Booked another cruise... need help w/ trip insurance

MnAsMom

I declined the insurance offered by RCCL cause I remember everyone saying it's better to go to insuremytrip or the like. So I went to that site and there are so many options I have no idea what I am looking at. We will be driving to the port so I don't need to cover flights and such. I wanted to cover cancellations due to illness or injury and I suppose medical should we need to be airlifted etc. What do I need to look for on the insurance sites??? Please help me if you've done this before. Oh and the cruise line quoted $176 for our family of 4... I am assuming we can do better pricewise?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

~Tondi

I went with Travelex because they are a primary provider for health and medical evac, which to me was really important since our current insurance does NOT cover out of the country. I don't remember offhand what their cancellation policy was, but I do know that they didn't charge for the kids.

I went with Travelex because they are a primary provider for health and medical evac, which to me was really important since our current insurance does NOT cover out of the country. I don't remember offhand what their cancellation policy was, but I do know that they didn't charge for the kids.

Thanks! I will look for them. Did you go to them directly or through insuremytrip. com ?

I went with Travelex too, through the insure site - my TA had me with them at more than double what I could book myself!!!!:eek:

Is the minimum coverage enough? I think it was something like $58... I was assuming per person.... but I had input all 4 of us. Could it be 58 for the whole family??

Do I need $100,000 for medical evac or $500,000. I have no clue what something like that could even cost! The plan with 500,000 is $90.

I guess I may have to wait and talk to someone there. I am clueless and would feel like an idiot buying something and thinking I was covered only to find I didn't buy correctly.

I honestly have no idea - believe me, I'm no expert on travel insurance!! There is a place on the webpage that says the price is for all, the coverage amounts are per person, so whatever price they're quoting you should cover all four of you - I'd just look for that to make sure.

As for the coverage amounts, my plan has 100k for medevac - is that enough? I don't know; I have no idea how much something like that costs. I would think it may vary depending on where you are.

Sorry I'm not being more helpful - I think insurance is one of those things that you never know WHAT you need until you actually need it!!!

I declined the insurance offered by RCCL cause I remember everyone saying it's better to go to insuremytrip or the like. So I went to that site and there are so many options I have no idea what I am looking at. We will be driving to the port so I don't need to cover flights and such. I wanted to cover cancellations due to illness or injury and I suppose medical should we need to be airlifted etc. What do I need to look for on the insurance sites??? Please help me if you've done this before. Oh and the cruise line quoted $176 for our family of 4... I am assuming we can do better pricewise?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

~Tondi

I couldn't make heads or tails of their website (I just don't "get it" when it comes to coverage) - so I called the 800# & talked to someone who helped me through all the steps explaining what was covered & the best way to do it. It was nice because I paid for the 2 adults & the kids were free! They were extremely helpful.

Archived