Ships Ordered out of Honolulu

gehrandt

That live stream is working pretty well on my computer without too much freezing! Thanks!

EDIT: I spoke too soon.

I saw a video on TV a few minuites ago of two surfers on a beach! They must be crazy!

I had a freeze on it and restarted with Media Player & haven't had a problem since

I just read the following - wonder if the ship they are referring to is the PofA? I would presume that the other Hawaiian islands would be effected as well. We pray that it comes to nothing.

Ships trying to enter the port of Honolulu have been told to turn around, and any vessels now in the port are advised to leave ahead of a potential tsunami aimed at Hawaii, Chief Petty Officer Chad Saylor, a Coast Guard spokesman, told FoxNews.com.

They are clearing out the port so that emergency supplies and assistance will be able to easily get into the state if necessary.

The Coast Guard has made contact with all large vessels in the area, including a cruise ship, to let them know about the advisory.

The cruise ship was reported to have been refueling and was planning to depart before 6 a.m. (11 a.m. ET).

They cleared the ships out so that they would not be damaged. It has nothing to do with emergency supplies or assistance. A ship, or even a small boat, at sea will simply ride over the wave and barely notice that it is there.

Any ship with in the harbor will be pushed around by the wave and could end up on shore, even a full size cruise ship.

What happens to ships hanging out in the ocean if a tsunami hits? Aren't the waves projected to be over 50 feet????

I can see how it's safer than being docked at port but it still seems dangerous to me. :eek:

Katherine

A ship at sea will barely notice it. You have to understand that these are not like normal waves that hit the beach, they are just masses of water that move across the ocean. They are typically very wide and they don't do much until they run into a shallow area.

Listening to a live feed of Hawaii news outlet is fascinating. They are reporting all of the falsehoods that are coming from around the world:

- The whales have left the harbor, something is about to happen. There are no whales in the harbor.

- Hilo is completely under water. Nope.

- The water has receded 50 feet. Normal low tide.

They have a live camera on downtown Hilo which faces directly east and nothing has changed.

PE

We have been able to see a surfer on the CNN shore feed for some time. They don't have the camera in the same spot right now and never mentioned the fellow.

Mothers of surfers will worry for sure....and I'm glad my surfer son is nowhere near HI right now.

Thanks for reporting about the NCL ship. That was one of the first things I wondered about. As a child my great-aunts were always taking me to the cemetery where there was a monument to someone's daughter who was killed in a tsunami of the 1950s or the 1960 one.

Thank goodness they are warned and prepared.

We have family members living in Honalulu in a fairly high elevation. They express no fear from water damage but the beach areas are possibly in harms way. It appears that the tsunami has lost strength so far and will be minimal at this point. They have been asked to conserve water. We sailed to Alaska with them in July and are third generation Hawaiian. They have been asked to conserve water.

Well, the "government experts" [an oxymoron if ever there was one] predicted that the wave would hit Hilo at four minutes past ten, their time.

So, at about half past the predicted hour, they decided that there was an hour leeway in their prediction.

Now, way past the hour after the predicted time, with the poor guy just having to fill air time without even a commercial to give him a break, they have decided that they have indeed had two waves already.

My question is, if there is an hour fudge factor in the arrival time, why not say "approximately ten AM". Why the phony precision of predicting 10:04?

Well, the "government experts" [an oxymoron if ever there was one] predicted that the wave would hit Hilo at four minutes past ten, their time.

So, at about half past the predicted hour, they decided that there was an hour leeway in their prediction.

Now, way past the hour after the predicted time, with the poor guy just having to fill air time without even a commercial to give him a break, they have decided that they have indeed had two waves already.

My question is, if there is an hour fudge factor in the arrival time, why not say "approximately ten AM". Why the phony precision of predicting 10:04?

Actually the first recede and surge happened within 5 minutes of the prediction. I have been listening to a live feed form Hilo and their experts are explaining things very well.

Try the first link at the beginning of this thread.

PE

I was listening to and watching the link on post number ten. It did have one very entertaining bit when a live broadcast gave a dramatic illustration of the reason why there is often a five or six second delay in broadcast.

I think this tsunami is being exaggerated. Nothing is happening except the water level is rising a little. There is no flooding or damage in Hawaii.

Small or large it is still a tsunami, it seems to be surging and receding about a total of about 2-3 feet. Thank heavens it is smaller than expected. I believe the Indonesian tsunami had five cycles before the big stuff did all of the destruction. I personally hope nothing bigger occurs and everything gets back to normal soon.

Would you be happier if there was mass destruction?

PE

Small or large it is still a tsunami' date=' it seems to be surging and receding about a total of about 2-3 feet. Thank heavens it is smaller than expected. I believe the Indonesian tsunami had five cycles before the big stuff did all of the destruction. I personally hope nothing bigger occurs and everything gets back to normal soon.[/color']

Would you be happier if there was mass destruction?

PE

I don't think the poster is implying that they want any such thing. I totally agree that so far, thank goodness, nothing serious is happening in Hawaii. I hope and pray it stays that way and that somehow our fellow CCers, who were supposed to cruise out today, can get on board either later tonight or maybe early tomorrow.

CNN says it's normal low tide....

I hate the sensationalism of news outlets.

I agree 100%. I was watching the MSNBC coverage at about the time the tsunami was supposed to hit Hawaii, and it was pitiful, because they had nothing to cover, because, nothing was really happening. After about 1/2 hour of nothing happening and the newscasters trying to bleed what little news they could get, I turned it off. Not that I was hoping or wanting anything to happen, I just wanted to see what "was" happening.

Fin, it looks like the Sun is off the coast of Argentina (Shiptracker website), so cruisers on the Sun might not be impacted.

On the same site, it looks like the POA is hanging out somewhere north of Molokai and Maui.

I just returned from the NCL Sun 2/15/10 and this is the last season the Sun will be doing South America. They will be doing the Baltic and Caribbean instead.

It appears that NCL is no longer doing South America starting in 2011.

I think this tsunami is being exaggerated. Nothing is happening except the water level is rising a little. There is no flooding or damage in Hawaii.

Predicting Tsunami damage is no where near perfect yet. And the media? Well, I don't think anyone expects anything less then sensationalism, backed up by unconfirmed rumors.

At least we know path, and time frame prediction is pretty good. And that there was enough notice for folks to be calmly evacuated.

All in all, a damn fine day for the folks in HI.

Archived