Earthquake near Santiago Chile -- Princess Sailings and Passengers

mmyorkston

Well, on a lighter note, there are 708 passengers on a ship designed to hold over 2600. I can say with great certainty that, whatever else they might be unhappy with, no one will post a review complaining about lack of theater seats, chair hogs, buffet lines and seating issues and a wait for Anytime Dining.

I did a repo cruise to South America once on a Celebrity ship designed to carry just under 1800 people. There were 700 passengers on board. They had just one dining time for dinner- 7pm - and it truly felt like a private yacht. I hope the current Star passengers find this cruise and the ship, now that they are actually on it, to provide a relaxing experience. They deserve it!

Well, on a lighter note, there are 708 passengers on a ship designed to hold over 2600.

Where did that 708 passenger count come from??

An announcement from Princess yesterday stated that 472 passengers from the previous voyage elected to stay on board at least until the first port of call, as well as 236 passengers from the current sailing who have reached Valparaiso/Santiago. This equal 708 persons. Are we to assume that no additional passengers reached the ship between the tally made on 3/3 and the time of sailing.

I would have to assume that some did, and the total would in reality be higher. In addition, an earlier post also indicated that additional passengers from the previous voyage were also refusing to leave the ship because of a 6.1 aftershock that occurred in Valparaiso has them scared to remain in Valparaiso or Santiago waiting for flights home.

Does anyone have updated information???

"In addition, an earlier post also indicated that additional passengers from the previous voyage were also refusing to leave the ship because of a 6.1 aftershock that occurred in Valparaiso has them scared to remain in Valparaiso or Santiago waiting for flights home."

It is gratifying that Princess did not try to put offloading passengers in danger's way also, if the passengers chose not to, or they couldn't get flights, but then of course keeping them on is generating additional revenue. ;-)

Interesting MO by Princess regarding incoming and outgoing, but I'm sure it was all quite altruistic! ;-)

Yes, I wonder what the count is?

Where did that 708 passenger count come from??

From yesterday's Princess announcement. Since the ship appeared to have been delayed a bit leaving Valparaiso this afternoon, it's very possible that more passengers found their way to the ship. Many of the flights from the US are overnight flights, and I thought the noon departure was going to be a bit tight, given that one has to pay an entrance tax at the airport in Santiago, go through customs and immigration, and take the transfer to Valpo. Even on a good day, flights can be delayed, and I would think that, in this case, even more of those flights are delayed. Maybe that's the reason for the later departure.

I would also be interested in knowing the final number, but would be shocked if the ship is sailing full. And, of course, there may be additional passengers boarding in one of the three ports (although airfare to anywhere except BA and Montevideo would have to be astonomical).

I just got home from the 2/18 trip this afternoon. One day later than I had originally planned. If I can answer anyone's questions I would be glad to from my experiences.

I am hoping to hear from others who have arrived home safely.

"In addition, an earlier post also indicated that additional passengers from the previous voyage were also refusing to leave the ship because of a 6.1 aftershock that occurred in Valparaiso has them scared to remain in Valparaiso or Santiago waiting for flights home."

It is gratifying that Princess did not try to put offloading passengers in danger's way also, if the passengers chose not to, or they couldn't get flights, but then of course keeping them on is generating additional revenue. ;-)

Interesting MO by Princess regarding incoming and outgoing, but I'm sure it was all quite altruistic! ;-)

Yes, I wonder what the count is?

I'm convinced that there's nothing Princess could do that would satisfy you. You praise them for doing the right thing in one sentence, but then question their motives in the next.

Oops, I re-checked, you didn't even start a new sentence. It was all in one rambling rant. Nicely done.

I think you're going just a little bit overboard here. Remember that earthquakes are pretty common in Chile, and that a 6.1 is likely not going to cause any significant damage owing to the building codes in place there. I can understand the thought process behind thinking that docking in Valparaiso was safe. They have to do something with the people who want to disembark.

A "sick corporate culture"? Please.

I was thinking the same. I've been within ten miles of two major earthquakes (around 6.6) and within 150 miles or so of some over 7.0. Once buildings have been inspected and given the green tag, it's more a matter of the nervewracking aftershocks, but not a danger at that point. Chile undoubtedly has more stringent building codes than Haiti (a country not on the Ring of Fire). Once the runways at the airport have been checked out for any potentially dangerous cracks, there's not a danger to aircraft, unless of course, a major aftershock happens at the exact time of landing. Hotels would have been checked out too for structural damage. I imagine many of the natives are sleeping outside (that happens here in LA whenever there's been a major quake...the parks become full of residents and sleeping bags).

The challenge for those with tickets for a cruise from this area is more trying to get to Santiago on the limited flights. The ship itself won't be in any damage from aftershocks unless it hits the wall of the dock hard.

I just got home from the 2/18 trip this afternoon. One day later than I had originally planned. If I can answer anyone's questions I would be glad to from my experiences.

I hope others from this sailing will post soon too.

Like I said If you booked Princess Air & Platinum Insurance you could have canceled for any reason. Like or not your the one responsible for your own travel plans including getting to the departure port! I do agree that Princess should have done a better job on this one.

I agree with you completely. If I was going to be taking a cruise halfway around the world, insurance would be mandatory. That seems to me to be common sense. And yes, Princess could have done a better job handling this... but I'm sure they weren't sitting around a table gleefully plotting to make their passengers suffer... :rolleyes:

welcome back MTJtraveller. How were conditions between Valparaiso and Santiago?

greatam, sackman, and anyone else who continues to post that it was more than feasible for passengers to get to the ship, please read the following from a passenger who could barely make it between Santiago and the port:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=23422146&postcount=1758

I just made it home today from the 2/18 sailing. It was an interesting time getting home. I truly don't think that many people made it to the ship as transportation in/out of Santiago was impossibly difficult. I would be happy to answer any questions as long as no one flames me....

Also, see the posts from people who made it as far as Buenos Aires, only to have the Santiago leg be impossible (with luggage lost).

WE are living this. WE are people who were ACTUALLY 3/2 Star Princess customers and went through this. If you were NOT 3/2 customers, you're just speculating about what we could or could not have done. And it's not very nice for us who are going through such a hard time.

welcome back MTJtraveller. How were conditions between Valparaiso and Santiago?

We got on a bus in Valparaiso and travelled thru the dark to Mendoza. The bus did not go thru Santiago. The roads were open and it's my understanding that most all the horrendous scenes are from Conception.

A better understanding of my geography would have been helpful in rearranging my travel plans. Mendoza was a great choice in getting out of the quake affected area.

We did do a tour on Tuesday of Valparaiso and saw some of the damage from the quake, we did not see anything that was really bad. Everyone in the city seemed to be going on with their everyday life.

Let passengers disembark if they want. Offer the other to take them back to the next avail. Port for a save and organized disembarkation also send the March 2 nd cruiser there and let them onboard. That gives everyone time to reshedule their flights.[/QUOute]

beeing involved in similar missions I have to say Princess did exactly the right thing

I'm pretty sure they had a professional on it's side, all those lawsuits from tradewinds etc. Bravo Princess

For all you folks slamming Princess. A lot of us are long time Princess cruisers and I myself have many cruises under my belt. I know you that you have your cruise disrupted by the Terramoto but nature happens. I have been thru a lot of problems cruising and Princess has always treated me right. This is why my in my opinion, most of you folks are overacting, in the end princess will do right by you. Maybe things have changed and I am completely wrong but I feel you will all end up O.K. I can only speak from my own experience but I bet a year from you will all laugh about this. Please cut princess a Little slack until the end and remember that situation is fluid.

For all you folks slamming Princess. A lot of us are long time Princess cruisers and I myself have many cruises under my belt. I know you that you have your cruise disrupted by the Terramoto but nature happens. I have been thru a lot of problems cruising and Princess has always treated me right. This is why my in my opinion, most of you folks are overacting, in the end princess will do right by you. Maybe things have changed and I am completely wrong but I feel you will all end up O.K. I can only speak from my own experience but I bet a year from you will all laugh about this. Please cut princess a Little slack until the end and remember that situation is fluid.

I'm sorry, but a company that was willing to push its passengers to enter a dangerous area despite travel advisories from governments and aftershocks are certainty not doing right! Later, we'll see.

A company that tells people they are leaving on the original departure date and to get non-existant flights or be classed as voluntary no shows isn't doing right. Later we'll see.

I honestly hope you're right, but so far, not so good!

I'm sorry, but a company that was willing to push its passengers to enter a dangerous area despite travel advisories from governments and aftershocks are certainty not doing right! Later, we'll see.

This is from MTJ; who was there March, 2nd:

"We did do a tour on Tuesday of Valparaiso and saw some of the damage from the quake, we did not see anything that was really bad. Everyone in the city seemed to be going on with their everyday life."

There's a large disparity in those two statements. MTJ's account is what my team in Santiago reported early on and have continued to report since then; and logistics with port agents, handlers, ships, goods, aid, et al proceeded as directed. It coincides with what Port Authority relayed to us (logistics and operations) and to the ships.

I think accounts from people on the ground would disagree with your assessment that a cruise line was sending people to their potential demise.

How about a time out.

There now are folks who were on the cruise posting their experience and perhaps some of those now aboard will post too.

None of the posts pro or con add any useful information about this incident and the corporate or individual reactions to it.

It would be most prudent to take a step back and let those with personal knowledge and experience to post those experiences rather than posting all of the non-supported conjecture.

Please go to Cruise Critic CRUISE NEWS for 2 updates from today March 4.

It appears that Cruise Critic in the Question and Answer portion seems to understand completely the plight of those of us who were supposed to board the Star in Santiago on March 2. In hindsight, Princess knows that they made many mistakes. They anwered many questions but stubbornly refused to realistically answer all the questions on compensation. There is a good chance that their PR will suffer.

We tried valiantly from Saturday to Tuesday to find a way to get to Santiago. As we are on the 32 day cruise we then decided to find a flight to Rio to embark on the cruise on March 16 as the ship has an over night there and that felt like a port they could not miss. We were told previously by Princess not to try to get to any of the other ports as they were not sure where they would stop.

We thought we had ourselves covered as we were to arrive a night before at the airport for the flight the next day and were to arrive in Santiago a day before the ship sailed to be sure we got on the ship on time.

Does Princess not understand that flights at the last moment are very expensive. The airline has reimbursed us for our flight to Santiago but Princess feels that they do not have to do the same!?!

I hope that we are least get an upgrade, perhaps some on board credit and an apology from Princess for not handling this as well as they should have. This will be our first cruise with Princess and may be our last.

We shall see:confused:

Barbara

I'll leave it to others to decide if Princess's pushing people to come to an area with government travel advisories against it and certainty aftershocks occurring was prudent. A 6.1 last night near Valparaiso occurred. Sorry not in red herring talk!

The risk factor to passengers was heightened, but it seems the bottom line was more important than their safety.

It seems rehashing is necessary!

Please go to Cruise Critic CRUISE NEWS for 2 updates from today March 4.

I just posted the links:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3728

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3729

Both links are definitely worth reading. I think Princess was pretty ignorant in thinking the airport would be up in "24 hours" and I agree with your comments about them being very stubborn in not answering some of the questions.

At least they acknowledged that they lacked communication to the customers and that they really needed to do more then "post something on their website".

I don't remember the numbers but weren't a good number of the passengers who did board on time were on a pre-cruise tour through Princess so they were in the country when the earthquake hit?

If you haven't seen this - this is Princess's response (day by day timeline) to how they acted. They responded to CC:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3728

Here is a question and answer: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3729

Ouch! CC really gave it to em, but unfortunately, the time line just kept being referred to.

I was quite undecided about all of this honestly, until I read that Q & A. Princess I realize is dealing with an unfamiliar disaster senerio, but come on, let's get real Princess. Some of these answers are just really denials and references to mistakes that Princess made (at the passengers expense I might add). IMHO!

Archived