Norovirus and the buffet

scdreamer

Ugh, I have been reading so many threads regarding the past and recent outbreaks of norovirus on cruise ships. It's almost making me second guess our plans for an Alaskan cruise this summer.

Question: Why doesn't Celebrity have its staff dish out the buffet offerings for passengers, instead of everyone touching the serving utensils one after the other? That appears to be an obvious point of entry for the virus to move from person to person. Seems that the extra cost for staff time would still be more cost effective than having to disinfect the entire ship every time there's an outbreak, not to mention the less than positive publicity the outbreaks bring.

We have cruised on Oceania, and that's exactly how their buffets were run. It actually adds a bit of elegance to the experience ... as they even carry your plate to your table for you.

With luck, the Norovirus "season" will be over by your Alaska trip. While you can get it any time of year, most major outbreaks seem to occur between January and April. And during an outbreak, most cruise lines, including Celebrity have used servers at the buffet.

On the newer S class ships, the buffet area is set up so it is very hard to have servers.

Just returned on Summit and we had an outbreak. They did just that - served everything, even tea and coffee and announced they would not be shaking hands to help the situation! Everwhere you went they put hand sanitizer in to your hands. We understood a fair number of people were sick but felt celbrity were open and honest and got on top of it fast. We had breakfast in the dining room or on our balcony and just tried to be sensible.

On our 12 night Mercury in January there was no outbreak that I knew of.

But most of the buffet was indeed served by the crew. Perhaps the only 'serve yourself' items I remember was fruit, and water. Otherwise I remember asking for whatever I wanted and being served.

Celebrity does serve the pax when and if there is an outbreak.

I believe the OP is asking about serving us the rest of the time.

The question is a legit one but as for giving an answer that is acceptable?

Aren't Oceania ships much smaller? With much less passengers? It is

probably easier to serve because there are not so many people.

(just a guess).

As for why X doesn't serve us when everyone is well?

Some of the items are served. Why its not everything? You might

want to ask Celebrity or maybe someone on here has the correct

answer.

I always bring a plastic baggie & hand wipes w/ me when I cruise. Each time I eat I carry the wipes w/ me. I use a wipe at the buffet after I've served myself everything & am about to touch my eating utensils. I use the wipes in the MDR (!!) after I hand over the menu. I know it sounds crazy & people probably look at me funny but I feel better doing that.

I know the hand wipes do not claim to kill viruses but there was a lengthy thread on CC about a year ago about this topic & what I learned from others' posts & researching on the internet myself, the ingredients in the wipes DO kill viruses ... for some reason that claim cannot be made on the package, tho (don't know why).

I always bring a plastic baggie & hand wipes w/ me when I cruise. Each time I eat I carry the wipes w/ me. I use a wipe at the buffet after I've served myself everything & am about to touch my eating utensils. I use the wipes in the MDR (!!) after I hand over the menu. I know it sounds crazy & people probably look at me funny but I feel better doing that.

I know the hand wipes do not claim to kill viruses but there was a lengthy thread on CC about a year ago about this topic & what I learned from others' posts & researching on the internet myself, the ingredients in the wipes DO kill viruses ... for some reason that claim cannot be made on the package, tho (don't know why).

Hi Bonnie, you do what works for you:):D..we are all different.

I have no desire to carry anything extra with me. If you feel better

doing it..then go for it!

I use the sanitizer outside of the buffet and the dining room and

I wash my hands when I am supposed to;)

Hi Bonnie,

You are not alone:D I do this also and have had my share of strange looks. It does not bother me in the least. If I can do something to stay well, I will do it. Can't hurt and it might just help.

Anne

I use the sanitizer outside of the buffet and the dining room and I wash my hands when I am supposed to;)

That's all fine and dandy, but once you enter the buffet and touch serving utensils after someone else with dirty hands.................:eek:

That's all fine and dandy, but once you enter the buffet and touch serving utensils after someone else with dirty hands.................:eek:

I usually enter the buffet and keep walking;):):D...they have stir

fry areas, pasta areas and sushi too. To be honest, I do understand

your post but I usually end up eating where my hands are not in contact

with the utensils you are talking about:)

For the other side of the coin, we were cruising on the Century over10 years ago (when Norovirus was called Norwalk virus and virtually unknown on cruise ships). While standing in line at the poolside buffet, a hand reached in between us and grabbed a handful of fries. The cruiselines always will have to deal with poor hygeine in addition to boorish behavior.

It just goes to show you, that with all the given precautions and hand sanitizing, you still are at risk for getting sick. You cannot replace good hygiene and good manners with hand sanitizers and people who don't tell the truth when filling out the health waiver, shame on you. We were on the Mercury earlier this month, and did not hear that there were any viruses aboard. Even though most items are served by the staff in the buffet area, there are still plenty of other things you serve yourself that get touched by people licking there fingers or who knows what else. I understand, the concern, no one wants their vacation ruined by being sick, but let's not get paranoid about it either.

I had Norovirus on the Infinity about 8 years ago. As a physician, I knew what to do and started a self-imposed quarantine. I went to the infirmary to inform them in case they needed to gather epidemiologic information. They didn't want to hear from me, since I was not formally seeking care. They told me that they didn't have to report it unless 20% of the Pax and crew had it, so they didn't even take my name (in order to keep below 20%).

Archived