the operator. Live your life, do fun stuff, but sometimes as you say...."things" do happen .:D:):D

LOL ...I think "attacked and killed by a killer whale in a theme park" is a little more infrequent than parasailing accidents. :D Not that I don't agree with you about freak accidents, but that's not really a good analogy.

There are a lot of fun things that we would like to do...depending on fitness ability and the safety history of the operator. Live your life, do fun stuff, but sometimes as you say...."things" do happen .:D:):D

I was being totally sarcastic. Of course parasailing is not close to the Sea World accident. My point was that even in "controlled" situations, things happen, and I don't know why someone would single out Mexico.

I'm so afraid of heights that I looked for any excuse not to go parasailing, trust me! Same with the zipline in Labadee. I actually had a list of everything that could go wrong on the zipline! :eek: You can't live your life like that. It's paralyzing.

We parasailed with JT Watersports in Cabo. Booked it right on the beach and they took us by water taxi right back to the tender pier. It was great. Would do it again.

Okay I'll have to check them out! Was the boat ride for a decent amount of time? How long do they keep you up in the air?

Just comparing ;)

Okay I'll have to check them out! Was the boat ride for a decent amount of time? How long do they keep you up in the air?

Just comparing ;)

I have to say we were in the air for 8-10 minutes. It seemed like a long time -- but I could be totally wrong. We went from one side of the bay to the other and then close to where the Mariner was parked. I know it was longer than when I was at Coco Cay.

It was just us and another couple. We both did tandum -- $70 for the couple. You could also go single for $40.

There are only two things for sure on this earth, taxes & death. So you might just what to have some fun in between those two options. It really is pretty safe. The driver of the boat really has a lot of control of what happens to you in the air.

Both times we have done it, the driver put us into the water up to our chests and took us right back up into the air, no problem, great time. GO FOR IT. My wife and I are SENIORS & she can't wait to go again.

I can tell you why the previous post "singled out Mexico." Their safety standards are not as high as we have in the United States! They simply are not as carefully regulated. Everything in Mexico is "at your own risk." I am not against parasailing... my husband loves it. When we were in Cancun, my girlfriend went parasailing. They were getting her ready on the beach, had the lifejacket there, tied the ropes, etc. Suddenly they whooshed her away into the air, and there was the life jacket still lying on the beach! I told the guy, who radioed his partner in the boat. They lowered her back down to get the life jacket and, you guessed it, dropped her right out in deep water and the parachute came down right on top of her. She was getting tangled up in the ropes while they swam out to help her. Well, they did get to her, but it was scary! They should have never taken her up without a life jacket. In her excitement to go up, she wasn't thinking about it.

All you can do is hope you get a reputable company, but always look out for yourself! To assume that other countries have the same safety standards is a mistake. But in spite of all that, enjoy yourself!

We will be on an 11 night Mexican Riviera cruise on the Radiance in April and are interested in parasailing. I don't see any excursions for this on the RCCL site. After doing a google search I found the Caborey Parasailing company...Their prices on their site seem decent and it looks like they have a good reputation for parasailing and other water activities in Mexico.

If you've ever booked through Caborey, could you tell me about your experience?:o

No but we just parasailed in January. I am 73, my daughter uses a wheelchair and does not walk. These guys are pros. The staff and crew were just great. I just got hammered for mentioned another venue so I will only say that it was the big red boat and their booth is just straight ahead when you exit the pier. We will be on the Mariner next Jan and will definitely do it again.

I can tell you why the previous post "singled out Mexico." Their safety standards are not as high as we have in the United States! They simply are not as carefully regulated. Everything in Mexico is "at your own risk." I am not against parasailing... my husband loves it. When we were in Cancun, my girlfriend went parasailing. They were getting her ready on the beach, had the lifejacket there, tied the ropes, etc. Suddenly they whooshed her away into the air, and there was the life jacket still lying on the beach! I told the guy, who radioed his partner in the boat. They lowered her back down to get the life jacket and, you guessed it, dropped her right out in deep water and the parachute came down right on top of her. She was getting tangled up in the ropes while they swam out to help her. Well, they did get to her, but it was scary! They should have never taken her up without a life jacket. In her excitement to go up, she wasn't thinking about it.

All you can do is hope you get a reputable company, but always look out for yourself! To assume that other countries have the same safety standards is a mistake. But in spite of all that, enjoy yourself!

I don't assume that the the ones in the US are all that safe either, actually. I always err on the side of conservatism when my safety is involved.

Archived