Same day

jlmlhc

I know, I know that I should have flown in the day before - but because of my work schedule I have no choice - I'm flying in American the same day - flight gets in at 9:35am and is nonstop - I did buy insurance - but my question is - should I worry too much about my luggage with a direct flight? And coming in at 9:35am seems like plenty of time? I plan on taking a shuttle over to the pier - are these pretty idiot proof - never done this before and don't want to wander aroung LAX trying to figure out where to get my shuttle.

The shuttles are right outside baggage claim. Lots of signs, you just cross the street to the median. If you booked Super or Prime Time the attendants will be wearing red (Super) or blue (Prime Time) vests. Easy to find. We fly in to LAX the same day all of the time and so far have been lucky and have not even been close to missing the ship. Work issues for us as well. Never say never, but you should be fine barring anything drastic like a cancelled flight.

I know, I know that I should have flown in the day before - but because of my work schedule I have no choice - I'm flying in American the same day - flight gets in at 9:35am and is nonstop - I did buy insurance - but my question is - should I worry too much about my luggage with a direct flight? And coming in at 9:35am seems like plenty of time? I plan on taking a shuttle over to the pier - are these pretty idiot proof - never done this before and don't want to wander aroung LAX trying to figure out where to get my shuttle.

There are generally less luggage issues with a non-stop flight. However mistakes do happen. Regardless of whether I take a non-stop or connecting flight I always pack a few interchangeable pieces of clothing just in case something happens with my luggage. This way my cruise is not ruined if my luggage does not arrive. I have a 5 coordinated pieices that go from day time casual to dressy that will carry me through the entire cruise. Remember even if you luggage arrives at the airport , the cruise line can still screw up.

We had a direct flight from Boston to San Juan back in August on American Airlines. They sent my luggage to Shanghai, China. Check the tag that they put on the luggage when giving them your luggage ... make sure they know their airport codes. If I had checked I would have seen that they did not have a tag on the suitcase that said SJU. Jan

You should be fine, but if you are AT ALL nervous, don't use the shuttle. You *can* go by way of Outer Mongolia. It has happened to me.

If you want to be sure to go directly from curb to curb, without circling LAX three times (or four) and then making four stops: two residential, two hotels, before getting to the port, then use a cab. It's a better deal if you find someone to share the ride with you.

You really should be okay, but when flying it is always a good idea to cross pack (pack by outfit in different suitcases instead of one suitcase per person) that way if you get some of your luggage you will have some complete outfits.

Also bring a carryon with a few undies, a swimsuit, coverup flip flops, and a couple rolled up outfits to get you through a couple days. I always roll up a dress, capris a pair of shorts and 3 t shirts. That will easily fit in a carryon. I know kind of anal, but it keeps me from worrying about it too much.

Have a fabulous time!

I always pack my carry on as if I will never see my checked suitcase!! So as the above posters have advised: swim suit, flip flops, undies, a nice outfit & shoes;) and a play outfit or two....make up and that kind of stuff very easy to replace on board....undies not so much and if you are short and round like I am I can't just buy off the rack, everything is either to long or too tight :-)

As long as I pack this way I know I will always get my luggage, however I know that the first time I break my own rules.....my bags will go to China while I go to Europe.....:rolleyes:

Happy cruising and have a wonderful time!

Archived