Dog Sledding

loanin

Are you talking about the helicopter glacier landing out of Juneau where you visit the dog sled camp up on the Mendenhall Glacier?

Pros - once in a lifetime experience, with beautiful and spectacular views. Exciting and fun for all ages.

Cons - as noted above, it's very expensive. If weather is bad or visibility is poor (think fog), this excursion gets cancelled or modified. Can't anticipate weather conditions in advance. So have back-up plans, as Budget Queen always recommends.

Here are some photos from our glacier/dog sledding excursion in August of 2006:

http://nwsheppards.shutterfly.com/mendenhallglacierdogsledexcurs

Are you talking about the helicopter glacier landing out of Juneau where you visit the dog sled camp up on the Mendenhall Glacier?

Pros - once in a lifetime experience, with beautiful and spectacular views. Exciting and fun for all ages.

Cons - as noted above, it's very expensive. If weather is bad or visibility is poor (think fog), this excursion gets cancelled or modified. Can't anticipate weather conditions in advance. So have back-up plans, as Budget Queen always recommends.

Here are some photos from our glacier/dog sledding excursion in August of 2006:

http://nwsheppards.shutterfly.com/mendenhallglacierdogsledexcurs

Wow!!! your photos are amazing...

If weather is bad or visibility is poor (think fog), this excursion gets cancelled or modified. [/url]

Not sure what your "modified" reference is, but either these tours run or they don't. There is nothing to modify??

It is the most canceled of Alaska excursions. Juneau sightly more than Skagway, Seward less.

You do not drive your sled. It is set up with two sleds together, group of 4, professional driver, 2 passengers in the basket, one on breaks. You switch off positions.

Cart rides are available, Juneau and Skagway have ship excursions. Carcross is drivable from Skagway to Caribou Crossing, Seward has an excellent cart ride (in my opinion), and the cheapest of the cheap ride, about $10, is available most day from the Wasilla Sled dog Headquarter Museum with Reddington dogs. There are many opportunites interior Alaska, as a lot of private kennel owners will use visitors to suppliment their expenses. There is a free sled dog demo and kennel visit available at Denali park.

I went dog sledding in july of 06. took the first tour of the day.. it was warm up there from the sun. we were told only a few more weeks of season up there. it was expensive and you do not spend enough time on the sled but it was fun.

Not sure what your "modified" reference is, but either these tours run or they don't. There is nothing to modify??

In my experience, if the weather permits, you may be offered the "pilot's choice" option to fly and land elsewhere on the Juneau icefield, minus the dog-sledding experience.

In my experience, if the weather permits, you may be offered the "pilot's choice" option to fly and land elsewhere on the Juneau icefield, minus the dog-sledding experience.

Correct, sometimes alternative flightseeing will be offered, but the dog sledding is over.

BQ: You state Seward has an excellent cart "dog sledding" ride. Are you referring to the Seavey's Ididaride? If not, what other cart ride is in Seward?

Yes, it is still a good price, and very well done kennel and cart ride visit.

BQ: Thanks for your input. Glad to hear Seaveys is worthwhile. For those interested, the cost for the sled ride is $59.00 per adult and $29.00 per child. Child is 11 or under. Tour is 1.5 hours and I believe they offer a shuttle from downtown Seward to their site.

If you go to the Ididaride web site (just Google the name) you will find a video that shows you the facility at Seavey's. It is a "cart" which holds about 5 or 6 people and is pulled by a team of dogs. It is done on a dirt road through the forest around the kennels. The dogs seem to love the run and I have read that it is fun. I also found a couple of videos on YouTube if you are interested.

I also looked up the web site for the 2010 Iditarod race which is scheduled to begin March 6, 2010. Looks like Mitch Seavey is listed as one of the mushers and there are about 70 teams running.

We took the dog sled tour in Skagway last June. It was great for us because we were missing our dogs at the time. This tour is not for people who do not own or otherwise really like dogs. There is a strong dog odor at the camp and it is noisy with barking dogs. Here's my blog entry from that day for a bit more info http://appytales.blogspot.com/2009/10/daily-program-for-tuesday-june-16-2009.html

and I have some photos here http://appytales.blogspot.com/2009/10/photos-of-skagway-and-mushers-dog-sled.html

Bottom line is there isn't much to do in Skagway so this might be the place to do the dog sledding. No dog tours in Ketchikan. Juneau is iffy, depending on the weather. When we got to Juneau the dog sled tour had been cancelled so we were glad we booked Skagway. In Skagway there are no tour operators hanging out at the dock to book you on trips, so if you want to do it here book the shore excursion. In Juneau there were kiosks at the dock with several tour operators, some of them with signs selling dog sled tours. So you can take your chances here and get a lower priced tour if they're operating the day you're in port. Have fun!

We took the dog sled tour in Skagway last June. It was great for us because we were missing our dogs at the time. This tour is not for people who do not own or otherwise really like dogs. There is a strong dog odor at the camp and it is noisy with barking dogs. Here's my blog entry from that day for a bit more info http://appytales.blogspot.com/2009/10/daily-program-for-tuesday-june-16-2009.html

and I have some photos here http://appytales.blogspot.com/2009/10/photos-of-skagway-and-mushers-dog-sled.html

Bottom line is there isn't much to do in Skagway so this might be the place to do the dog sledding. No dog tours in Ketchikan. Juneau is iffy, depending on the weather. When we got to Juneau the dog sled tour had been cancelled so we were glad we booked Skagway. In Skagway there are no tour operators hanging out at the dock to book you on trips, so if you want to do it here book the shore excursion. In Juneau there were kiosks at the dock with several tour operators, some of them with signs selling dog sled tours. So you can take your chances here and get a lower priced tour if they're operating the day you're in port. Have fun!

There is plenty to see and do in Skagway, you apparently are unaware of it. There also are people selling some touring at the end of the railroad dock, and the

Skagway can be very helpful with last minute bookings. There are cart rides available out of both Juneau and Skagway, booked through the ship tours.

dear middle aged mom - your photos are amazing. What camera did you use?

Thanks kindly, but I actually didn't take any of the photos; my husband and oldest daughter did that. I'll let them know how much their pictures have been enjoyed here. They used pocket digitals of some kind; I'm embarrassed to say I don't know anything about them:o. Alaska is so beautiful that, in my opinion, you don't have to be a great photographer or have the latest and fanciest equipment to take a decent photo. You only need an appreciative eye:).

We did the helicopter and dogsledding with Coastal last year. I was with my 2 daughters and 3 other family member... We were very lucky and it was a gorgeous day. My daughters just wore long sleeve shirts on the glacier. This was their favorite excursion (they are 16 and 18).

However, I am headed back to Alaska again this year and will not be doing it again. To me, it was a one time thing - as it was very expensive. For our "expensive" excursion this year, we are planning a floatplane trip to Anan to hopefully see some bears (from Ketchikan).

IMG_0980.jpg.f4d336543091db67f2d69a96bcd789af.jpg

Archived