MDR Dress?

A&Jfamily

Oh no, now you have me wondering what's going on at the CCL board. I'll have to go take a peek. :D

On non-elegant nights? I wear black pants and a dress shirt or I wear a dress that's not evening gown type dress.

But on Carnival I've seen all ranges of clothing - from jeans to gowns.

Now I have to go see what everyone else is saying. ;)

How about the kids? My 2 DS (5 and 11) are used to pants and collared shirts- they wear them everyday to school - in the summer, they even wear shorts. No blue jeans allowed except on spirit day.

But when we travel, I feel that the MDR is a step up - and I put the boys in their pants and collared shirts for dinner. And on elegant evening, they wear a long-sleeved dress shirt and tie. When my littlest was still small and wearing those cute 1 piece shortalls, I did those with white socks and dress shoes.

I am getting flamed left right and center for saying that even though the MDR allows shorts on non-elegant evening, that doesn't mean they should be worn.

I am just wondering how the parents feel on this one...particularly for the boys. Girls are often "better dressed" than boys because they want to look pretty in their sundresses.:D

A&Jfamily:

You will get only kudos from me for teaching your boys that there are appropriate types of attire for various times and places. Thank you! What you have them wear for dinner sounds absolutely perfect. We agree that just because shorts may be allowed by the cruise line(s) at dinner, it doesn't mean it's really appropriate. (OTOH, I'd be more inclined to use the "it's a formal dining room" card if the cruise lines stopped having the waitstaff sing and dance and such. That really doesn't add to the ambience or atmosphere.)

IMO, there's no reason that boys can't or shouldn't look nice at dinner. They'll thank you later when they start to notice girls. All the girls will be sure to notice how nice your boys look and will be more likely to remember them in a good way.

beachchick

So you are getting flamed for NOT putting your kids in shorts? :eek: Yeah that board never ceases to amaze me. Its safer over here. ;)

When my kids go to Mickey D's at home, they can wear shorts. I expect a little more from them when they go on cruises. I like to see my family dressed up. No, they all don't need to be wearing tuxes. But I like to see us all looking like we would be going out for a night on the town -- not for a day at Chuckee Cheese :D

So feel free to dress your kids like that. They are your kids. And they will look fabulous. :D:D:D

But when we travel, I feel that the MDR is a step up - and I put the boys in their pants and collared shirts for dinner. And on elegant evening, they wear a long-sleeved dress shirt and tie.

This is where we are, too. Our boys are in slacks and button down shirts on regular nights in the MDR, as are the men in the party. The girls, as you said, have no problem wearing sundresses and cardigans, just like the ladies. Our cabin on our next cruise will be directly over the MDR, and if they choose to do the kids' activities, they can run and change before they go. I suspect that on some nights, they might choose the shows, etc., where their dining room attire will still be appropriate.

A thread on the Carnival forum has me wondering. What dress do you think is appropriate for the MDR on non-elegant evenings?

Depends on the cruiseline you are sailing and the dress code they provide. They are your host and they are the ones who can tell you what is appropriate in their MDR. Nobody else's opinion matters. If you don't like what their code is then find a cruiseline that has a dress code you approve of.

Archived