Venice ?

LJH1

We were there early sept of 2008, it was hot and humid time of the year, didn't notice anything foul. I think a combination of tide and weather can likely produce conditions ripe for smell, but again in our two days there didn't notice anything.

Can anyone advise if there is a sewage smell through the canals as I'm concerned about hotel selection if so? Thanks

Been there several times and at different times of the year. In the summer it can be a bit 'stuffy" as it could get very hot. I never encountered any foul smells.

I have a hint though, try not to take a gondola ride during a low tide. There may very well be a bit of an odor then, as you are below the hi water line. The canals are narrow and the sides are slimey.

Been there several times and at different times of the year. In the summer it can be a bit 'stuffy" as it could get very hot. I never encountered any foul smells.

I have a hint though, try not to take a gondola ride during a low tide. There may very well be a bit of an odor then, as you are below the hi water line. The canals are narrow and the sides are slimey.

Thanks for that tip, it makes sense. While I could tolerate an odor for an hour or two I wouldn't want to sleep with it 24/7.

Archived