Steamboat Natchez

nybumpkin

The Natchez is a fun boat. You can enjoy a little river cruise with some NO buffet. It's not the best food but the experience is fun. I'm a local and my wife and I had a good time. I agree, look for discount coupons if possible.

My daughter from L.A. was here for Christmas, and we were in N.O. for a coupla days w/other daughter who lives in the Quarter. The three of us took the lunch cruise on the Natchez. Enjoyed it immensely, as always, even tho it was a bit chilly. The live jazz music is always great.

You can go on the Natchez cruise with or without lunch. There's also an evening cruise that includes dinner. If you want romantic, go on the evening cruise - otherwise, you can see lots more in the daytime.

I highly recommend this. It's about a two-hour cruise, and the cost is very reasonable. As far as the food they offer - it's a good sampling of creole/cajun, but keep it mind, it isn't N.O. restaurant gourmet.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I can highly recommend a harbor cruise on the steamer Natchez! I´ve been in NO last December and cruised the Natchez on several days experienceing different narrators and calliope players. All are really excellent! Take a seat on the port side but keep away from the steam whistle (located on the pilot house) which blows at the beginning and the end of the cruise. It can be really loud. Food is excellent. Get your discount coupon and go the company´s website for more information:

http://www.steamboatnatchez.com/

steamboats

I echo what Steamboats just said. There are other excursion boats operating in the New Orleans Harbor, but there is only one which uses honest to God 1920's vintage steam engines to move the boat with and against the water shed of over half of the United States.

And if you sit under that brass Lunkenheimer whistle when they blow it, and it screaches a little, tell the pilot that on the BELLE OF LOUISVILLE they use "Bill's Mentholatum" to stop the screatching!;-)

DH and I love steam whistles! The Great Lakes Historical Society (to which we belong - DH is originally from Cleveland) has held "whistle pulls," where they hook up steam whistles from long-gone steamboats to a steam supply and blow the whistles. Can't duplicate that sound!

Hi Kathy,

Then you shouldn´t miss the ride on the Natchez!! And be there early to listen to the steam calliope, too.

My advice to stay away from the whistle was for those not used to them. The NATCHEZ´ whistle is really loud and exspecially with small kids or babies you should search for another place during the cruise (that was the advice of one of the captains to a family with a newborn).

If you love steam whistles you will find a lot of sound files on our websites about steamboats.

steamboats

Archived