Deciding between Carnival Cruise & Disney World

smuggs

Remember that at Disney, your 9 yr old becomes an "adult" when they turn 10. Makes a huge difference in price, esp if you do the dining plan. Don't know if that makes a difference in your decision...:p

That said, we're huge Disney fans giving it up this year to take our first cruise. Hope we love it as much as Disney! Enjoy your vacation either way!!

Also, I know that they don't charge for disney passes until they're 3. We took advantage when our youngest was 2.5 and he loved it just as much as the rest of us. We got up early and by 2pm headed home for a rest/swim/downtime. In the evenings we headed back for some more rides and fireworks.

If you go to Disney in August it will be hot and it will rain at some point almost every day. If your family goes to the parks early in the day and then relaxes mid day and goes back later in the day you will enjoy it more. Most of Central FL schools will be back in school starting on the 23rd of August.

We started taking our daughter to Magic Kingdom when she was 3 and she loved it. We have gone to one of the parks at least 2 - 3 times each year and now she has no desire to go to Magic Kingdom but prefers Epcot. (She is almost 7)

She went on her first cruise (Disney) when she was 5 and loved it. She only spent a couple of hours in the kids area during the cruise and found it to be boring. We are going on a Carnival cruise in May following the itinerary that you had also chosen and she is thrilled to be going on a cruise again.

Either vacation you choose I think your children will enjoy.

I don't think you can go wrong whichever way you decide. We live in California and have two boys, 16 and 14. Both have done a cruise with us (to the Eastern Caribbean) and WDW several times. The first time our oldest was 2. At 16 he still enjoys it. We are doing the Western Caribbean this summer and they are both really looking forward to it. I definitely recommend two cabins. Last time we were all in a jr suite and it was a bit cramped. We're doing a jr. suite and an inside this time. Like the others have said, whatever you decide, you won't go wrong.

We plan on going to disney every few years until he is old enough to where he doesn't want to go.

Uh, I'm 53, and I still like going to Disney. What can I say, I'm a big kid at heart. About the only years most people don't want to go to WDW is that late teens to early twenties period, especially the boys. And even then, if they can go with a friend or two and have some independence, many will still go and have a great time.

You will have fun no matter what you choose, we have done disney quite a few times when our kids were young and we have done many cruises. (by the way, there is nothing wrong with Carnival contrary to what some say!) If you want to find something wrong you will :) Seeing what others have said about going on a cruise early in the year, jan/feb it can be quite cold. We like doing cruises in middle May, its really warm, the college kids are just out of school and cant pay for a cruise after their spring break, and rug rats (yes we have three but the youngest is 18 and off to college this coming school year) We are doing the Dream july 17 for our sons wedding, but instead of on the ship they are getting married on the beach in st thomas. Sure it will be quite hot, but it beats the snow anytime! :) Have fun on your cruise no matter what ship you choose!

so...We did an "about-face" today. A 2 Bedroom condo at Disney's Old Key West resort opened up for Oct 29 - Nov 5 this year...so, I grabbed it. Looks like we'll be spending Halloween in Disney this year (with many others from Jersey) and will look to do the cruise with the family next year.

Took our oldest two kids to WDW in June of 1978 (I know, I know). Oldest was 4 1/2, youngest was just under 2. The only thing there was Magic Kingdom. I have to say, it was totally miserable, weather-wise! We didn't know any better. There were no cool-down stations, and we kept having to pop into air-conditioned stores just to survive. Hot and humid and rain! None of us really enjoyed this trip. I had lived in Southern FL as a kid, but we were right across the street from the beach, and guess I forgot how awful the summer months can be. During the intervening years, we went to DL, as it was much closer.No weather problems. Many years later, I went back to WDW in Jan of 2002, and nearly froze to death! I had been on a HAL Christmas cruise, and only had a pair of jeans, a T-neck, and a sweater. (It was that river ride in Animal Kingdom that soaked me!) In late April, I went back, and it was perfect! October weather should be fine, barring any of the dreaded hurricanes, but we have had an uneventful past few years. Summer months in Florida are why many people who live there have Northern summer homes.

so...We did an "about-face" today. A 2 Bedroom condo at Disney's Old Key West resort opened up for Oct 29 - Nov 5 this year...so, I grabbed it. Looks like we'll be spending Halloween in Disney this year (with many others from Jersey) and will look to do the cruise with the family next year.

Good choice! :D

That's what I would have done. Actually, that's what I DID do, last year.

Here's the link to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. Just remember, it's a separate ticket. So if you don't purchase one, you won't be able to get into Magic Kingdom the night they are holding it while you are there. It's only on certain nights....

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/parks/magic-kingdom/special-events/mickeys-not-so-scary-halloween-party/

yep...since I'm already paid (paying) for my timeshare at smugglers notch, it's great to be able to take advantage of all the points I have and get a 2 bedroom condo for less than $250 for the week...plus, as you say cruisinmama, we'll be able to be there for halloween (yep...knew about the separate ticket...thanks for reminding me). since we'll be checking in on a friday, I'm now thinking about trying to extend our stay by 2 days so we can fly back the following sunday. hoping to stay at disney, but may look to just rent a minivan for the weekend and stay near universal (can probably use some marrriott or hilton points and get something nearby there)

so, off to plan out the details and figure out what restaurants we want to plan nice dinners at...then we'll hit the planning for the 2011 cruise later this year (we'll get on a ship yet)

thanks, everyone, for the support and insight

You might want to also check the 3 day cruises and add 3 days on a ship AFTER your time in WDW. We did that in 2008. We did WDW and the Mickey Not So Scary Halloween Party for 6 days in September (yep that party starts early) and then we hopped on the Wonder for 3 days. But Wonder was actually cheaper at the time than say, Royal Caribbean Sovereign.

But I would check to see the prices of tickets to Universal for the entire family verses adding a weekend cruise on a Carnival ship. Might be worth jumping onboard for a couple of days to the Bahamas. I've seen the prices drop to $119 per person for a cruise during that time period. And I think the prices for the tickets to Universal are what, $99pp?

Might be something to think about. ;)

Now that's not including port fees and tips - but you would have to pay to eat while you are at Universal. So I guess what I am saying is take a look at what you would spend at Universal (even with using points at a hotel) and then see if you can do it cheaper onboard a cruise ship for the weekend. :) It was pretty relaxing for us, after doing Disney we felt like we got to take a vacation from the craziness of the park with a few days on a ship.

Happy Planning!

that's a good idea...thanks, i'll look into that. that said, the one challenge I now have is that my oldest wants to go to universal for the new harry potter ride...so, i'm kinda stuck needing to go there for at least one day. i also need to factor in how many days they will miss school (should be 3 based on past year's school calendars) as they will miss 4 or 5 in feb for our annual ski trip. our oldest will be in 3rd grade and is a good student...so i'm not overly concerned about missing the days (especially since they'll be broken up over the first and second halves of the year).

we also just may pull all the stops out in summer 2011 and do a mediterranean cruise plus some land time in europe.

Over-ruled by Harry Potter - LOL!!!!!

Well, Universal Tickets One Day Tickets are $79 (Ages 10 and above), $69.99 (Ages 3-9) - add $30 per ticket for Park To Park access (both parks)

Then it's $109.99 and $96.99 for Two Days - add $12.50 per ticket for Park to Park access.

I agree with your son, that Harry Potter promo looks really cool!

and my youngest will have just turned 3 on Oct 15 (but, since we don't HAVE to have ID for him as we would on a cruise....his b-day could be Nov 15 for all anybody knows.);)

HAHAHAHAHA! Until someone at the gate says to him, how old are you sweetie? And he says "I'm THREE!" as you try to push him through the gate muttering "It's the heat, the kid doesn't know what he's talking about!" :o

LMBO!!!!!

Archived